Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

View Poll Results: Should I keep the Golf R or trade it for a Chevy
Keep the Golf 28 28.28%
Get the Camaro 71 71.72%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2022, 08:38 PM   #15
22SS1LE

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE 6M
I voted Camaro but then again I cant stand VW cars
8/24. IT HAS ARRIVED at the dealer
8/25- It is in the Garage
ACS ZL1 Sideskirts, 20% tint, CAI Intake
22SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:13 PM   #16
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Take a camaro on a long test drive, on roads and traffic you’ll be commuting with. Many on here dd their camaro, I don’t know that i could especially with kids.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:34 PM   #17
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I fairly frequently race against Golf Rs during AutoX. They are nice little tight cars, but 1LE grip is next-level comparatively. They *should* be faster being smaller and lighter, but 1LE grip, balance and power come out on top IME at AutoX, let alone the bigger tracks where it does better. Of course, there's always the driver, but typically with several races people start getting faster and closer in times if not being held back.

I wish they did an estate version of the R in the US, I'd likely have one at least as my 2nd car, but unfortunately nope.

Keep in mind, any modern turbo car (torque at low RPM) especially an AWD turbo DCT, can usually get a better seat-in-the-pants at lower speeds. The SS will pull and keep going. It's the most fun around 4-6K RPMs IME. Below that, like from 1000, it will PULL out of amazing holes as far as the torque. Auto SS may be a little easier to manage for this, but rowing gears on the 1LE is special. It's a great transmission and match up. It's a different experience compared to something like the Golf R though.

It really depends on what you want of course. 4 door Golfs are more practical. The SS probably has more overall storage/interior room, but the back seats are useless as back seats due to the design and setting the front seats at reasonable distances. The golf is way more upright. The proper way to drive the Camaro is typically with the seat down and back. A corvette is even more like this. I say this because in literally every company vehicle I drive, every single driver tries to jack the seat up as far as it will go to get "over" the hood....no matter the vehicle. It's freaking annoying. You get used to the position in the Camaro, I don't hit cones when doing AutoX, but there are certain things you have to do when you own a car like this, like taking any entrance at an angle, not cutting corners (lots of people do this without realizing) in parking lots, being aware of islands, etc. It's not hard to adapt to this, once you are doing it...you keep doing it, but you have to give that a little bit of time, it's not going to happen in one drive. The additional blind spot stuff of the 2SS is helpful I think. Setting the mirrors is also critical. Most people set mirrors to see the rear of their car, which is incorrect. They make up for it by whiplashing their neck when merging trying to look out the window. That's fine in a car that has windows you can see out of in that direction. The Camaro doesn't really work like that, you have to set the mirrors up to see the blind spot, which is NOT the rear of the car. It's easy to do and there are several good guides to do this, but 98% of the population doesn't do this, too lazy. I say all this because I don't find it hard to drive, I find it a joy. It's nowhere near as brutal ergonomically as say a Countach or similar exotic. It's a blast. I like having a sunroof because it makes the car seem more open. Over about 6' though it's probably not going to work with a racing helmet.

Test drives are hard, to really evaluate a car, I'd need several weeks with one.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD

Last edited by JamesNoBrakes; 08-23-2022 at 09:48 PM.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:35 PM   #18
DorsoDuroJohn

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
I came from a 2016 WRX and more recently a 2018 WRX STI. After about 18 months with the Camaro (V8), i've probably thought about the STI twice when it snowed. The car was every bit as zippy and nimble as your VW. It was very fun on twisty roads. HOWEVER, the Camaro is just as fun on twisty roads AND actually does something when you punch the pedal on the highway! That is what's lacking in all the 4 banger turbo's.

They are totally different, but you will never look back.
DorsoDuroJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:37 PM   #19
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
What about moving up to a 22 Golf R? You still get the daily livability and more power to go along with it. Everything I've read and seen says it's brilliant mechanically with the the one draw back being the touch sensitive buttons for climate control/radio functions.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:39 PM   #20
tpat

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1
Having owned both a GTI and now a Camaro, if you actually need to access your backseat as well as have decent storage on a regular basis, keep the R. The Camaro is a fantastic car from a pure performance perspective, but as far as living with it on a day to day basis, you're absolutely making significant sacrifices in terms of practicality and ease of use. Especially if you need to get a kid in and out of the back seat, not only is the rear seat tiny, but you have to deal with the long doors of the coupe compared to the R's much shorter doors. If you just want a full on track car, go with the Camaro, otherwise, keep the R. Obviously, take one for a drive before before you make a decision, but take your kid with you to get an idea of what dealing with that will be like.

3400 5/25
3800 6/22
5000 6/28

Driven home 6/29
tpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:58 PM   #21
GW1776

Drives: 2SS 1LE / VW Golf R
Great feedback, this is really helpful thank you. I would not trade up to the 22/23 golf R. It has a new "drift" mode that could be fun but otherwise I can generate similar performance with easy mods on my 19. If I were not itching to get the Camaro, and just wanted a slight bump in power with similar features to the golf, I'd look at the new M240i with the B58 engine, or maybe an RS3. That thing is heavy though.
GW1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 10:16 PM   #22
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
my ss 1le is my daily driver, i often take my two grade school kids to school in it. It works fine. I've even taken the kids weekend camping with with it. But try it out for yourself first with your child, don't listen to people on here speculating on what you can or cannot do, much depends on driver height.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 11:01 PM   #23
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
What Hops said, just rent a Camaro and see how it resonates with you and if coupe style back seat access as well as trunk space are acceptable. The Camaro has surreal handling at high speeds, in fact the faster you go, the more tight it feels.

For what it's worth, my kids never complain about the back seats, they actually beg me to take them even when it means climbing in and out (and the oldest ones are already past 5' 5").

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 05:25 AM   #24
SKM348

Drives: Genesis
I ordered my 2023 2SS 6M a couple of weeks ago. I considered the Golf R/GTI but the torque & sound of the V8 just pulled me in. The visibility 'issues' are non-existent to me, and I actually liked the cockpit feel of the car. Our kids are grown, and we'll drive our other car when we haul our grandkids around.
SKM348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 05:40 AM   #25
xplct

Drives: 2022 camaro 2ss 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1gen6 View Post
Safety? Check the crash ratings and decide for yourself. Fun? Camaro is a blast to drive. V8 torque and hp galore. Glued to the road? Check, like it's on rails. 2SS 1LE feels like a boat? No. Learn about the Alpha chassis and 1LE package. Squirrely? See previous answer.

Your questions indicate you don't know much about 2SS 1LE, and already have bias. So keep your VW. It has a better backseat/rear storage, great for diaper bags, strollers, groceries, etc. Plus it won't terrify your significant other/baby with it's sound, g-force handling, and quickness to superior top speed.

Finally? Bird in the hand. It's entirely possible that you won't be able to find a 2SS 1LE before production ends.

I daily drive my 2ss 1LE, everywhere. Its fine for grocery's, back seat I only use to put my backpack, otherwise no leg room for anyone. I love the sound of the stock exhaust, finally they got it right, scaring people in track mode when it popcorns is awesome LOL. I just flipped 5500 miles on mine and the tires are starting to go bad (heavy foot) The summer only tire option only last 11k miles max from what I been reading. The car grips around corners like nothing I've ever been in, the nannies keep you in check.

I have never owned a VW nor would I (just not my cup of tea)

The car is very safe, my insurance is cheaper than my 2020 Tahoe I traded in for it. This is by far the best car I have ever owned. If your thinking about ordering one, order one, it will be almost December before you get a 1LE since the constraints on them are going till October, so you will have a ton of time to enjoy your golf until then.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:36 AM   #26
LT1gen6

Drives: '22 LT1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
For what it's worth, my kids never complain about the back seats, they actually beg me to take them even when it means climbing in and out (and the oldest ones are already past 5' 5").
Leg room for back seat is determined by driver height. I'm 6"3" and my front seat back rests against the rear seat cushion front resulting in zero inches rear leg room behind me. Ceiling height at the rear widow is pretty low, too, resulting in it being a pain for me to merely clean the rear window. Definitely and thankfully Camaro is not a family taxi platform, especially for taller people.
LT1gen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:44 AM   #27
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
110%, as an owner of two MQB cars and having owned to different 1LE's, if those are your concerns, keep the Golf. My ZL1 1LE is just a toy and I really don't take it all that seriously but, I love the absolute control and confidence that AWD platforms offer, regardless of most weather conditions. The fact that I can cut ~2 second 0-60's on the street, still turn over 1G on street tires, and not have to worry too much about rain, says a lot to me. Granted, neither car is stock but, still, that's pretty awesome.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:52 AM   #28
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
With kids if this is your only car I hate to say it the Camaro will be a pain. Now if you want to catch one of the last Camaros new and willing to deal with it that’s up to you.

If I were I your shoes I’d probably get the Camaro and pick up a older Malibu or something on the cheap for a daily and to cart the kids around.

Tags
golf vs camaro ss