Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-15-2019, 10:10 PM   #15
Ev1lTwinXD

Drives: 18 Camaro RS NightfallGrey Metallic
To try and reply to all of you who have great advice about the car. First as for the insurance I’m about the same as you for insurance with just over 100 a month. So that’s a relieve that it’s about the same. I should have mentioned that my RS is paid for. My father always told me that is the best thing about a car. Just pay it and never worry about it again. I would be buying a used ZL1 if I go that way.

As for weather and storage the best I could do is a car cover. Maybe a storage/garage for snow weather (not a lot of snow here until Jan-Feb maybe)

Test driving: I have driven one once at work but it was so short I was worthless to compare to anything. So I’ll just say I haven’t driven one technically. I will for sure test drive one and see.

I have looked at the SS models but for some reason I find the front end the worst looking one of the models. Idk what it is but the horizontal fog lights idk. If I do go the SS route I will learn to live with them. Not a big deal.

Maintenance: After all your thoughts I can live with the oil changes and stuff like that. However have to replace the tires so often idk if I can deal with that because that money stacks up fast. Now the paint I can get a coat on the car depending on what is already done to it. The exterior of the car is the most important to me hands down. Finally this is the first I’m hearing of the oil pump issue and it scares me to death if that happens. Now I’m not going to race or abuse this car so all should be well. Although there is always a risk with cars no matter what.

Any other thoughts you guys can think of would be very helpful. Thanks guys!
Ev1lTwinXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:50 PM   #16
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I don’t track mine either and the tires are no big deal. Just get some that have a better treadwear rating than the GYs. Michelin is good and also Continental tires. Both have decent traction and a better treadwear than the Supercar tires. Don’t worry about the oil pump problem as the failures are few and far between but it does happen. Don’t let that stop you from buying a ZL1! And yes buying used shouldn’t be a problem either. Just look for one with low miles or a CPO ZL1 from a Chevy dealer.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:53 AM   #17
Artryan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 , 2020 GMC AT4 Carbon Pro
I love my Z, but all things considered, if it were my DD and I had to do it over again I think I would buy a new Supra for the same money as my slightly used ZL1. Since it's not my DD, I can let some of the inconveniences and quirks of ownership slide.
Artryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:33 AM   #18
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artryan View Post
I love my Z, but all things considered, if it were my DD and I had to do it over again I think I would buy a new Supra for the same money as my slightly used ZL1. Since it's not my DD, I can let some of the inconveniences and quirks of ownership slide.
So you don't like going fast? (Kidding)
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:50 AM   #19
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
If you're going to DD a ZL1, get 2 things on the car:

1. Michelin PS4S tires for 3 seasons in VA, snow tires for the 4th. DO NOT drive the OEM goodyears in cold or wet conditions; they will try to kill you.

2. PPF on the front, rockers up to the body line, and in front of and behind the rear wheels.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:21 PM   #20
RSV4_Racer25

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Hey Ev1lTwinXD,

I'm in Richmond VA also! I traded my 2015 STI for a 2019 ZL1. I can tell you it was a waaaayyy better daily driver than the ZL1. I love the power and handling of the ZL1 in comparison, but the last week of raining everyday really brought to light that the stock SC3 tires, RWD, and HP of the ZL1 do not mix. Tires hydroplaned and tires spun at modest throttle inputs :-)!

You could pin the STI's throttle with Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on the STI (Mine was 425 whp with turbo and FMIC upgrade) in pouring down rain and it still would not spin the tires, that AWD system was amazing.

So now I'm rebuilding my 1999 Eclipse GSX so I can daily drive it in bad weather. I still wont trade in the ZL1, I will use it for sunny days and VIR track time!

Insurance rates and paint quality are the same as my Subaru was.
RSV4_Racer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #21
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSV4_Racer25 View Post
Hey Ev1lTwinXD,

I'm in Richmond VA also! I traded my 2015 STI for a 2019 ZL1. I can tell you it was a waaaayyy better daily driver than the ZL1. I love the power and handling of the ZL1 in comparison, but the last week of raining everyday really brought to light that the stock SC3 tires, RWD, and HP of the ZL1 do not mix. Tires hydroplaned and tires spun at modest throttle inputs :-)!

You could pin the STI's throttle with Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on the STI (Mine was 425 whp with turbo and FMIC upgrade) in pouring down rain and it still would not spin the tires, that AWD system was amazing.

So now I'm rebuilding my 1999 Eclipse GSX so I can daily drive it in bad weather. I still wont trade in the ZL1, I will use it for sunny days and VIR track time!

Insurance rates and paint quality are the same as my Subaru was.
How about throwing some PS4S tires on and laughing at any weather above 40 degrees?

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:17 PM   #22
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
How about throwing some PS4S tires on and laughing at any weather above 40 degrees?
While I’m sure it wouldn’t hold a candle to his AWD STI with all seasons, the MP4S i have on my ZLE are nice on the street and i agree with ya totally DD capable with them.

OP, i would go ahead and fulfill this want, as a used ZL1 would have to be close to the best bargain all around performer currently on the market.

And i have seen the oil pump issue, makes me timid to tune...but get one under warranty and don’t let it bug you. If you want to see reliability issues, join the 350 groups...yikes! They make this car look like a Toyota!
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #23
RSV4_Racer25

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I agree, that's my next purchase!
RSV4_Racer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:32 PM   #24
Ev1lTwinXD

Drives: 18 Camaro RS NightfallGrey Metallic
Just an update on the search: So I’m looking at a 18 ZL1 this guy is selling. The car is mint condition and has been stored in rain/snow. It only has 3,700 miles on it and he is asking 52,000 for it.

What I want to know is if this is a fair price (I think it is) and just using the car as a daily driver what problems would I face.
Ev1lTwinXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:14 PM   #25
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev1lTwinXD View Post
Just an update on the search: So I’m looking at a 18 ZL1 this guy is selling. The car is mint condition and has been stored in rain/snow. It only has 3,700 miles on it and he is asking 52,000 for it.

What I want to know is if this is a fair price (I think it is) and just using the car as a daily driver what problems would I face.
A10 or M6?
As stated before get the PS4S. Weathertech floor mats. A helmet bc you will want to race it. Gas card with any discounts bc it drinks a lot of petrol. It’s an amazing machine for sure!
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:22 PM   #26
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yes it’s a good/fair price for a 2 year old ZL1! It still has some bumper to bumper warranty left on it too. The ZL1 is like driving an SS daily except for when you punch it, it takes off. The only thing I can see a problem would be the GY supercar tires and you can change them for a set of better tires like the Michelin or others. If you can keep your foot out of it, a ZL1 will get decent gas mileage. The ZL1 you found seems to be a good deal especially with only 3,700 miles and you can save money buying used verses new. That’s how I got to own a ZL1 by buying used as mine only had 422 miles and was just a little more cost than the 2018 you are looking at now. I bought mine last March and have no regrets!
Old 01-07-2020, 01:28 AM   #27
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
FWIW, all Camaros are painted and assembled at Lansing Grand River.

Paint quality will be the same throughout the entire line. Essentially there will be no change in the paint quality from an LS to a ZLE.

ZL1 is a heavy car although it doesn't perform like one. If you are aggressive, tires, gasoline and oil will be consumed at an escalated rate...It's so worth it.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:34 AM   #28
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
I bought my 17 2ss new, over a few years I swapped all the suspension components with the 1le stuff (everything except the e-diff and rear cradle), and put replica zl1 rims with the zl1 sized tires.

I was after better handling instead of more go fast, at least at first.

I had convinced myself I had prettttty close to 1le handling.

When I traded that in for my current 18zl1, it is a difference between night and day I think. obviously the power is drastic, but it feels like the handling is as well. The ride comfort hasn't really changed much (including daily driving, and 500+ mile road trips). Insurance only went up $22 a month for the same coverage I had on the SS.

I honestly started off the trade with the mindset that I'll later trade the zl1 (used, not new) for a new 2020 2ss 1le when they started hitting market. This car has 100% changed my mind. I won't be happy with a 1le anymore, and am actually holding off for either a c8 or a lightly used 2019 zl1 1le automatic.

so basically, I was happy with my 2ss, but I just got happier the more I modded it and happiest so far with the zl1.

I feel compelled to add that I also used to own a 750hp vr-4 that I modified pretty heavily, both suspension and motor. I needed vp-118 to reach those hp levels however (e-85 wasn't really a thing when I had it), so it was prolly 400-450 hp daily driven (it's my guess for that boost level, I only dynoed it at max effort @ 29 psi, I could only get about 15psi on 93 octane). My current zl1 feels every bit as fast as that car was, even from a launch, and it feels WAY more confident in handling. So you could say, the zl1 scratches a back-in-the-day-itch that I've been yearning for since.

Last edited by crosive; 01-07-2020 at 06:40 AM. Reason: forgot some details
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote