Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-08-2022, 06:27 AM   #15
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Here's another centrifugal supercharger dyno sheet for ya, arpad_m. This member of the forum said that he had e85 plus methanol injection with an ECS/Paxton 1500 kit on a stock motor.

Name:  DorkMissile-ecskit.jpeg
Views: 665
Size:  106.2 KB
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 07:29 AM   #16
cjperformance

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary
I put a procharger on a year ago. Never had a PD though... Ive got more low end torque on the street than my tires can handle. Power ramps smoothly with rpm, not like a turbo. PDs will make more boost down low, but PC shines at extremely high RPM. For a street driven vehicle i would prob go with a PD. I only went with Procharger because all the PDs were backordered for many months.

With that said... launching as hard as i could at the track i could only manage a 1.85 60 ft time. Which is one reason i put in a 3k stall converter. Havent been able to bet back to retest yet. Im sure a PD does much better without a stall conv.

Anyway.... for the street, the PC makes plenty of power. Mine is very quiet with the helical gearset. Actually sounds pretty good. Its got a turbo-like whine to it. Ive heard the straightcut gears sound like a box of rocks though. Ive got my tune set up to shift close to 7k to take better advantage of the centri characteristics hign rpm. Not sure if this is typical of PD setups. Could prob get good power w/o having to wrap it out so far.
CircleD 3K Stall | QA1 CF Driveshaft
Forgestar F14 Drag 17x10 NT555R2 305/45/17 Rear
Forgestar F14 18x8 NT555G2 235/50/18 Front
10.84@131 w/4.13" pulley
??.??@??? w/3.7" pulley (installed & tuning)
cjperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 07:43 AM   #17
WillyZ83

Drives: 18 zl1 garnet red
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperformance View Post
I put a procharger on a year ago. Never had a PD though... Ive got more low end torque on the street than my tires can handle. Power ramps smoothly with rpm, not like a turbo. PDs will make more boost down low, but PC shines at extremely high RPM. For a street driven vehicle i would prob go with a PD. I only went with Procharger because all the PDs were backordered for many months.

With that said... launching as hard as i could at the track i could only manage a 1.85 60 ft time. Which is one reason i put in a 3k stall converter. Havent been able to bet back to retest yet. Im sure a PD does much better without a stall conv.

Anyway.... for the street, the PC makes plenty of power. Mine is very quiet with the helical gearset. Actually sounds pretty good. Its got a turbo-like whine to it. Ive heard the straightcut gears sound like a box of rocks though. Ive got my tune set up to shift close to 7k to take better advantage of the centri characteristics hign rpm. Not sure if this is typical of PD setups. Could prob get good power w/o having to wrap it out so far.
Thanks for that info, I've seen the same with back ordered SCs as well. So you ran a 11.5 with a PC right? That 305/30 doesn't hook well, I am trying out 305/35 and grip seems better, will find out when I hit the track end of this month.
WillyZ83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:45 AM   #18
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I have driven/ridden in and tuned both setups(PD/Centri) on a 6th gen. Both work well when setup and tuned correctly. I prefer PD on this platform because it's a cleaner install, more OEM looking, and imo offers better driveability. Both will spin street tires easily...if you don't run at least a Nitto 555r2 then it's almost a waste to even install a supercharger. Hell Na mild bolt-on E85 car will destroy street tires.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 10:08 AM   #19
4thCamaro

Drives: Chevy Camaro 18’ SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyZ83 View Post
What do you guys prefer? Super charger or pro charger? It’s a daily driver and currently has lt2 intake (would have to be replaced w SC) , rotofab cold air, headers and flex fuel tuned for e85. I like how it can be a daily drive and drive close to a stock car when I’m not getting on it.
I’ve popped the hood on a pro charged camaro and it would super loud so kind of leaning towards super charger but not 100% convinced. It’s duty is I do drive it daily and yes I do tend to mash the pedal daily as well and like how it currently drives. That’s partially why I’m leaning towards this instead of heads / cam route.
Currently around 480hp, looking to get closer to 600hp
I would say HCI on the auto and you'd be good as a daily.
Second route would be a PCSC
Last option would be SC, instead of SC on SS I'd get a ZL1. But there is a 2650 for sale RN for like 1K less than it'd cost you initially.
Old 04-08-2022, 02:09 PM   #20
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
Here's another centrifugal supercharger dyno sheet for ya, arpad_m. This member of the forum said that he had e85 plus methanol injection with an ECS/Paxton 1500 kit on a stock motor.
Thanks for these posts. I'm always happy to be educated by masters like yourself or King or Josh or Matt, so please allow me one more question (since, again, I never drove a Camaro with a centrifugal SC).

If you look at these dyno graphs, one can observe very significant torque increases between ~3k and ~6k rpm. Even though it's not a "step function" but smooth growth, the tires sure have a limit, right? We can't just keep increasing torque as rpms climb and expect the tires to just keep sticking. Now, if the limit is whatever torque we see at, say, 5k rpm, it means the rear will suddenly break out at around 5k, in every gear, right?

Not saying this cannot be managed, of course, all I'm saying this is not my preference and it doesn't happen with a PD. It's harder to get it to hook, but once it has, torque increase is typically negligible and you can count on traction throughout the rev range.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 04-08-2022 at 02:22 PM.
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:20 PM   #21
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
anybody with a fi car still messing around on street tires gets what they deserve.

if power is your goal, you can't go wrong with pd or centri. crutching and catering to a stock short block is what sucks with fi. the average person is in for a bad time.

guys like king make it look easy with years (20+? i think i remember you from the old tech days) of car and tuning things. the guys with $10k in their already rebuilt short block and fuel system are in the same boat in that regard.

normal guys that want to floor it with a blower car are going to end up on 6 lb with 12* running door to door with bolt on cars and still be one cold day away from ringland departure.
Old 04-08-2022, 06:58 PM   #22
MSU120

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
For what it’s worth: I’ve had both and I find the procharger to be more fun. Both have their advantages and opinions will vary on preference. At the end of the day…both are a blast.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT—605rwhp, SOLD
MSU120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 07:11 PM   #23
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
I ain't no guru, never have had a PD car, but my last Camaro (2010 RS, direct injection, VVT, high compression V6) rode and drove great with a Procharger- and made an additional 130hp to the rear wheels while still being able to negotiate 6-8" of snow on "summer only- do not operate in snow" Michelin SS's with a 6 speed stick and 3.73 rear gears (3.45 stock).

Loved that car! Should've kept it, but Chevy had to make this damn Alpha chassis car so much better that it made the old Holden Commodore (Australia) chasis look and feel as antiquated as it is.

Anyway, +1 for a procharger car, you can live with, love it, and it won't blow up the first time you take it out of town, IMHO of course!
BTW- with helical cut gears a procharger is essentially silent and the greater surface area actually makes them stronger than straight cut. More teeth = longer life, stronger and more load carrying capabilities.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:04 AM   #24
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperformance View Post

Comment on your 1.85 short time, a 200TW street tire is not good enough to know what your blower can actually do on the dragstrip. ALL types of blowers on this car really need a soft-compound tire like a drag radial to do their best on the dragstrip.

As far as base blower kits on drag radials, yes, agree that the PD style should get a quicker short time on the stock torque converter than a centrifugal. BUT the real difference there is nowhere near what some guys say. My own A8 SS with base Paxton kit, no methanol injection, on stock torque converter, went 1.63 short time in summer heat. Recall that one of the members with a PD that was just above the base config ran like 1.57 on slicks in cooler temps. So it seems that the real difference between them is less than a tenth, not the 3 tenths that guys on this forum have said. Note how I'm focusing on base kit (or close in this PD car's case), as adding more power to either one should give quicker 60, if traction allows.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 12:20 PM   #25
WillyZ83

To update this thread, I found a LT4 blower with everything pulled from a ZL1, all bolts, lt4 injectors, HPFP, pulley, water pump, valley plate, spacers and everything needed for a hell of a price that I couldn't pass up. It has an 12lb pulley but I'll be going back to stock 8lb pulley Looking at getting an LS3 crank seal, for fuel I'm going to find the right tuner to discuss my goal with but from what I've gathered, I should be ok running e50-60. SBE

I'm running TSP headers currently and now looking at replacing the stock npp muffler setup for better flow to keep temps down and afm delete for the y pipe. At least that's my novice level thinking. Found AWE axleback wNPP that looks reasonable

Wanting to run it on the conservative side of things instead of going for most power possible. I've seen people run JMS boosters for fuel, should I consider this as well? Thanks for the input so far. Kinglt1 answered a good amount of my questions and gave lots of good insight so far too so thanks to him.

I'm taking my time to install it and planning the move accordingly.

2022 zl1 740hp / 730tq stolen
2018 zl1 Maggie - 2" headers - flex fuel - lowside fuel ssytem - +30 injectors - cordes ice tank - spl rear linkage arms
Old 04-25-2022, 02:28 PM   #26
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyZ83 View Post
To update this thread, I found a LT4 blower with everything pulled from a ZL1, all bolts, lt4 injectors, HPFP, pulley, water pump, valley plate, spacers and everything needed for a hell of a price that I couldn't pass up. It has an 12lb pulley but I'll be going back to stock 8lb pulley Looking at getting an LS3 crank seal, for fuel I'm going to find the right tuner to discuss my goal with but from what I've gathered, I should be ok running e50-60. SBE

I'm running TSP headers currently and now looking at replacing the stock npp muffler setup for better flow to keep temps down and afm delete for the y pipe. At least that's my novice level thinking. Found AWE axleback wNPP that looks reasonable

Wanting to run it on the conservative side of things instead of going for most power possible. I've seen people run JMS boosters for fuel, should I consider this as well? Thanks for the input so far. Kinglt1 answered a good amount of my questions and gave lots of good insight so far too so thanks to him.

I'm taking my time to install it and planning the move accordingly.
The JMS voltage pump booster is recommended on any forced induction LT1. I see you live in Texas, not sure how you use your SS, just keep in mind that the LT4 blowers tend to heat soak in the summer heat. They will see high IATs and pull timing on back to back pulls or laps. Otherwise, should be a ton of fun and has a clean oem look under the hood.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:50 PM   #27
WillyZ83

If I run a JMS booster, that will allow me to keep the same SS fuel pump in the tank correct? Yeah I'm going to have a sleeper looking SS that packs a bite to a unsuspecting victim lol I'm excited to get the build moving forward

It's a daily driver for me and yes it gets hot in Houston for sure, it takes me to work and I do a couple digs, rolls a week. Not much else just having some fun when time presents itself, I'm near an area where people always have their weekend cars out too

2022 zl1 740hp / 730tq stolen
2018 zl1 Maggie - 2" headers - flex fuel - lowside fuel ssytem - +30 injectors - cordes ice tank - spl rear linkage arms
Old 04-25-2022, 06:36 PM   #28
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
no sir you need a lt4 tank pump and jms. or tap tank for aux setup.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote