Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-03-2015, 04:03 PM   #15
amerhash28

Drives: camaros in his dreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 View Post
I'm sure there is a ton of info and products for the initial care, detailing, and protection of a new car.

Does anyone have any links / guides / suggestions?

What has worked for you?

My wife's car was aging and it was time for a replacement. We bought her a brand new black Subaru Crosstrek with tan leather interior.

So, I not only have a camaro a few months out but, also my wife's car to seal and protect.

I found a brand named Wolfgang and was considering purchasing some of their products.

In the past I generaly just washed and waxed like once per year with whatever generic stuff was on sale in the car care isle. Sometimes I'd be lazy enough to just pay to have my car detailed. My wife's last car was black and it definitely lost its luster over the years.

I'd like to give our new cars a solid start and try to keep them looking good longer.
In my case, wash it,wax it,polish it and kick who puts his hand on the car's A$$.LOL.you guys are lucky to have such a great clean weather,where I live(hell on earth a.k.a middle East)we have sand storms several times a year and when the skies are clear you'll see dirt on the car in like 20 minutes after the washits soooo frustrating......microfiber the car every 2 hours just to get the dirt off.
amerhash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:43 PM   #16
DannyB

Drives: Impala
As soon as I get my car I am going to drive the 1.5 hours to Nashville and have this done:

DannyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:09 AM   #17
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
Ditch ArmorAll, use 303 Protectants. Originally made for aerospace and aviation industry.
I agree. Unlike ArmorAll, 303 nourishes the rubber.

As for the op's new vehicle delivery detailing, I personally do the following:
Strip it down and clay bar to remove any transport contaminants, followed by a good wax. Wash weekly, detail spray after dirty trips between washes and repeat strip/clay/wax every 2 or 3 months. And don't park under pollinating or sapping trees. Your car will stay looking new for years. Others are far more neurotic than this and I'm jealous they have that much time to dedicate.

Even on the Corvettes (all paint covered, not just brush points) I would do this because GM doesn't clay the surface before they wrap it for transport.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:31 AM   #18
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/acxkaf44c...VlC5djtQa?dl=0

Saving me a little bit of money vs what I was looking at. Likely saving me a lot of excess time and work! I really didn't want to buy a random orbital polisher but, it makes sense that if I want to achieve the best results with the least amount of work I should probably get one.
You don't need a random orbital polisher for upkeep on a new car*. They are immensely useful for getting older cars paint back in shape.

*If your car comes from the factory with a lot of orange peel, well then a RO will make your life easier. Polishing that stuff out by hand is a bitch.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:12 AM   #19
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime555 View Post
Here are two decently long videos that have mostly everything you'll need, at least to get started with a new car while avoiding putting swirls on it. This guy seriously knows what he's talking about.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7bG7oVjg77o

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CGf3_4BtB-w
Lot of good info from many of you.

One thing I heard that I think may prove important is the "out-gassing" of solvents from the paint. Sounds to me like this should be something all of us who have factory ordered need to keep in mind. Paint that is only a month old may not be ready to be fully sealed. This guy is suggesting that sealing relatively new paint can have adverse effects.

I'm estimating that I'll be getting my car in the middle of January. Luckily I live in an area that doesn't use salt and we typically get very little snow. I'm thinking that I will wait 3 months until spring to do the full clay bar, seal, wax.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #20
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Lot of good info from many of you.

One thing I heard that I think may prove important is the "out-gassing" of solvents from the paint. Sounds to me like this should be something all of us who have factory ordered need to keep in mind. Paint that is only a month old may not be ready to be fully sealed. This guy is suggesting that sealing relatively new paint can have adverse effects.

I'm estimating that I'll be getting my car in the middle of January. Luckily I live in an area that doesn't use salt and we typically get very little snow. I'm thinking that I will wait 3 months until spring to do the full clay bar, seal, wax.
Yeah I brought that up in another thread. I factory ordered my '12 5.0, and as soon as I got it, I brought it to my 'detail guy' and he told me to wait at least 6 weeks from when the car was painted before sealing it.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:47 PM   #21
DannyB

Drives: Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
Yeah I brought that up in another thread. I factory ordered my '12 5.0, and as soon as I got it, I brought it to my 'detail guy' and he told me to wait at least 6 weeks from when the car was painted before sealing it.
Looks like i will wait awhile before having CQuartz Finest applied.
DannyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:59 AM   #22
cartem2

Drives: Nightfall Gray 2LT RS
A question I have is should you get the CQ caoting before or after you get vinyl stripes put on?