Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 03-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #15
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
I like this...I like it a lot. Sounds old school, not excessively loud but a real nice aggressive deep tone. Not even sure what drone is. If talking about the sound old muscle cars make then give me drone because I have owned old school performance from the 60s and loved it.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:18 PM   #16
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
I like this...I like it a lot. Sounds old school, not excessively loud but a real nice aggressive deep tone. Not even sure what drone is. If talking about the sound old muscle cars make then give me drone because I have owned old school performance from the 60s and loved it.
Drone as I know it is when your ears are about to start bleeding and your head feels like it is going to explode on top of near blurry vision.

My 2011 with flowmaster exhaust, high flow cats and headers, cam and supercharger was terrible around 1500 rpm under load I changed my exhaust. Could not take it.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:35 PM   #17
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post
Drone as I know it is when your ears are about to start bleeding and your head feels like it is going to explode on top of near blurry vision.

My 2011 with flowmaster exhaust, high flow cats and headers, cam and supercharger was terrible around 1500 rpm under load I changed my exhaust. Could not take it.
Is this drone some new type of phenomenon? Never heard of it until coming here.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:20 AM   #18
exxit

Drives: 2016 1SS D1SC Methfed Lowered Wrapd
Quote:
you could possibly have experienced it and thought it was simply exhaust sound but I definitely doubt it.

put it in high gear on the freeway at like 3kish and feed it some throttle. If you feel/hear a deep deafening* (that part is the key) hum... That is drone.
// 3M/Gotch Design Sponsored Gloss Deep Space Colorshift Wrap //
exxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #19
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
Quote:
Drone is the vibrating interior resonance you get with deep sounding mufflers that pretty much prevents you from having a conversation with passangers or listen to your own thoughts because its so loud and boomy inside lol. Also drone can make your car rattle. It's how harmonics work. It's like bass in your speakers, but coming from the mufflers. The deeper the tone, the more likely you will have drone/interior vibrating resonance, the higher pitch the tone, the lower the chance of drone typically. I have flowmasters on my old 91 camaro and they drone a bit but its bearable. However, the overall volume of the chambered flowmasters is pretty quiet compared to my 2016's Borla's, which still have somewhat of a deep and throaty tone at idle, just without the boominess, but at WOT it just screams, and best of all, drone free.

Last edited by Techn9cian805; 03-05-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Techn9cian805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #20
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
People didn’t use to care because race car and loud. Now older guys have more sophisticated tastes.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:25 AM   #21
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
People didn’t use to care because race car and loud. Now older guys have more sophisticated tastes.
This. But it's not so much because old guys now, its also because people didn't know that you could have a loud exhaust sound sound good without drone. Now that its proven to be possible, it's what most want.

If you daily drive your car and/or have family members that you don't want to deafen or give migraines to, avoid drone. But if that doesn't apply to you, or you don't care, knock your self out. Eitherway you will have a badass sounding car regardless of who you go with. Do you want that louder modern refined racecar sound, or that deeper but not as loud old school muscle car sound? Regardless, you will have to sacrifice something, unless you add diverters to a chambered set up.

Last edited by Techn9cian805; 03-05-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Techn9cian805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #22
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by exxit View Post
you could possibly have experienced it and thought it was simply exhaust sound but I definitely doubt it.

put it in high gear on the freeway at like 3kish and feed it some throttle. If you feel/hear a deep deafening* (that part is the key) hum... That is drone.

Hmmm...I guess I like drone then.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:06 PM   #23
madkat7134

Drives: 2016 camaro 1ss
tech do you know how loud your atak is compared to muffler delete? looking to get rid of the drone while just not as loud but somewhat close to muffler delete level of sound.
madkat7134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:06 PM   #24
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn9cian805 View Post
Drone is the vibrating interior resonance you get with deep sounding mufflers that pretty much prevents you from having a conversation with passangers or listen to your own thoughts because its so loud and boomy inside lol. Also drone can make your car rattle. It's how harmonics work. It's like bass in your speakers, but coming from the mufflers. The deeper the tone, the more likely you will have drone/interior vibrating resonance, the higher pitch the tone, the lower the chance of drone typically. I have flowmasters on my old 91 camaro and they drone a bit but its bearable. However, the overall volume of the chambered flowmasters is pretty quiet compared to my 2016's Borla's, which still have somewhat of a deep and throaty tone at idle, just without the boominess, but at WOT it just screams, and best of all, drone free.
I've had lots of cars with performance exhaust with deep tone, from Flowmasters to Thrush with headers. My 69 RoadRunner had Headers with Performnce mufflers and had the sweetest sound. Never had an exhaust to rattle my interior just a nice over all sound.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #25
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

So this is drone?....

or this?....

then give me drone!
Old 03-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #26
exxit

Drives: 2016 1SS D1SC Methfed Lowered Wrapd