Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #15
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
I have this same problem with my Sliverado - have had mice build nests on top of the cabin air filter multiple times and it stinks beyond belief if you drive the car with the HVAC on. Only remedy is to pull the cabin air filter, clean everything out, and replace the filter.

As far as traps go, here is what you want to do:

- You want to use the ORIGINAL Victor mouse traps ONLY. These are the ones with a wooden base and a springloaded bar.
- Bait with peanut butter and pack it into the 'barrel' where the bait goes and don't leave any on the outside - you need to force them to poke their nose in there and move the barrel.
- Here's the key: you have to adjust the sensitivity of the traps so that they have a "hair trigger"

The two adjustments you need to make are as follows:

- The bait holder slips onto a 'staple' in the base to hold it in place. The vertical piece of metal on this component needs to be straightened so that it is closer to perfectly vertical. Don't go all the way to perfectly vertical, just close to it.

- On that same vertical piece of metal is a small piece that is bent into the shape of a "V" and extends out horizontally. When you fold over the spring arm, there's a holding arm that comes down and goes under this "V" to lock the trap. Take a pair of pliers and flatten that "V" out just a little so that the holding arm barely stays underneath it when set.

And they are super cheap! Do NOT get the ones that have the yellow bait piece that is supposed to "small" like cheese - they don't work. And glue traps are just plain cruel. These original traps are instantaneous death to the mouse. They feel absolutely nothing and their last thought is just how delicious this peanut butter is goi....

These two adjustments done correctly will make that trap work 100% of the time without fail. Here's a pic of one properly adjusted and baited in my garage...
Attached Images

ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:17 PM   #16
Hekate1

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I have this same problem with my Sliverado - have had mice build nests on top of the cabin air filter multiple times and it stinks beyond belief if you drive the car with the HVAC on. Only remedy is to pull the cabin air filter, clean everything out, and replace the filter.

As far as traps go, here is what you want to do:

- You want to use the ORIGINAL Victor mouse traps ONLY. These are the ones with a wooden base and a springloaded bar.
- Bait with peanut butter and pack it into the 'barrel' where the bait goes and don't leave any on the outside - you need to force them to poke their nose in there and move the barrel.
- Here's the key: you have to adjust the sensitivity of the traps so that they have a "hair trigger"

The two adjustments you need to make are as follows:

- The bait holder slips onto a 'staple' in the base to hold it in place. The vertical piece of metal on this component needs to be straightened so that it is closer to perfectly vertical. Don't go all the way to perfectly vertical, just close to it.

- On that same vertical piece of metal is a small piece that is bent into the shape of a "V" and extends out horizontally. When you fold over the spring arm, there's a holding arm that comes down and goes under this "V" to lock the trap. Take a pair of pliers and flatten that "V" out just a little so that the holding arm barely stays underneath it when set.

And they are super cheap! Do NOT get the ones that have the yellow bait piece that is supposed to "small" like cheese - they don't work. And glue traps are just plain cruel. These original traps are instantaneous death to the mouse. They feel absolutely nothing and their last thought is just how delicious this peanut butter is goi....

These two adjustments done correctly will make that trap work 100% of the time without fail. Here's a pic of one properly adjusted and baited in my garage...
Wow that’s very detailed and I appreciate you taking the time to write it. My husband bought some plastic traps and they don’t work well. I agree about the glue boards too. Am going to get the good old fashioned wooden ones and make the adjustments. I’m the kind of person who takes spiders outside rather than kill them but now Mickey has messed with my car. No bueno. Thanks again.
Hekate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:18 PM   #17
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekate1 View Post
Wow that’s very detailed and I appreciate you taking the time to write it. My husband bought some plastic traps and they don’t work well. I agree about the glue boards too. Am going to get the good old fashioned wooden ones and make the adjustments. I’m the kind of person who takes spiders outside rather than kill them but now Mickey has messed with my car. No bueno. Thanks again.
ACE Hardware used to sell them. Amazon has them for like $12 for a 16 pack or something. They work so long as you adjust them. Otherwise, you're just feeding the mice.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #18
Hekate1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
ACE Hardware used to sell them. Amazon has them for like $12 for a 16 pack or something. They work so long as you adjust them. Otherwise, you're just feeding the mice.
We have an Ace in our little town. Will go see if they have some
Old 07-03-2020, 08:24 PM   #19
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
I’ve been using dryer sheets over the winters and <knock on wood> haven’t had any critter issues.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:11 AM   #20
Hekate1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
I’ve been using dryer sheets over the winters and <knock on wood> haven’t had any critter issues.
Do u just lay them around the car?
Old 07-05-2020, 06:23 AM   #21
wwiiavfan

Yes I just form a perimeter of them on the floor around the car, sort of like a moat!
Old 07-05-2020, 07:47 AM   #22
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
I used 2 products from Amazon on my wifes car which sits outside.

Loraffe Under Hood Rodent Ultrasonic Rat Repellent Mice Deterrent with Ultrasound and LED Flashlights, for 12V 24V Vehicle Auto Garage Pest Control, Keep Animal from Chewing Car Wir

You'll also see a spray repellant on the same page which also works pretty well.
Attached Images

craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:12 AM   #23
GAFUN

Drives: 2018 Summit White 1LE
I had an RV and didnt want a rodent problem. Many people in the RV community
use Freash Cab, they work very good at keeping them away. I think they smell
great. like fresh cut pine and cedar. Just toss a couple under the car, or even
inside if you like the smell.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...CAAEgIdOvD_BwE
GAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:58 AM   #24
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Once you get that Victor mousetrap working, just leave the bodies lying around the car... Future mice will get the idea. lol
Old 07-05-2020, 02:52 PM   #25
Ron2ss

Drives: 2020 2ss vert
I use these traps:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...2?cm_vc=-10005

Just put a small dab of peanut butter in the small cup and set the trap. No fooling with anything. The trap gets them just behind the head and kills them instantly. No fuss, no mess. It is impossible for the critters to steal the bait. Works every time!
Ron2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:31 PM   #26
Hekate1

Well we got one mouse this weekend with the peanut butter. Going to try some of the other ideas you all have provided. The new 1LE will b here soon and I CANNOT have them getting in there, too! Thank u all for ur suggestions!
Old 07-05-2020, 07:58 PM   #27
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekate1 View Post
Well we got one mouse this weekend with the peanut butter. Going to try some of the other ideas you all have provided. The new 1LE will b here soon and I CANNOT have them getting in there, too! Thank u all for ur suggestions!
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:39 PM   #28
wwiiavfan

Not sure if traps are the better way for this situation. Might be better off with using something that repels them rather than draws them in (something tasty). Luring them into a trap is all well and good, but that only takes care of one. Like the old saying if you can see one, there are a bunch more you can’t see.
Not saying traps don’t work, but it gets to be like whack a mole. If you aren’t there very regularly clearing the trap, you are luring more in that won’t get trapped.
Went thru this a few years back in my basement. Saw one, so I put out a trap. Got him pretty quick, but noticed a whole bunch more mouse turds. So I put out more traps. Just brought more mice around. Sure I was trapping them at 3-4 per day, but how many more we’re not getting trapped. Finally solved it by finding and plugging where they were getting in.
Good luck to you, I hope they stay away from your car. This is the biggest fear I have storing in a public facility. Worst part is, if they damage your car, the rental place insurance doesn’t cover it.