Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-27-2017, 06:13 PM   #15
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.C. Collins View Post
Ingredients: 1 2017 Camaro SS 1LE ($41,000). 1 supercharger of your choice ($7,500-$8,500).

Am i crazy to think you'll get 98% of the performance without all the hassle and expense?
yes.

You have a car hacked into, no warranty and no resale value.
Increased engine power will make the car more difficult to handle.....in the end slower around a track.

The 1LE ZL1 has a new suspension tuned to handle that power and get it to the ground.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:39 PM   #16
R.C. Collins

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
yes.

You have a car hacked into, no warranty and no resale value.
Increased engine power will make the car more difficult to handle.....in the end slower around a track.

The 1LE ZL1 has a new suspension tuned to handle that power and get it to the ground.
Stab me with a fork right now. For sale: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE, Whipple supercharged, 7 miles, $1.😎
R.C. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Am i crazy to think you'll get 98% of the performance without all the hassle and expense?
With all due respect....yes. Very much yes.

You left out the suspension and the tires, which is a full half of the difference between the SS 1LE and the ZL1 1LE (both in performance and price)...and the associated build-quality.

Sorry...these threads come out all the time when they build a better birdhouse. And it's always the same thing...to reach the level of durability, and performance...you cannot duplicate these things at home for less.

But if all you want is the numbers for a little while? Go for it.

PRICE, RELIABILITY, PERFORMANCE.....pick two.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #18
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I think modding a 1LE with a PD will easily challenge the ZL1 on a road course or drag strip. The ZL1 1LE on a road course would probably require a bit more for sure! But then again a drivers race like all the rest... Internals.. That's another thing but all in all it's really apples to oranges here. I can DD my with comfort and is a DD/Track car. The ZL1 1LE looks to be more of a track car. With heated and cooled seats though lol.

Things to keep in mind. Vintage on these forums sadly blew up on a road course yesterday in his 1LE but he followed the book and will more then likely have everything taken care of by GM. Me on the other hand, I like to play so I will more than likely have to pay if I was to have an issue. And I accept that.

SO watch you future ZL1 1LE owners. lol
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:45 PM   #19
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
very bad idea in my opinion, from both financially and reliability perspective.

In addition to that, it won't be the same car after all that. It's just apples to oranges. GM (more specifically Camaro team) obviously put a lot of thought into process in all their hi-performance variants (1LE, ZL1 and now ZL1 1LE) and adding power is just one thing in the whole equation. The car is a total package and camaro team designed from scratch to be driven hard on the "road, drag strip and road course" .. "it never over heated " a statement from the last MT ZL1 video ..

, not the mention the suspension tuning, wider fenders, wheels, tires, aero, weight reduction..list goes on ..by the time you end up having as reliable as the OEM you already spend more than the initial cost, if you add up the time and the risks associated with it, I would add those to the cost also since my time is valuable..

With that said, 1LE is still a great value on its own, adding an aftermarket SC kit would just ruin that (been there done that), last time I checked the new ZL1 as can be found as low as $55k not bad at all, considering the fact the retaining the total value vs ruining it because of modifying ..another problem is the actual trim level vs package name difference; when trading or selling a 1LE will be considered as SS with a package whereas ZL1 has its own Trim name and somewhat easier/hassle free to request the actual resale value because of that so the dealership cannot play dumb, if you know what I mean
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #20
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
SS 1LE would be pretty sweet with Katech stage 2 600 naturally aspirated hp.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #21
Joe's_cool_1le

lol. Some people like to say they have enough but come on now... You are the minority if true. Call me old school but that's what this race is all about. Making your car unique and most times that means tinkering with a few performance mods. Granted some go further then others. But to each his own right? No right or wrong way? Mine is definitely not the right way for all... but it's right way for me. Just enjoy your ride! As I fly by! lol. J/K
Old 02-28-2017, 12:13 AM   #22
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Oh I am not judging anyone's opinion don't get me wrong I simply think there is "right" or "wrong way" though

ZL1 would be that "right way" since it's ready from factory, investment is attached to the sticker price so it won't lose its value like an aftermarket SC kit or lowers the car's value because it's highly modified ...etc ..etc.. Going with the ZL1 route doesn't cost a lot more than paying for an aftermarket kits especially if you put the (never-ending) supporting mods into account I personally blew two headers, a muffler, snapped 2 belts when I put FI in an NA motor ..but hey I didn't lose the motor so I consider myself lucky lol

if money is not an objection then yes there is no right or wrong way
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:09 AM   #23
Joe's_cool_1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
Oh I am not judging anyone's opinion don't get me wrong I simply think there is "right" or "wrong way" though
LOL. That sir is exactly what an opinion is. Only chance that it's not is if you're God, Jesus, or the second coming because clearly there are no laws that state what a right or wrong way to do this.

Opinions - goes back to the hole thing. We all have them. Your hole isn't any better then mind sir. Could smell better though. HAHA
Old 02-28-2017, 07:51 AM   #24
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
SS 1LE would be pretty sweet with Katech stage 2 600 naturally aspirated hp.
SHHHHhhhhh..... Don't steal my plan, I want to have the 1st 1LE with this package!!!
Old 02-28-2017, 08:04 AM   #25
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
You are not crazy, just not thinking through all of the side issues like:
  • Warranty
  • Heat soak
  • The overall weight is not less
  • Long term reliability
  • Reduced value of the 1LE (1LE+SC=$50K, car is worth $35K if you are lucky)
  • Currently you can buy a ZL1 M6 in the mid $50s

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...rchSource=SORT

I have built a twin turbo 1LE and owned a ZL1. I prefer the ZL1 hands down.