Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-08-2023, 12:12 PM   #15
Sillysspeed

Drives: 98 Camaro
Never heard of a lithium battery made in the USA. We Dont have that raw material here. I believe china has it tho. They are great for weight savings.
Sillysspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 12:50 PM   #16
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Hopefully "Made in China" doesn't mean "burst into flames in your garage and burn your entire house down"... No idea what a "Lithium Iron Sulfate" battery is, but I hope it is nothing close to a "Lithium Ion" battery...
All battery manufacturers of lithium batteries, even the ones that are "made in the USA" use Chinese lithium batteries. That is the only source of origination for the cells. So no matter what you pay for it, you are paying for the build quality depending on the price. Not so much the cells. Even Gravity and Battleborns use Chinese cells
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, 186* LS3 T-stat, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Corsa NPP mufflers, Borla X pipe, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 02:38 PM   #17
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Less weight.

No.
~30 lbs less and more peppy? No. But save weight where you can since it does all add up.

If this weight was saved on a motorcycle then yes.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 02:47 PM   #18
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Great information about the temperature characteristics.

It sounds like this might not be a good battery for a daily driver in some climates.
I was going to say the same. I came through Arizona in August in 2020, and the temp in my trunk was easily over 50 deg. (C). Unfortunately, I had some eye meds back there, and was advised by my doc. to throw them away and get a new prescription.

On hot days if you're driving for hours, the massive muffler just heats everything up back there.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 03:34 PM   #19
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
I feel like we'd have to knock about 200lbs off this pig to notice a difference. Can that even be done?

Lightweight battery, remove the back seats, trunk material, replace the fronts with lighter ones, no cats...what else would be relatively easy to do to save weight?
2018 Audi RS3 - Many mods & e85
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 05:12 PM   #20
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
I feel like we'd have to knock about 200lbs off this pig to notice a difference. Can that even be done?

Lightweight battery, remove the back seats, trunk material, replace the fronts with lighter ones, no cats...what else would be relatively easy to do to save weight?
I have all that plus 18” race wheels. Also race tires are lighter in 18” as well.

I have LT headers, no cats and a axle back with no mufflers or resonators. I would say my car is approaching 200lbs lighter from stock.

Last edited by NG329; 05-08-2023 at 08:13 PM.
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 08:18 PM   #21
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
I had the car corner weighted and the cross weight was close to 50% from the factory with 195 lbs of simulated driver weighting:

LF 1103 RF 1072
LR 934 RR 920

Looks like taking weight out of the battery corner will need to rebalance the car again. Interesting option regardless.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:55 PM   #22
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
I had the car corner weighted and the cross weight was close to 50% from the factory with 195 lbs of simulated driver weighting:

LF 1103 RF 1072
LR 934 RR 920

Looks like taking weight out of the battery corner will need to rebalance the car again. Interesting option regardless.
Exactly why I'm always on the fence about reducing weight in the rear (with the battery and lighter exhaust). If anything the driven wheels need some weight to keep that LT4 tamed.

50% cross weight is more important to me. If anything we need to save more weight up front in the ZL1/1LE.
Old 05-09-2023, 04:28 PM   #23
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
Exactly why I'm always on the fence about reducing weight in the rear (with the battery and lighter exhaust). If anything the driven wheels need some weight to keep that LT4 tamed.

50% cross weight is more important to me. If anything we need to save more weight up front in the ZL1/1LE.
Experienced drivers know that you can control the weight bias with the throttle. The only real adverse affect is that you can't trail brake as hard. You can work around it.

Plus when you replace front seats, install lighter headers, remove the cats it doesn't really affect the balance too much. A lot of guys simply don't drive hard enough for it to really matter.
Old 05-09-2023, 04:41 PM   #24
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i did seat harness half cage seat delete full spl parts kit battery and coilovers all around the same time lol lost a ton of weight and car feels just fine i mean if anything car feels way better now and only have to do alignment once a year or so and i do around 7-8 track days a year
Old 05-09-2023, 05:33 PM   #25
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
~30 lbs less and more peppy? No. But save weight where you can since it does all add up.

If this weight was saved on a motorcycle then yes.
The peppiness has nothing to do with weight. Reading in between the lines what the vendor is saying that the voltage supplied to the ignition system is strong and consistent which would ensure complete combustion of the fuel air mix.

When I said it felt peppier I am saying that the throttle response seemed to have been improved since installing. I'm not necessarily saying that the car is any faster. Just saying that the throttle feels better since installing and there's no lag.

While I don't expect anyone to blindly agree with me without challenging any statements I make, I will say that as a guy who literally logs thousands of laps annually I know what I feel when I'm behind the wheel. Keep an open mind. I gain nothing by pumping a product. Just stating what I feel.
Old 05-10-2023, 01:29 PM   #26
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
The peppiness has nothing to do with weight. Reading in between the lines what the vendor is saying that the voltage supplied to the ignition system is strong and consistent which would ensure complete combustion of the fuel air mix.

When I said it felt peppier I am saying that the throttle response seemed to have been improved since installing. I'm not necessarily saying that the car is any faster. Just saying that the throttle feels better since installing and there's no lag.

While I don't expect anyone to blindly agree with me without challenging any statements I make, I will say that as a guy who literally logs thousands of laps annually I know what I feel when I'm behind the wheel. Keep an open mind. I gain nothing by pumping a product. Just stating what I feel.
That makes sense is just the ~30lb weight loss that didn't with the peppiness.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 03:27 PM   #27
Chippy
BanHamWatch

Drives: 21 ZL1 1LE
I really don’t understand why people think a ZL1 is heavy? It’s only 200pds ish more than the latest greatest C8, a lighter 911 is down on power comparatively.
I’m not saying it’s light but it’s not a pig and show me anything close to its capabilities for anywhere close to its price.
I have driven many other cars on the street and the track and I can absolutely state this car is is a bargain in performance which most here will never come close to be able to drive 10 tenths.
Old 05-10-2023, 04:00 PM   #28
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post

It has nothing to do with the voltage, that's marketing fluff.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote