#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 08-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #15
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
I've never been a huge fan of their designs. hopefully this refresh will make it look better. I know it's fast and all, but it just looks like a girls car like the eclipse. In my opinion Nissan did a better job with the 370z and Infiniti G37. I can envision men driving those cars as well as women.

I know not everybody likes the American future-reto look of the Camaro, Mustang and Challenger. So I'm trying to stick with the most direct competition to the Genesis, the other Asian brands...

I personally love the distinctly American styling of the Camaro. So it kind of makes all other coupes in the price range look like a pile of poop in my option. But if the Camaro and Challenger did not exist (and my extension CTS coupe was non-existant). I'd still chose the G37 over the Genesis. Or I'd get a BMW 3-series coupe. I'd really like the Audi A5 coupe too, so in theoretical world, that may have been another preference over the Genesis...

I know what you mean. The American pony cars just have this "beefy" aura in the design and feel. But you have to give it up to the imports. They make damn good cars and this one will find a niche.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #16
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
I was referring to performance not trim packages. You're saying spend a little more for the R Spec with the bigger engine. I'm saying spend a little more for the SS with a bigger engine.

Glad to hear after several years on the market, the entry level Genesis could be as quick as the entry level Camaro

It looks worse than the Z and has worse performance than the pony cars, what's the attraction?? Sales of the Genesis coupe AND sedan combined, still trail the Mustang.
I like the looks of the Genesis coupe, and the 1/4 mile times for the 3.8L GT is right in line with the Camaro's V6. If I had to have a V6 I wouldn't have a problem with owning the Genesis.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:54 AM   #17
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
it's hard to believe they could get a V8 in there. I don't think the car looks bad, it's just that it's a HYUNDAI.

If it was a Mazda RX-7, and there was no Camaro in production i might feel different about it.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #18
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
I was referring to performance not trim packages. You're saying spend a little more for the R Spec with the bigger engine. I'm saying spend a little more for the SS with a bigger engine.
I am saying that it takes a Camaro LT to match features with an R Spec, so compare the truly comparable. The Camaro LS is basically a stripper car not really comparable featurewise with ANY Genesis coupe (as all, for example, come with stardard alloy wheels and bluetooth connectivity). An SS, at minimum is around 5k more, and not comparable featurewise, for that you would need to add options to the 1SS, then where would it baloon? Fact is, if you go the top, a fully loaded track genesis, and a loaded 2SS, you have roughly a 10k difference. When the 333 hp V6 hits the genesis, it may not be quicker than the SS, but it may make it too close for comfort, god fobid they put the new 5.0 429 HP V8 in there.........

Quote:
Glad to hear after several years on the market, the entry level Genesis could be as quick as the entry level Camaro

It looks worse than the Z and has worse performance than the pony cars, what's the attraction?? Sales of the Genesis coupe AND sedan combined, still trail the Mustang.

Actually, the turbo 4 is a lot closer than the Average Camaro V6 than you would suspect and thanks to the Genesis lightweight, the V6 is considerably quicker. So if we want to go by your logic for performance, the genesis R Spec V6 falls between the stripper V6 LS and reletive stripper 1SS in price AND performance, seems to make a hell of a lot of sense to me. Of course any Base Genesis coupe trumps these 2 features easily, and as far as performance has the performance suspension AND brembo brakes (which BTW are not available on a v6 Camaro at any price). And you do realize it is quite easy to put a V6 Camaro well over the $30k mark, right?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #19
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_LHD3 View Post
I like the way they look, they just needed a little more ponies under the hood. I've only seen two on the road and they have been out since '09.

I had a '04 Tiburon V6 and really liked it. I replaced the Hyundai emblems with the Canadian/Korean spec emblems just to confuse the hell out of people. Plus it reduced the stereotype comments.

Believe it or not, insurance for me was cheaper on a 2010 Camaro SS than a 2004 Tiburon GT.
My wife had an 03 Tiburon GT3 v6. That was a great car. It came well equipped and was priced right. IMO they took the prices up too high in the Genesis Coupe and lost some diehard Tiburon owners. If they do add a potent v8 and can keep pricing similar to SS and GT, then they may get some sales back. We have a couple of them in a town of 40000 people. I'm not a fan of the sloped front end and up in the air butt. Which is why the wife now drives a Mustang.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #20
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu71 View Post
My wife had an 03 Tiburon GT3 v6. That was a great car. It came well equipped and was priced right. IMO they took the prices up too high in the Genesis Coupe and lost some diehard Tiburon owners. If they do add a potent v8 and can keep pricing similar to SS and GT, then they may get some sales back. We have a couple of them in a town of 40000 people. I'm not a fan of the sloped front end and up in the air butt. Which is why the wife now drives a Mustang.
Agreed.

I bought my 04 new dirt cheap a week before 05 were being delivered. Sad to say, the car even had real leather seats and it was thick leather.

When I was car shopping this time it was for a 370, G37, or Genesis Coupe. I seen pictures of the Camaro concept but was never much into the muscle thing. I was pretty much dead set on a 370 and was just waiting for more to appear on the lots. When my parents told me they were shopping for a Camaro, I took a second look. Compared prices, potential fun factor, and other yearly cost and the Camaro won. I think I made the best decision. I still grin every time I go to drive it, and I drive it everyday. Only regret is I hate taking it any place where I have to park next to strangers.

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #21
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
I know what you mean. The American pony cars just have this "beefy" aura in the design and feel. But you have to give it up to the imports. They make damn good cars and this one will find a niche.
No I don't.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #22
huggercamaro21
Sales Manager for Chevy

Drives: Tahoe RST
http://blog.caranddriver.com/spied-2...veloster-fied/
Maybe the new front end?
huggercamaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #23
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
I am saying that it takes a Camaro LT to match features with an R Spec, so compare the truly comparable. The Camaro LS is basically a stripper car not really comparable featurewise with ANY Genesis coupe (as all, for example, come with stardard alloy wheels and bluetooth connectivity). An SS, at minimum is around 5k more, and not comparable featurewise, for that you would need to add options to the 1SS, then where would it baloon? Fact is, if you go the top, a fully loaded track genesis, and a loaded 2SS, you have roughly a 10k difference. When the 333 hp V6 hits the genesis, it may not be quicker than the SS, but it may make it too close for comfort, god fobid they put the new 5.0 429 HP V8 in there.........

Actually, the turbo 4 is a lot closer than the Average Camaro V6 than you would suspect and thanks to the Genesis lightweight, the V6 is considerably quicker. So if we want to go by your logic for performance, the genesis R Spec V6 falls between the stripper V6 LS and reletive stripper 1SS in price AND performance, seems to make a hell of a lot of sense to me. Of course any Base Genesis coupe trumps these 2 features easily, and as far as performance has the performance suspension AND brembo brakes (which BTW are not available on a v6 Camaro at any price). And you do realize it is quite easy to put a V6 Camaro well over the $30k mark, right?
You keep talking about trim levels and "stripper" models as if this were an Audi forum and we were comparing who had the most auxiliary jacks in our center console! I'm sorry, that's not fair to the Audi enthusiasts. I venture to say that most people who purchased a Camaro or Mustang/Challenger for that matter, did so based on performance first. Dollar for dollar you get more performance out of these cars than the Genesis. If you're on the verge of spending $26K for a "stripped" Genesis V6, wouldn't you be awfully tempted to spend the extra $4k to step up to a 400+HP V8 with huge modding potential and sex appeal?

Keep in mind, I LOVE the Genesis sedan. That new V8 in a rear-wheel drive platform is solid work by the engineers at Hyundai. I just don't see the niche for the coupe and neither do car buyers.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #24
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
This car looks like shite. I hate those silly lines on the side of the car that angle downward - the design makes no sense at all because those lines don't follow the silhouette of the car.

Like this:

Why is the line on the side of the car a different angle than the top edge of the door? It's like the designer dozed off whilst he was drawing it! Just looks stupid. It's the same reason why I don't like the new Dodge Charger - the lines go off in random angles too.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:36 AM   #25
Stew

Quote:
You keep talking about trim levels and "stripper" models as if this were an Audi forum and we were comparing who had the most auxiliary jacks in our center console! I'm sorry, that's not fair to the Audi enthusiasts. I venture to say that most people who purchased a Camaro or Mustang/Challenger for that matter, did so based on performance first. Dollar for dollar you get more performance out of these cars than the Genesis. If you're on the verge of spending $26K for a "stripped" Genesis V6, wouldn't you be awfully tempted to spend the extra $4k to step up to a 400+HP V8 with huge modding potential and sex appeal?

Keep in mind, I LOVE the Genesis sedan. That new V8 in a rear-wheel drive platform is solid work by the engineers at Hyundai. I just don't see the niche for the coupe and neither do car buyers.
People today generally expect features in their car and the 26k Genesis has more features than the 30k Camaro. Really, how many people here really buy an LS, but instead go up to at least a 1LT. Why did you go for the 2SS RS instead of the stripper 1SS if performance is the ONLY thing that matters?
Old 08-31-2011, 09:32 PM   #26
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
People today generally expect features in their car and the 26k Genesis has more features than the 30k Camaro. Really, how many people here really buy an LS, but instead go up to at least a 1LT. Why did you go for the 2SS RS instead of the stripper 1SS if performance is the ONLY thing that matters?
But those features aren't selling more cars now are they!? I chose the Camaro SS first, then optioned it how I wanted. I didn't shop features first and settle for the lesser car.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:44 PM   #27
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer5679 View Post
still a hyundai
Exactly.

Which means its still an overpriced Korean piece of crap that will have no resale value within a year and will fall apart at 100,000 miles, which coincides with when the powertrain warranty expires.

Hyundai is high on the hog right now because stupid Americans are spending millions of dollars buying their piece of shit cars based purely on styling and the fact that they are cheap. They are essentially disposable cars, and always have been. But with all the recent advertising and the whole Hyundai "brand image" change, they are selling like crazy.

Anyone who has worked on a Hyundai can tell you what underengineered pieces of shit they are. Literally built to last long enough to get you off the dealers lot. The metal used to build them is also atrocious, basically recycled tin cans, the exhausts and body panels rot out quicker than you can burn a tank of gas

What also cracks me up is the Genesis sedan. Why buy a Mercedes-Benz or BMW when you could spend just as much or more on a HYUNDAI?? The people who buy those things must be some kind of retarded.
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #28
Stew

Quote:
But those features aren't selling more cars now are they!? I chose the Camaro SS first, then optioned it how I wanted. I didn't shop features first and settle for the lesser car.
The point was that the pricing is correct and competitive with the Camaro V6, not the SS