Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #15
chrismarvin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
its funny because people will flash their brights at me at least once every time i drive at night and i just flash mine back to show i never had them on haha
Old 02-04-2016, 10:58 AM   #16
94turbolsx

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Step on over to BMW's configurator and see the option price of those very complicated adaptive led headlights. I would take the hid over the low end led projector thats in say a Corolla. With hid in place in the Camaro, there are some nice upgrade options for the projector housing and lens through the retrofit source.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #17
94turbolsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob13567 View Post
you can now buy aftermarket LEDs bulbs for the headlights, pretty sure they will make some for the 2016 camaro soon.
HIDs are brighter than LEDs and cheaper, but they get hot and have more glare. LEDs are smaller, run cooler and get to thier top brightness faster than HIDS. LEDs can also bend light beam for on coming traffic(like laser lights) only if you have alot like acura's new "jewel eyes" or bmw and audi's new led headlights(expensive). fords LEDs do not do this and they have even made fun of acura for having too many LEDs.
Those aftermarket led bulbs are still not meant to be used as low beam headlights. Hid systems can bend in the curves as well, the projectors are mounted in swivel frames tied to yaw sensors and steering input. Like you said, the adaptive led systems from audi, bmw and merc are mega cost options. Leds produce alot of heat themselves and therefore while they might be less bulky out of the headlight via no ballast ignitor ect, on the inside of the headlight the cheaper Corolla type led projector is bulky and has large heatsink and they still need a led driver.

Its still new enough tech where the really good systems are not cost efficient.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #18
Bumblebee6430

Drives: 2012 2SS Transformers Edition
My dad has a 2016 Silverado LTZ and they now come with LED headlights, and I mean the actual LED projection lamps, not just the new LED strips. Personally I think that they are ALOT brighter than any other car I have ever driven with Xenon HID bulbs. When I go back to driving my SS/RS I feel like I have some weak headlights
Bumblebee6430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #19
leadfoot93
Camaro Fan

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismarvin View Post
its funny because people will flash their brights at me at least once every time i drive at night and i just flash mine back to show i never had them on haha
I get this all the time now lol. I flash them back
3800 Status: 10/13/15 VIN #116519
4200 Status: 12/19/15
Delivered : 12/28/15
leadfoot93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:35 PM   #20
JoeySD

Drives: 2006 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee6430 View Post
My dad has a 2016 Silverado LTZ and they now come with LED headlights, and I mean the actual LED projection lamps, not just the new LED strips. Personally I think that they are ALOT brighter than any other car I have ever driven with Xenon HID bulbs. When I go back to driving my SS/RS I feel like I have some weak headlights

yes totally agree !!!!
JoeySD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:49 PM   #21
Rob13567

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss NGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94turbolsx View Post
Those aftermarket led bulbs are still not meant to be used as low beam headlights. Hid systems can bend in the curves as well, the projectors are mounted in swivel frames tied to yaw sensors and steering input. Like you said, the adaptive led systems from audi, bmw and merc are mega cost options. Leds produce alot of heat themselves and therefore while they might be less bulky out of the headlight via no ballast ignitor ect, on the inside of the headlight the cheaper Corolla type led projector is bulky and has large heatsink and they still need a led driver.

Its still new enough tech where the really good systems are not cost efficient.
I kinda figured like people using HIDs in halogen headlights. I was actually talking about bending the light beam around an object(pics below) i know about cornering lights, had them on my last car kinda miss it. so the newest generation corolla have LEDs did not know that.
Attached Images

Rob13567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:11 PM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeySD View Post
I love the 6GEN Camaro !! especially with those wicked cool LED trim lights around the Bi-Xenon headlights. However, there are so many 2016 vehicles out now with actual LED headlights. Why did Chevy stick with the HID Bi-Xenon projector beam headlights instead of installing an actual LED headlight module?? I would think that an all LED headlight would be cheaper and last much longer than the sorta dated HID Bi-Xenon headlights !!!

My neighbor just got a 2016 Ford Explorer and it now comes standard (all models) with LED headlights, and I have to say wow, what a nice clean bright white light it puts out !!

It's only a matter of time before LED lamps make their way into more car designs...especially for electric cars, since LED bulbs require less energy...but for now...Xenon projectors "fit the bill" for the Camaro's needs.

They're pretty expensive....
Old 02-04-2016, 11:10 PM   #23
94turbolsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob13567 View Post
I kinda figured like people using HIDs in halogen headlights. I was actually talking about bending the light beam around an object(pics below) i know about cornering lights, had them on my last car kinda miss it. so the newest generation corolla have LEDs did not know that.
Thanks to our wonderful DOT, that version of the adaptive led lamps from Audi, BMW ext. are banned in the US because of all things.....theres no high beam switch. The highs are automatic and work of front and rear cameras to contantly adjust light output. Its essentially high beam all the time due to the ability to turn on and off led chips so it never blinds and on coming car or car your following.... The bending and spliting your referring to.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:27 AM   #24
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeySD View Post
I love the 6GEN Camaro !! especially with those wicked cool LED trim lights around the Bi-Xenon headlights. However, there are so many 2016 vehicles out now with actual LED headlights. Why did Chevy stick with the HID Bi-Xenon projector beam headlights instead of installing an actual LED headlight module?? I would think that an all LED headlight would be cheaper and last much longer than the sorta dated HID Bi-Xenon headlights !!!

My neighbor just got a 2016 Ford Explorer and it now comes standard (all models) with LED headlights, and I have to say wow, what a nice clean bright white light it puts out !!
$$$$ is still a biggie on LED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
There are very few cars with LED headlights, the Escalade is one of the only American cars that has them, the new XT5 is going to have them as an option. HID lights are very good and have come a long way, they last a very long time and are a lot cheaper than LED headlights right now. LEDs need reflectors in the projectors since they do not produce a lot of power, like. HID bulb.
2016 Silverado LTZ and High Country come with LED headlights and tail lamps standard. GMC Sierra has them optional on All Terrain, and standard on SLT and Denali. Both Silverado and Sierra now have standard HID on all other trims as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #25
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
$$$$ is still a biggie on LED.

2016 Silverado LTZ and High Country come with LED headlights and tail lamps standard. GMC Sierra has them optional on All Terrain, and standard on SLT and Denali. Both Silverado and Sierra now have standard HID on all other trims as well.
I am actually surprised that HID lights are not standard on most GM vehicles, they are real cheap now a days. What gets me is even Cadillac's lower trims, halogens! Come on, HID should be standard on all Cadillacs and at the very least offered on all or most other GM products. When I had a Traverse LTZ, did not even offer HID lights, but the Acadia had them for like $500 option. I ended up doing my own HID kit for $100, worked awesome. Same with my SRX, you have to buy the premium trim, I have the Luxury trim, ended up doing a HID kit myself, just a PITA to get to the headlights.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #26
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Thanks to our wonderful DOT, that version of the adaptive led lamps from Audi, BMW ext. are banned in the US because of all things.....theres no high beam switch. The highs are automatic and work of front and rear cameras to contantly adjust light output. Its essentially high beam all the time due to the ability to turn on and off led chips so it never blinds and on coming car or car your following.... The bending and spliting your referring to.
I guess my question there is is could there still be a usable high beam switch with that system? How would you flash your high beams if need be if they're on all the time?
Old 02-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #27
94turbolsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I guess my question there is is could there still be a usable high beam switch with that system? How would you flash your high beams if need be if they're on all the time?
Now that Im not sure of. If youve never seen these lights in action kill a few minutes and check out a Audi or BMW from europe on youtube. A few posted vids from driver eye view and shows real good how they are constantly adjusting.

SSport16- its not just a GM thing. Halogens are standard on most Audi, BMW and Mercs as well.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:23 PM   #28
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Now that Im not sure of. If youve never seen these lights in action kill a few minutes and check out a Audi or BMW from europe on youtube. A few posted vids from driver eye view and shows real good how they are constantly adjusting.

SSport16- its not just a GM thing. Halogens are standard on most Audi, BMW and Mercs as well.
No I know, could be another area that Cadillac has a leg up on the competition...not even sure why there are so many cars still with halogens today.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote