BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
I agree that they should not integrate too much into complicated technology that is prone to crashes. I agree with that 100%. However, I do want to have the option of using that new technology and don't want manufacturers not to try because change comes with hurdles (such as software bugs). Yes, they'll screw a couple things up and introduce some SW bugs, yes they'll make usability design mistakes and find out that a redundant button or steering wheel control is necessary. But if manufacturers never made changes/improvements we'd all be stuck with crank start engines, am radios, cars with max speeds of 40mph etc...

The Camaro steering wheel is a good example, they made a new wheel that looked cool and had retro styling, but had poor usability. Many people complained so Chevy changed the wheel for 2012 and fixed the usability concern. Sure I'd be pissed if I was one of the complainers and was stuck with a 2010 Camaro, but you have to try doing new things, or else you'll never move forward in life.
I'm all for improvements, but when the new thing doesn't work as well as that which it replaces ... I'd hardly call that an 'improvement'
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #16
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I'm all for improvements, but when the new thing doesn't work as well as that which it replaces ... I'd hardly call that an 'improvement'
The iPhone is a terrible cell phone, but it does a lot more very well
Old 01-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #17
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Along with the disappearance of tactile feel controls in vehicles, I predict visually impaired drivers will file suit requiring Braille controls in all vehicles.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #18
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Along with the disappearance of tactile feel controls in vehicles, I predict visually impaired drivers will file suit requiring Braille controls in all vehicles.
visually impared drivers eh? Not quite sure if you'll ever see a person who is nearly blind driving a car. Sure you could say passengers would file suit, but then again all of these cars with the fancy touch screens have voice controls too, so being blind should not be a limitation as long as there is a voice control activation switch that the passenger can reach.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #19
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
eh, I hate the BMW iDrive! My wife just bought a 328i hardtop vert last weekend and 2 minutes fiddling with iDrive and I was frustrated and done. I hate it when you press "setting" and a gazillion more selections pop up.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #20
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
visually impared drivers eh? Not quite sure if you'll ever see a person who is nearly blind driving a car. Sure you could say passengers would file suit, but then again all of these cars with the fancy touch screens have voice controls too, so being blind should not be a limitation as long as there is a voice control activation switch that the passenger can reach.
Tongue in cheek, it's not hard to find other drivers who are almost blind.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #21
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Im guessing about 6 guys in this thread still own rotary phones
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #22
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Sun View Post
Im guessing about 6 guys in this thread still own rotary phones
It's actually a fact that those 6 people communicate via telegraph.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #23
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Yup, definitely agree that touch screens are a horrible idea for vehicles.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote