Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-22-2015, 06:18 PM   #15
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post
Is there typically a long lag between the start of production and when cars show up on dealer lots?

I can't imagine GM would produce cars just to have them sit around for a while before they are sold.

I would guess that the start of production and the sale of the first 6th gen would be within a couple weeks of each other, at most, which is just to give time for transport.
They will also generally stock pile so that on "launch day" every dealer has a car or two to actually demo and sell. When you are building only a few hundred cars a day, that can take a while. Especially if you have a few thousand Chevy dealers that all want a car.

Imagine a huge marketing and advertising campaign and you show up to the dealer very excited to see and maybe even buy a cool new Camaro.......................and they don't have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I have followed several new car releases and it usually goes like this. Start of production they make a small run of from 200-300 or so cars that are gone over with a fine tooth comb to iron out any production issues. After they pass inspection then regular production starts slowly and then ramps up as inspections of quality show they are being done as expected.
From following the Saturn Sky production, I got one of the early ones that were held for inspection, Vin 251. It was approximately 3 months from the time they started production until I got mine in the first shipment the dealer received. I know some got their's earlier than I did so I would say 2 1/2 months would probably be a good estimate.
The first few hundred are generally CTF and that isn't regular production. That is for quality evaluation prior to. You are right on the ramp up. On an all new car they don't just throw the switch for full production. There a quality milestones that must be met as they ramp up. That can take some time.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:00 PM   #16
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
They will also generally stock pile so that on "launch day" every dealer has a car or two to actually demo and sell. When you are building only a few hundred cars a day, that can take a while. Especially if you have a few thousand Chevy dealers that all want a car.

Imagine a huge marketing and advertising campaign and you show up to the dealer very excited to see and maybe even buy a cool new Camaro.......................and they don't have one.

The first few hundred are generally CTF and that isn't regular production. That is for quality evaluation prior to. You are right on the ramp up. On an all new car they don't just throw the switch for full production. There a quality milestones that must be met as they ramp up. That can take some time.
My Sky was in the first regular production batch that were held for evaluation for quality purposes. I got that straight from an inside person that I had contacted (he was like the Fbodfather of the Kappa cars) through the Saturn Sky forum about getting a early car due to my first wife's Cancer. He worked with my dealer and even sent the car to the dealer on a rented trailer along with the dealer's demo car. They rushed it as quickly as they could. I got my car in early March of 2006, by June of 2006 I got her into the car for the last time for nice evening cruise in the mountians. After that my wife was no longer able to get into the car and in October she passed away.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:01 PM   #17
Thebeezwax

Drives: Has 4 wheels
my guess is that they'll retool about 3 months after the reveal... once retool is complete I would say they should hit the ground about 60 from that... so that puts us at November-ish
Thebeezwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #18
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
October production or on the lot?
Production.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:19 PM   #19
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeezWax View Post
my guess is that they'll retool about 3 months after the reveal... once retool is complete I would say they should hit the ground about 60 from that... so that puts us at November-ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Production.
so...that seems really late no?
how long until they make it to the lots after production 30 days, 60?
Old 04-22-2015, 07:37 PM   #20
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
My buddy ordered a 15 Mustang GT towards end of May I believe and got it early December. I really wanted to order the Camaro, but not sure I want to take delivery in November-January. May put it off a bit until the craze is over.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:55 PM   #21
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
Has GM made a statement concerning when production will start?When will they hit the street?
No...

Nothing Official...

...May 16th...

I'll be there....!

Becky
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:02 PM   #22
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
so...that seems really late no?
how long until they make it to the lots after production 30 days, 60?
If you really want, you could probably go back to the Camaro5 archives and see just when the first member got their 5th gen after production started on March 16, 2009. It'll probably be a front-page story from sometime between mid April and late May. That will give you a pretty good idea of how long it takes GM to get the first batch of Camaros from the plant to owners hands
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #23
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
One thing to keep in mind is that the 6th Gen will be built on a production line at GM's Lansing Grand River Assembly with CTS and ATS. Depending on space available they may have already completed much of the tooling at Lansing. The recent ATS debut might be a better predictor of release dates:

Cadillac debuted the ATS to the press in the United States in January 2012, placed the ATS into production in July 2012, and began selling the ATS in the United States in August 2012 as a 2013 model.

A May reveal doesn't mean they aren't already working on the production line. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I like our chances of seeing the 6th Gen on the dealer lots this fall.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:45 PM   #24
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I wonder if the weather is as bad in Michigan during the winter months as it is in Oshawa to hold back production or shipments on cars with summer performance tires like they have done with the 5th gen.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:46 PM   #25
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that the 6th Gen will be built on a production line at GM's Lansing Grand River Assembly with CTS and ATS. Depending on space available they may have already completed much of the tooling at Lansing. The recent ATS debut might be a better predictor of release dates:

Cadillac debuted the ATS to the press in the United States in January 2012, placed the ATS into production in July 2012, and began selling the ATS in the United States in August 2012 as a 2013 model.

A May reveal doesn't mean they aren't already working on the production line. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I like our chances of seeing the 6th Gen on the dealer lots this fall.
I concur.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:36 PM   #26
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I wonder if the weather is as bad in Michigan during the winter months as it is in Oshawa to hold back production or shipments on cars with summer performance tires like they have done with the 5th gen.
The only cars that production was affected because of very low temps were the ZL1 and the 1LE.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:00 PM   #27
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If you really want, you could probably go back to the Camaro5 archives and see just when the first member got their 5th gen after production started on March 16, 2009. It'll probably be a front-page story from sometime between mid April and late May. That will give you a pretty good idea of how long it takes GM to get the first batch of Camaros from the plant to owners hands
For reference I ordered mine on 5/9/2009 and received it on 7/31/2009. Just not sure when the 6gen will start taking orders.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:00 PM   #28
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
There is minimal difference in climate between Oshawa and Detroit. Detroit is about 250 miles south-west of Oshawa and is still within the great lakes region. Over the winter, the temperature is within a couple degrees and snowfall within a couple of inches.

Back to the tires ... if I remember correctly, it wasn't all cars with summer tires that were affected by the cold, because I don't remember hearing about GM restricting production to only V6 non RS cars (the only ones that came with all seasons). It was just the ZL1 & 1LE (probably Z/28 as well). And on top of that, I think it was only when it got extremely cold that they stopped things. Which makes it a few days or weeks of interruption instead of months.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote