#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-19-2018, 09:36 PM   #15
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Good luck man. I’m subscribed

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:09 AM   #16
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Guys just to update, I've had this car up to check and recheck. It is definitely not the end links. Dealer appointment on Monday. I'm still hard-pressed to believe it's the damper making this sound.
Thanks for the update. Best of luck with this issue. Hopefully it won't cost you any seat time.

Please keep us posted.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:24 PM   #17
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Update:

Brought the car to a dealer that is one of the top Corvette dealers in California figuring they would have a good service department. First thing the guy says, "Have you modded this car at all other than the wing and the stuff on the front here?"

Couple hours later he says the techs have determined the grease is from a bad front hub and that is also what is causing the clunk. Apparently, they missed the fact that you can physically see grease coming out of the "breather" on the bottom-side of the DSSV and the breather missing on the RF side.

I had checked the hub prior to this and saw no play or abnormal noises nor have I ever seen a bad hub make the clunking sound shown above in the video. I'm almost tempted to let them give me a new hub for free, but I don't want the hassle.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #18
Lethal Z
American Gearhead!!

Drives: ZL1 1LE/GT350/Ford RS/Gen 2 Raptor
Quote:
Update:

Brought the car to a dealer that is one of the top Corvette dealers in California figuring they would have a good service department. First thing the guy says, "Have you modded this car at all other than the wing and the stuff on the front here?"

Couple hours later he says the techs have determined the grease is from a bad front hub and that is also what is causing the clunk. Apparently, they missed the fact that you can physically see grease coming out of the "breather" on the bottom-side of the DSSV and the breather missing on the RF side.

I had checked the hub prior to this and saw no play or abnormal noises nor have I ever seen a bad hub make the clunking sound shown above in the video. I'm almost tempted to let them give me a new hub for free, but I don't want the hassle.
That's when I would have gotten back in my car and left. You must have wanted to laugh and shake your head at the same time when he said that. It's really sad there is so much incompetence and lack of product knowledge within dealerships today. Good luck with your issue.
Lethal Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:43 PM   #19
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Z View Post
That's when I would have gotten back in my car and left. You must have wanted to laugh and shake your head at the same time when he said that. It's really sad there is so much incompetence and lack of product knowledge within dealerships today. Good luck with your issue.
That is the unfortunate consequence of a dealership that sells cars ranging from $20Kish up to $100K +

When you start paying $60k+ for a car, you are reaching a different customer base with higher expectations.

I don't think that they get that at most dealerships.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:59 PM   #20
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Update:

Wow.

If you want it fixed for free/under warranty, unfortunately you're going to have to let them get through all of their preliminary problems and testing. They have to follow a handbook that all dealers are given to prevent giving away free parts. Though it does seem like it often stands in the way of progress, it does save GM a lot of time and money.

I would take it to another dealer or try to make it work at that store.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #21
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Update:

It would seem if it was the hub, the abs would be on, right? Especially if it is making noise. Not saying it isn't the problem, but sure isn't pointing to that. Is there any lateral or vertical movement in the wheel articulating around the hub?

I do remember on the 5th gen camaros that if they were lowered to far and tracked the grease would get hot, liquefy and sling all over. Not that I have experienced that before
Old 07-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #22
seanblurr

There is no indication of a typical hub/wheel bearing failure.

Just to prove it is not the end links, I disconnect the end links from the sway bar and the clunk remained.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:15 PM   #23
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Update:

I'm sorry to hear that.

This is happening everywhere, the sad truth is that it is a matter of economics. A popular way for dealerships to maximize their profits (it is their right, I get it) is by trimming payroll in their service departments. Bean counters are calling the shots. It almost feels as if, they got our money for the sale of the vehicle and now they could care less about QUALITY service for that car.

In order to feed their families and pay the mortgage, skilled and "master techs" are changing careers or migrating to places that they can afford to live and provide for their families. The only certified Corvette master tech here left the dealership for that reason. He wanted to sell cars a day or two a week to supplement his income, but his request was denied. He resigned, what is left in that service department is definitely sub par (to put it nicely).

Although he moved on to another career, he still works on cars on the side for friends (has a sexy garage). He told me that he charges half of what the dealership would and then makes twice as much as he did working for them.

The customer loses and the dealership loses. I am however, sympathetic to the owner (satire implied), I know that it's expensive to own and maintain a private jet so you can travel back and forth between your west coast and Hawaii dealerships.

Anyway, Thanks for the update, please keep us posted.

Sorry for the semi off-topic rant.

I know of 3 skilled mechanics that have moved on from here. You can probably find quality techs in Vegas and San Antonio.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:57 PM   #24
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 18' ZL1 A10
I have mag ride not DSSV but I noticed all four of my shocks were leaking fluid when I changed my brake pads back to oem. I had them all replaced under warranty. So I am not exactly surprised by your experience. Sean, I'd say you'd make a good durability tester for GM products. I.E. They should pay you to break stuff!
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:31 PM   #25
Try2paz

Drives: 1967 Nova
Abel or boardwalk?
Try2paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:49 AM   #26
seanblurr

This was Boardwalk.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:55 AM   #27
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Sounds like you should let them replace the wheel bearing if that doesn't fix then they can try fixing the real issue. I've had bad luck at the dealer every time bringing my car in for service is a huge hassle always takes multiple attempts.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:49 AM   #28
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Again, on my 5th gen, I had a rhythmic "rotating" noise. Hard to duplicate and Pinpoint. They heard a noise from the rear diff and placed almost everything in there. Noise was gone for a couple days, but came back and worse. Found out it was the driveshaft hanger bearing. Rusted from inside out.

I guess what I am suggesting is, let them throw parts at it. I know it sucks not having the car, but it needs fixed.