Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-15-2016, 03:55 PM   #15
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by COmaro View Post
The 2013-14 GT500's are holding their value very well, because they were the top of the heap. The earlier ones are not doing as well, because they were eclipsed by the 2013-14 models. Also, the GT500's were not production limited at all, so there are a lot of them around.
So what happens to the GT350's that are already eclipsed by the R then what happens to the R when its eclipsed by a GT500?

No one here is buying these cars for investments and if they are its crazy because by the time these cars are worth any (if ever) they will be old men with 40+ year old cars with essentially no miles on them because they refused to enjoy them because it would ruin the value. I'll never understand the arguing about which car holds its value better. Stop looking at car's as an investment and enjoy them the way they were meant to be.

Think how sad it is for the people that bought 2007 GT500's and kept them as garage queens. They never enjoyed the car's performance and now its old tech and performance specs have pushed it pretty far down the food chain. For what?!
Old 12-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #16
COmaro

Drives: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Think how sad it is for the people that bought 2007 GT500's and kept them as garage queens. They never enjoyed the car's performance and now its old tech and performance specs have pushed it pretty far down the food chain. For what?!
If you choose the right car, it will depreciate a lot slower than others. In rare cases, you can make money. People paid ADM to get the BMW 1M when it came out, and now they are getting more than they paid for them in 2011, even with 50K+ miles. Almost every 911 ever made is selling for more than it was originally. People who waited for the 2013-14 GT500 are doing pretty well, and the Boss 302s are better than average, too.

New cars are one of the most expensive things you'll ever buy. You won't make money on one except in a few special cases, but you can sure lose a lot of money in a very short period of time if you buy something with poor resale. Ask any Cadillac or Lincoln owner.

If you are really interested in making money, you buy a used sports car that was limited production, had a huge buzz, but is currently not "hot". I work with a guy who bought an Acura NSX for $20K in 2009. Those are now $40K and up. Another guy daily drives (even in snow) a late-80s 911 Turbo convertible. I asked him why on earth he did that, and he said he only lives 5 miles from work, and he couldn't justify buying a car that would depreciate year after year even though he barely drove it. He said it is now worth $20K more than he paid for it 10 years ago even though it has a little rust.

It can be done, but you have to find the right car and have a bit of luck. As expensive as they seem, getting a GT-R with under 40K miles for under $70k is probably a no lose deal in the long run. They fit the profile: huge buzz, low production, prices level off once they are five or so years old. Lotus Elise is another that has bottomed out and is now rising.

The C5 Z06 is probably not going any lower, either.
COmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:32 PM   #17
pdiddy972

Drives: 2017 Corvette Stingray Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
While true, the LT1 is very close to the LT4 with minor differences. So yes, you could get a SS really close to a ZL1. The 1LE optioned cars would be the better ones to do it as well since they have the MRC, eDif, better wheels and the better brakes.

That is part of the reason I am leaning towards the 1LE myself, then once I am almost paid off I can put a supercharger on it and have even more fun with it.
Doesn't the LT4 have forged internals appropriate for reliable forced induction? And there's a lot more difference between an SS and a ZL1 than the engine.
pdiddy972 is offline   Reply With Quote