Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-02-2020, 11:22 AM   #15
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Also, a higher torgue pad can be counter productive for both the driver (modulation) and the car (component longevity). By all means run what ya like (and what makes you fast), but there are definite pros and cons here.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #16
Blast2hell

Drives: 2020 ZLE Rally Green A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Also, a higher torgue pad can be counter productive for both the driver (modulation) and the car (component longevity). By all means run what ya like (and what makes you fast), but there are definite pros and cons here.
True, although changes can be beneficial (arguably also harmful) in a cumulative manner. A CAI on it's own won't get you to the tens at a dragstrip, and there are much better mods for that goal, but it is a cumulative change that can add toward your goal.
Sebring Best Lap Time 2:29 Video
Roebling Road Best Lap Time 1:25 Video
Blast2hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:15 PM   #17
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast2hell View Post
True, although changes can be beneficial (arguably also harmful) in a cumulative manner. A CAI on it's own won't get you to the tens at a dragstrip, and there are much better mods for that goal, but it is a cumulative change that can add toward your goal.
Agree completely. I know what a high torque "race pad" is and how it changes ability to modulate brakes deep into a corner. Apparently i am not alone, as many pros run low torque pads just to ensure there is no harmful side effect on corner entry and to facilitate easier management of balance which is key on entry. Yet many novice amateurs automatically equate "race" with faster lap times and effectively bite themselves in the process.

Anyhow, as i said: whatever makes us fast
Old 11-02-2020, 04:19 PM   #18
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra

Quote:
Seriously, if somebody here will have enough balls to claim a faster pace due to dropping rotor weight by a few pounds i will personally call Toto and suggest we got a replacement for Hamilton
Cheers!
Old 11-02-2020, 04:24 PM   #19
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
Old 11-02-2020, 05:19 PM   #20
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Seriously, if somebody here will have enough balls to claim a faster pace due to dropping rotor weight by a few pounds i will personally call Toto and suggest we got a replacement for Hamilton

But seriously: OP, so you wheel the car pretty nicely!
And you stay ahead of a ZLE on slicks with full aero, eh?
Yep aero will help in high speed sweepers, but ideally this would call for stiffer suspension a la DSSV to account for more down force (that's exactly what Ricky Bobby did on his race car and he is one smart cookie!).

The easiest and the most reliable mod to go faster would be a faster tire. Period.

The second suggestion, is to spend a few bucks on a nice iRacing rig for winter months. I will *guarantee* you your pace will improve, if you end up sim driving competitively there. That's no BS. Countless pros do it from all over the world and from different pro series.

Cheers!
I'm interested in an iracing rig. Will you send a link to a good one?
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:15 PM   #21
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
I'm interested in an iracing rig. Will you send a link to a good one?
How much do you wanna spend? Econo version (maybe a grand+), or something upper level (say 2-3k)?
PS Prices go up from there
Old 11-02-2020, 06:36 PM   #22
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
How much do you wanna spend? Econo version (maybe a grand+), or something upper level (say 2-3k)?
PS Prices go up from there
$3K is only 2 sets of tires. I'd actually save money in the long run.

Show me upper level, please.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:28 PM   #23
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
$3K is only 2 sets of tires. I'd actually save money in the long run.

Show me upper level, please.
I like your thinking I will put some options for ya later this eve, because...i have to practice on iRacing now!
Here's my rig btw. Middle of the road arrangement.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2020, 10:59 PM   #24
TrackClub

Quote:
I like your thinking I will put some options for ya later this eve, because...i have to practice on iRacing now!
Here's my rig btw. Middle of the road arrangement.
Ok here it goes. A Canadian website, that shows well what's available out there. This is just to give ya an idea of what's on the market, as they carry most of it. The website is a bit of a mess these days, find a tab with Product Categories and navigate from there.

Www.simulation1.ca

Good quality pedals make a big difference as braking feel is important as in RL car. Mid quality pedals deliver sufficient difference and there is no need to spend several thousand bucks here on better kit.

There are decent econo choices like Logitech and Thrustmaster sets that offer turn key sets of a wheel base with a steering wheel plus pedals and even some pros run them, but there much better choices in higher price bracket, but without going crazy.

By far the best in that "middle upper" category is a German firm Fanatec.
They have a US website, so check it out for details.
Id pick ClubSport wheel base V2.5 and ClubSport pedals V3 (if you must, then buy the inverted ones, but i have regular ones and they are just fine for very realistic feel - your call and your wallet . The feel is great, they offer good longevity and top notch quality. You'll need to purchase a steering wheel separately. Buy CSL Elite (or better: CSL Elite WRC) steering wheel as it is a nice size, relatively cheap and light. Real Alcantera and a nice finish too Well positioned buttons (slightly better on the WRC one), which you can program for looking L, R, adjusting brake bias, screen views etc. They offer more expensive steering wheels, but then you have to buy button adapters and it gets a bit more complicated. Also, they are heavier, so the fidelity is not as good imo. Under no circumstances buy a BMW wheel as it is a heavy pig and feels like driving a truck! Formula wheels are also nice. I have one as a spare, but prefer the CSL by a long shot.

New wheel base technology are Direct Drive wheels. They are supposed to provide more fidelity, but are very complex to set up just right for force feedback feel apparently and much more expensive. Note many top shelf pros use the Fanatec wheel base. It is the top choice before going Direct Drive tech.

There are better pedals than Fanatec, but again the price goes up rather dramatically and the $ is better spent on a quality seat and a gaming PC (and keyboard), tv/monitor etc. Popular higher level pedals for "reasonable" $ are Heusinkveld Sprints (double the Fanatec pedals) and the same make Ultimate for 4 times the price. They are very nice, but the Fanatecs are nice enough imo

I have an Obutto seat, it is cheap and simple, yet effective and feels like a real race seat. But, at this time there are much better choices on the market that provide easier mounting points for the pedals especially (i had to rig mine). Forget running any serious set on a kitchen table. You will need a dedicated space for the rig and a table, or stands for a large TV monitor. Some folks run the new huge curved monitor sets, others run 3 monitors. Those provide better side views. I've always run a single screen and your brain adjusts to it just fine. Albeit you dont see a whole windshield. Fyi if you run 3 monitors you'll need a proper PC to drive the higher graphic load.
There are also virtual reality head sets (forget the proper name) but some folks suffer serious headaches etc using them. But i hear they can be a cat's meow reality wise. Maybe step 2 to try out later?

Dont buy any accessories like shifters, as most cars have sequential trannies and you shift via steering wheel paddles. This is almost a must to be competitive out there. You can drive any car using paddle shifters, doesnt matter what it is.

A proper gaming PC with a quality graphics card is highly recommended. Big stores sell big names in that regard, but there are also shops that will build one for you. I used a Canadian co and mine cost me about 2k.

If going with a single tv/monitor the wider the better.

Seat rigs will be next. I will post some pix with my commentary shortly. Last will be a few words about iRacing. Cheers!
Old 11-02-2020, 11:06 PM   #25
TrackClub

Here are some examples of good seat rigs.
This one (RSEAT) is probably my fave and thats what i would get today. It belongs to a pro Nascar Cup driver. Finn in the seat, minding the fort
He is on iRacing very frequently. Fyi during the first wave of Covid19, both Nascar and Indycar run official televised braces on iRacing as a platform. It looked damn real on TV with regualar pro series commentators!
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2020, 11:08 PM   #26
TrackClub

Here's another one, from the same company that specializes in sim works et al:
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2020, 11:14 PM   #27
TrackClub

Here's another type with a direct drive wheel and Fanatec pedals. The 2 above used Fanatec wheel base, but upgraded pedals. Again, Fanatec pedals will do superbly well - guaranteed.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2020, 11:17 PM   #28
TrackClub

Here are close up shots of my Fanatec pedals and CSL Elite steering wheel.
Attached Images