Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
This is VERY disturbing... I was promised a new "top stack" in May that would include the mechanism as well as the fabric. My parts were ordered last week and are on back order. This is supposed "fix" the pinch problems caused by the original rails. I'm gonna be severely pissed if they only replace the canvas...for the 4th time....
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #16
themoneypit

Drives: 2012 45th convertible ss ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
This is VERY disturbing... I was promised a new "top stack" in May that would include the mechanism as well as the fabric. My parts were ordered last week and are on back order. This is supposed "fix" the pinch problems caused by the original rails. I'm gonna be severely pissed if they only replace the canvas...for the 4th time....
i agree, im bummed too... unless, the new 2nd bow, and brackets that go along with the new canvas will take care of the mechanism?? thats what im hoping for. i love my vert, and really dont want to have it bought back, but if they dont get it right this time, i have no choice but to say bye bye to it. i wouldnt even want a replacement vert!! another thing that burns me up, is the water management bag that they wont replace (but came with the 2nd design assembly). even if they get the top right, and i end up with a water leak which would mean removing the top again, im DONE!

Last edited by themoneypit; 07-14-2012 at 12:08 AM.
themoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #17
J Wilkins

Drives: a camaro
I guess I have been lucky, had mine replaced in October (3/30/11 production 2SS/RS) they only had it 3 days, did have a small rear seal issue and an clip came loose, but it only took 4 hrs the second time, (they did bring a guy over from BMW to do it) I do have 1 small wave that wasn't there, but other than that so far so good! Good luck everyone!
J Wilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:54 AM   #18
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
The "newest" design has the rails with it. According to my District Manager they no longer show the mechanism as being serviceable, so you would only be able to order parts for it (but I do take his word with a grain of salt). This top supposedly needs the rails that are sent with it for a retrofit.

I am bringing mine in on Tuesday to have that version installed.

Anxiety and trepidation will ensue........
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:13 AM   #19
cactuseater

Drives: .
Bulllett -- in other words, the new part number, 22972088, comes as not only just a canvas top...but the new rails are in place on the canvas as well out of the box? If so, this is very enlightening, since most installers need to man handle and force the tops into the rails to get it on the car. That's how my top #2 got destroyed, the rails are too small for the thicker top to slide through. A lot of the mechanisms are being torqued and bent from this kind of install.

This would be a great improvement if it is happening. My new top is sitting at the dealership, I need to get my eyes on it to make sure it's the new part # AND that the rails are on the box installed. That would be very cool !!
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #20
SSTOKED

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuseater View Post
Bulllett -- in other words, the new part number, 22972088, comes as not only just a canvas top...but the new rails are in place on the canvas as well out of the box? If so, this is very enlightening, since most installers need to man handle and force the tops into the rails to get it on the car. That's how my top #2 got destroyed, the rails are too small for the thicker top to slide through. A lot of the mechanisms are being torqued and bent from this kind of install.

This would be a great improvement if it is happening. My new top is sitting at the dealership, I need to get my eyes on it to make sure it's the new part # AND that the rails are on the box installed. That would be very cool !!
Barry, be sure to take pics and share if they let you in the shop during the repair. One tip for you...when they stick the extension with socket down in the car to unbolt the mechanism it is easy for them to scratch paint off of the upper interior sides of body panels. Have them touch those areas up.
Complete rebirth 8/27/2012 (new 6/27/2012 revision top installed, new carpet, new tonneau cover and new third brake light)

MODS:
Solo Performance Exhaust: Axle Back with J-Pipes
SSTOKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #21
themoneypit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulllett View Post
The "newest" design has the rails with it. According to my District Manager they no longer show the mechanism as being serviceable, so you would only be able to order parts for it (but I do take his word with a grain of salt). This top supposedly needs the rails that are sent with it for a retrofit.

I am bringing mine in on Tuesday to have that version installed.

Anxiety and trepidation will ensue........
when you bring it in, ask to see the new top, and take a few pics if possible. from what im told it only comes with a new 2nd bow and some brackets, the rest of the mechanism is to be used from the car. so im doubtful it is a complete assembly like they are saying. my service guy read that to me right from his computer. would love to see some pics of it installed when u get it back. keeping fingers crossed for u!! and thanks for the update.

oh yeah are they having a regional "expert" do the install? or are they attempting it themselves?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #22
themoneypit

Quote:

so true!! and yes get ur eyes on the new top (and camera) and be sure and post back please!!
Old 07-15-2012, 03:14 AM   #23
cactuseater

Absolutely guys. A small delay, I guess the director of service was not in Thursdays through Saturday and nobody knew where the top was going to be installed at. When I do get the call this week I will be sure to get some picks of the top out of the box for all to see. There's a few scratched on the back of the car and also on the interior body panels that will be taken car of as well. When it's all done and leak checked, then the new carpet is installed and the seat are put back in. Hoping for the best.....pic to follow.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #24
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
By my conversations, all of the above is true (again have yet to see it myself). Its not a new mechanism as much as parts that match the new top and are retrofit onto the old mechanism.

Stoked; my car originally came with those scratch marks, lol.

And, of course guys, I'm going to try to take some pics when I get there. Unfortunately, because of the information that I got here being needed to make my case, they are leary of giving me anymore info.

We'll see how that plays out.
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #25
themoneypit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulllett View Post
By my conversations, all of the above is true (again have yet to see it myself). Its not a new mechanism as much as parts that match the new top and are retrofit onto the old mechanism.

Stoked; my car originally came with those scratch marks, lol.

And, of course guys, I'm going to try to take some pics when I get there. Unfortunately, because of the information that I got here being needed to make my case, they are leary of giving me anymore info.

We'll see how that plays out.
its your car (for now LOL) so they have to tell you what they are doing, how, etc. just keep prodding until they tell you/show you. i would demand it frankly! as far as im concerned, your entitled to know exactly how they are fixing your car, and my dealer has been great with explaining what they know to me about my car. it shouldnt matter if you have the BBB involved (actually that should help) just sayin
Old 07-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #26
cactuseater

Interesting! I am hoping the new top has the hardware needed to make this thing right. I'll be taking pictures and posting them as soon as I get down there to see them in person before they are installed.

We need to get pictures of this part number up here so everyone can see exactly what they are throwing our way as a "fix".

According to the dealer all my stuff is in and ready to go, just waiting for the Director or Service to return from an unknown hiatus...seems only he knows where they are outsourcing my top to - and nobody can get hold of him. Only the GM knows where he is, yet I have heard nothing yet as of today. I'll keep you all posted in my "convertible from hell" thread as this week hits with Monday, July 16th.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #27
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
Please let me know how everything goes and if your dealership was able to address the ongoing issue you have been experiencing.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 07-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #28
themoneypit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Please let me know how everything goes and if your dealership was able to address the ongoing issue you have been experiencing.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
brandon,
do you have any info regarding the newest tops out, and what comes with them, are they assembled already, and how they are retro-fitted to our problem cars? it would be GREATLY appreciated if you do. if not, i guess we will just continue to figure things out ourselves on here as we have been doing since 2011 when the problem cars started rolling off the line.

Tags
tag