Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #15
Oil Man

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2018 ZL1 A10 (RIPx2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
All the "1.5 quarts low is no big deal" comments are a bunch of fan boys. It's completely unacceptable and if this is what is accepted no wonder the techs get away with it.
It IS completely unacceptable. And you are justified in being upset. The job was done incorrectly.

But the people saying that you are not going to hurt your engine by driving it home a quart low are also NOT wrong. The LT1 is a engine designed to be run hard for extended periods of time on the track. And that's the reason it's a 10 quart engine.

The truck version of the Gen V small block, which shares most of its architecture with the LT1 runs on 8 quarts.

If you cruised home, you probably still had 5 more quarts than you absolutely needed in the engine.

So please, have a beer.
Oil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #16
TMasticTB91
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 1LT
Your service manager personally drove out to your house with extra oil and also agreed to pay for the Blackstone analysis. A lot of other dealerships wouldn't do that.

It sucks to hear that they messed up, I'd certainly wouldn't accept it. But, give them the benefit of the doubt, they are at least trying to make it right. I'd say you found a good dealership if you ever do need to take your car in for service. Just, maybe not oil changes
Old 03-06-2017, 09:05 PM   #17
brettman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Very enjoyable thread. I was in construction (mechanic) worked on $500,000.00 machines.
NEVER left a crankcase, or any oil level low. But then again, McD's is always hiring.
brettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:55 PM   #18
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
**it happens. The C should be ok. I guess they shave on the oil to make up for the 'free' oil change. As you said, Always check the level. Some places overfill as they do not drain all the old oil. that has happen to me a couple of times.

I now use an independent real mechanic shop or one and only one dealer (small town, techs worked there for years)where I can watch. Heck with free ( I know it is tempting) I also bring my own oil. Take them 10 qts and they get the idea.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:20 PM   #19
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
I did the first change on mine myself. No way I was going to risk a dealer doing an oil change. I don't trust them one bit unless it's some warranty work they have to do or a recall. Free oil change it's worth it to me. I can swing the $75 and know it's done right with the correct oil and the correct amount and properly torqued filter and drain plug. A lot can go wrong with all of that and they let the new flunkys do the "easy" jobs like oil change. Not to mention the life they could take out of my clutch. Nobody drives or works on my car but me if I can help it at all.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:27 AM   #20
gippy87

Drives: 2016 2ss
while its unacceptable your car is 100% fine. pull one of these motors apart you will see the oil pickup tube sits about half an inch from the bottom of the oil pan, so you would need to be several quarts low to do any type of damage under normal driving circumstances.
gippy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #21
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Guys, I work on A LOT of cars, engine damage isn't the main concern. It's the level of detail in the service provided. I wonder how many other cars they've sent out wrong and if they can't get an oil change right how in the world can they be trusted to do anything more major. I think God I can work on my own junk. I feel bad for the folks that are at the mercy of their local dealer if this is the norm.

This is me and a buddy working on my Challenger BTW just so you guys know I'm not full of poop.

No low oil level warning indicator was illuminated.

Yes, the service manager did come to my home personally, and kudos to him for that and offering to do whatever needed to satisfy my concern including covering the cost of the oil analysis. He just needs to run a tighter ship.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #22
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMasticTB91 View Post
Your service manager personally drove out to your house with extra oil and also agreed to pay for the Blackstone analysis. A lot of other dealerships wouldn't do that.

It sucks to hear that they messed up, I'd certainly wouldn't accept it. But, give them the benefit of the doubt, they are at least trying to make it right. I'd say you found a good dealership if you ever do need to take your car in for service. Just, maybe not oil changes

Very well said...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #23
SSSHYBOY

Drives: 2SS convertible, black,black
One great service manager.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #24
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Quote:
I asked them to cross check my work on the rear differential oil cooler line recall and to mark that as completed for my car in their system at the same time. I saw a different tech come over and check, scribble some notes in the paper work, and done.
Please elaborate on this part. "Cross check MY work on the recall"? That is not how recalls work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #25
gw6211

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 View Post
at 1.5 qt low shouldn't there be a "Low Oil" warning? If they can do it for fuel why couldn't they do it for Oil?
they do, and it wasnt even low enough to trigger this safety feature.
gw6211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #26
gw6211

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Guys, I work on A LOT of cars, engine damage isn't the main concern. It's the level of detail in the service provided. I wonder how many other cars they've sent out wrong and if they can't get an oil change right how in the world can they be trusted to do anything more major. I think God I can work on my own junk. I feel bad for the folks that are at the mercy of their local dealer if this is the norm.

This is me and a buddy working on my Challenger BTW just so you guys know I'm not full of poop.

No low oil level warning indicator was illuminated.

Yes, the service manager did come to my home personally, and kudos to him for that and offering to do whatever needed to satisfy my concern including covering the cost of the oil analysis. He just needs to run a tighter ship.
its your concern, you said he was gonna pay for a oil sample test. All we are saying is, nothing happened to that engine. If you work on engines yourself, you should know too. If you do, then why would you send an engine sample?

Do what you want, its yours, but we are just saying, nothing happened on this issue, you brought it here, we gave our knowledge and opinions.
gw6211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #27
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
Please elaborate on this part. "Cross check MY work on the recall"? That is not how recalls work.
I did the recall myself based on the documents provided in another thread.

I just had the dealer check, and document, that this work had been performed on this vehicle.

Oh, btw, they did tell me of 30 cars that had come through they had not had to replace the lines on a SINGLE car. That all of them had been fine with just cutting off the offending body stud. None they had inspected had made any sort of contact, which is how mine was, I had 1/2" of clearance but cut the stud anyway. He said they only replace the lines IF contact had been made.

Now based on my oil change debacle take that with a grain of salt, but it did make me go hmmmmmm based on all the other folks that are getting lines replaced left and right and having all kinds of issues afterwards on this forum.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:20 AM   #28
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw6211 View Post
its your concern, you said he was gonna pay for a oil sample test. All we are saying is, nothing happened to that engine. If you work on engines yourself, you should know too. If you do, then why would you send an engine sample?

Do what you want, its yours, but we are just saying, nothing happened on this issue, you brought it here, we gave our knowledge and opinions.
Dude seriously!? Yes I work on cars and running them without the proper amount of oil in the sump IS NOT A GOOD THING. You guys are really a trip on this forum.

Several other factors make it not the main concern, like no low oil light, only driving 15 miles, etc. However with GM so quick to pull shenanigans with folks when they have issues with their engines, I wanted it fully documented and understood, and an oil analysis is part of that data. So while not the main concern, certainly A concern for the long term.

So now if I run this oil analysis in a couple thousand miles and it's full of copper and lead you guys are gonna say it's normal LOL?