Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-25-2020, 08:34 PM   #15
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Right, 195 HP, 140 or so lbs of torque at about 2400 lbs curb weight. 1/4 mile at 14.7 and a top speed of 125 mph.

It was a beast (not). My 1993 RX-7 ran circles around Integra Rs.
I think not.. The rotary had a hard enough time just starting, please. I can get in and drive mine tomorrow and continue on for the next 5 years, with basic maintenance. Plus we are talking transmissions and the Honda trans has an excellent shifter and shifts like butter, of course, I run carbon syns for my 9500 RPM shifts but there is nothing wrong with the factory syncs. I actually rebuilt two transmissions about 10 years ago "just in case", and have never used one of them.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:02 PM   #16
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
If you have never owned driven and raced an Integra Type R, then you have missed out on something special. My sleeved 2.1 liter NA engine puts out 275 HP at 2400 lbs... you can work the math out yourself I have also built turbo B engines at 450 HP and 2400 lbs...

Yeh...you can also put a sport bike engine in a go kart. Work out the math...not my cup of tea. Now my SS 6 speed is something special.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:43 AM   #17
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
I think not.. The rotary had a hard enough time just starting, please. I can get in and drive mine tomorrow and continue on for the next 5 years, with basic maintenance. Plus we are talking transmissions and the Honda trans has an excellent shifter and shifts like butter, of course, I run carbon syns for my 9500 RPM shifts but there is nothing wrong with the factory syncs. I actually rebuilt two transmissions about 10 years ago "just in case", and have never used one of them.
As Deputy Dog said, you can lift the hood and pour money in to speed up any car. Drive an Integra R off the lot and face off against a stock twin turbo RX-7 and you’ll get destroyed. Take the money spent on souping up an Integra R and put it into a RX-7 and it will chew up and spit out any Integra. I knew guys who were going with 4 rotors on stock internals and pushing 700 hp out of a 2400 lb car.

The tranny in the RX-7 was very nice, as you pointed out the apex seals are another matter.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:47 AM   #18
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
This is true and not true, most guys put headers on day one and then you are dealing with 450+ HP engines with 500 ft -lbs and it is torque that breaks transmissions. Don't get me wrong I love my M6, especially with my Hurst shifter (best mod ever). But to drive a M22 behind a 396 was pure lust, that trans was butter. I also own a Integra Type R , know to be the best trans / engine combo kown to man, the M22 behind a LT1 or 396 is a close second..with good shifter of course.
Yeah but on the old stock bias ply tires of the day, no one could hook up so there really wasn't any danger of breaking an M22 because of the HP or TQ. Now, throw some slicks on there and it's a different story.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:59 AM   #19
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Oh and don't forget that the M22 has terrible gear whine.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:52 AM   #20
VegasZ

Drives: 2020 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
As Deputy Dog said, you can lift the hood and pour money in to speed up any car. Drive an Integra R off the lot and face off against a stock twin turbo RX-7 and you’ll get destroyed. Take the money spent on souping up an Integra R and put it into a RX-7 and it will chew up and spit out any Integra. I knew guys who were going with 4 rotors on stock internals and pushing 700 hp out of a 2400 lb car.

The tranny in the RX-7 was very nice, as you pointed out the apex seals are another matter.
The 4 rotors are cool and all but they are custom made and cost tens of thousands. Hell the coswoth 3 rotor is easily over a 20k swap, usually north of 30k to really do it right.

I was about a day away from getting an LS swapped 94 rx7 ( the checks were cut from the bank and everything) when I changed my mind at the last minute and got a ZL1 instead.

I have been wanting a third gen RX since they first came out but the thought of having something that custom that was built a couple thousand miles away with no good local shops to work on it scared me off. Especially since it still needed the power steering, ac and a “bit of wiring work” to be finished before it was truly complete. Plus I kept reading that the LS made them drive like a Vette and you’re better off just buying a Vette than dealing with the swap hassles. So I drove a couple Vettes and didn’t love them but I did end up loving the ZL1 sitting right beside them

Back on topic the tranny in the third gen RX has been considered one of the best shifting ever made partly because how low the spinning mass is on the rotary.

An NA 3 rotor with peripheral ports is pretty much my dream build for an rx but they are more money than I would be willing to spend on one and we don’t have any rotary shops in Vegas..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQCKxyWah44

Last edited by VegasZ; 02-26-2020 at 11:42 AM.
VegasZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #21
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
Oh and don't forget that the M22 has terrible gear whine.

The gear whine sounded cool in the older cars.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote