Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #15
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanicus View Post
Service records really don't matter. Just keep your receipts for the oil/filter you buy. If you think they will deny coverage because you didn't get oil change from them, the Magnusson Moss Act prohibits this.
A good friend of mine is a dealer rep for Nissan. It happens all the time. Changed at dealer, no issue. Changed at Walmart or your driveway, you'll get push back even with receipts so don't expect a walk in the park. No receipt, prepare to write a big check. They don't know whether you're competent enough to change your own oil.

Luckily, I have a competent dealer service dept that lets me provide my own oil and filter and will change it for $20. I'm no longer rolling around on the ground to save $20. I've received enough satisfaction doing that changing my own oil for over 30 years.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:25 AM   #16
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
i was a rep for bmw, honda and kawasaki in my carreer. I approved warranty for all of them. it depends on if the dealer/rep wants to be an asshole. the only time i would question it is if the oil was jelly, or massivelylow or high. mfrs dont have the cash to do a blackstone test so they let it go. if you are wortied about a dealer not accepting your change, ask them!

and forget mag moss, itll cost you more to prove it, than its worth.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #17
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Local dealer charges flat $50 w filter included... 10 qts of synthetic + filter costs me more than $50 !! Guess who wont be changing his own oil.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #18
wrankin
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
no....see fred at reverselogic.....

http://www.reverselogic.us/stahlbus.html
Thanks

Bill
2013 2SS / RS - AGM / Jet Black (sold)
1970 1/2 Z/28 Classic Copper / Tan (sold many years ago)
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #19
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
Yes , of course. All real car guys work on their car no true enthusiast would drop off their beautiful Camaro at the dealer for a simple oil change. Go to any forum for any make or model vehicle and read the horror stories about those oil change guys. Dealers or quickie lube‘s whatever it’s always a nightmare. I don’t care if they’re free oil changes for life I wouldn’t use one.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #20
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I get free oil changes for life at work. I could do it no problem, but the effort and cleanup is not worth my time. Plus I don't have problems with any of my techs doing a oil change.
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #21
brap999

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I'm hesitant to let anyone work on my car but me, unless its something major where I need the dealership to step in for warranty work.

Not long ago there was a thread on here where some guy got his SS all screwed up at the dealer because it wasn't lifted correctly. I have friends that are certified techs at Ford, others that have worked past jobs at repair shops, transmissions shops, and lube shops and I've heard horror stories about how some cars were serviced by inexperienced techs and/or experienced techs that just didn't care.

IMO it's just not worth it. Plus an oil change takes less than 30 minutes on a weekend. I'd rather have the piece of mind knowing that my car wasn't unknowingly f'd up.
1998 Dodge Viper GTS
1972 Pontiac GTO
1963 Chevy C10 short bed, T5, 350, lowered
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #22
I`m Batman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6
Why would I have to get up, get dressed, drive to the dealer, wait in their waiting room for 30 mins or more depending on their schedule then drive back home? That's about 1hr+ of your time and hope that they didn't mess up your car, underfill or overfill, etc.

Instead, I get up on a Sunday morning, jack up the car or ramp (after the oil is warm of course), plug a hose to the valve and open (I use Fumoto valve), remove filter, go mow the lawn for 20-30 mins or eat breakfast, come back, close valve put in new filter and oil... done.

It takes about 20 mins+ for all 10 qts to drain out after the car has been running. You can bet that the dealer will not let it sit there and drain for that long.
I`m Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #23
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
NO ONE, will take better care of your car than yourself. I do my own, car has had warranty work done with no static from the service managers. All of my service records are self entered on chevy.com.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #24
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by I`m Batman View Post
Why would I have to get up, get dressed, drive to the dealer, wait in their waiting room for 30 mins or more depending on their schedule then drive back home? That's about 1hr+ of your time and hope that they didn't mess up your car, underfill or overfill, etc.

Instead, I get up on a Sunday morning, jack up the car or ramp (after the oil is warm of course), plug a hose to the valve and open (I use Fumoto valve), remove filter, go mow the lawn for 20-30 mins or eat breakfast, come back, close valve put in new filter and oil... done.

It takes about 20 mins+ for all 10 qts to drain out after the car has been running. You can bet that the dealer will not let it sit there and drain for that long.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:55 PM   #25
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
yup...easy
pittsburg jack and jackstands from harbour freight
Glen is always a wealth of information!
Where do you support with the jackstands?
I have been jacking and buttressing the jack's lift arm while working under the car.
Even my low angle ramps do not clear the splitter on this car, so jack it is.
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #26
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
I do my own, have been for over 40 years. It's so easy if you have the proper tools. I have standard 2.5 ton jacks- I jack the car up by the jacking points- you have to be careful you position the jack on them and not the body- I can see why some screw it up and cause body damage. I jack it up high enough to slide my ramps under the tires, then let it sit on the ramps. I don't drive on them- it's a real PIA and the car is too low.

Then it's a matter on loosening the drain plug, draining the oil, removing and changing out the filter. I have done so many oil changes I can practically do it in my sleep. On some cars where the oil filter is vertically positioned underneath or on top and easy to access I can do an oil change in 15-20 minutes. I buy the oil and filter kit- whatever is on sale on sale- full synthetic at Advanced Auto Parts. It's only five quarts so for the 6th quart I'll get it at Wal-Mart. (Advance charges too much for individual quarts). Total cost is under $40.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #27
HackSaw

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Reasons i change my own oil. Its therapy for me, Doing anything to this car is quality time. I dont like anyone driving my cars esp this one. Like mentioned, For sure they cant wait to put the drain plug back in. I like to pre fill the oil filter. Dont want to have to inspect the car for damage and then be pissed if i find any
HackSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #28
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
I have a local car shop that changes it for $35.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote