#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #15
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroc_Z28 View Post
Strange that it got taken down... anyways, was nothing special really as ninetres said.

Overall he liked the car, said it was fast with tons of grip and handles and mentioned the goodyear f1 3r's were really great on track (not so much in the rain)..
One thing i found interesting is he mentioned that at 75 mph in 6th gear, engine is at 3500 rpm, right in the heart of the torque curve so power is available literally in every gear effortlessly.

His gripes were it felt a little big/ tougher than gt350r to place on the track (probably something you get used to), the clutch engagement out of 1st gear takes some getting used to, and the typical camaro visibility.

I think he preferred the gt350r, just personal preference thing (high rev N/A). But he had no doubt that the zl1 1le would be faster around a track
The RPM's at 75 was one of the two reasons I decided to buy the standard ZL1, the other being the ride quality. My ZL1 at 75 is around 2000 rpm's. They do use a shorter 6th gear in the ZL1 1LE, not really sure why as its still an overdrive gear and most guys on the track wouldn't use 6th, unless its a track like Brainerd or Road America with a really long straight. They would have been better off leaving 6th as a "road" gear.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:11 AM   #16
S.T.A.R.

Drives: 18'-1LE
Thanks Iroc...
S.T.A.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:15 AM   #17
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Quote:
He just mentioned that taking off from a stop, it was difficult to judge where the friction zone of the clutch is, relative to the pedal travel (where it engages and starts moving the car)... he mentioned that he was getting used to it as he drove the car more, wasn't a big deal in the end.
That's interesting because the 350 I drove had terrible clutch feel compared to the Camaro. It was like this weird progressive clutch throw that made it super difficult to feel engagement.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:54 AM   #18
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
He got most of his facts wrong at the beginning of the video. Farah is a known Camaro hater but he tried to pretend to be impressed with it.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #19
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
The RPM's at 75 was one of the two reasons I decided to buy the standard ZL1, the other being the ride quality. My ZL1 at 75 is around 2000 rpm's. They do use a shorter 6th gear in the ZL1 1LE, not really sure why as its still an overdrive gear and most guys on the track wouldn't use 6th, unless its a track like Brainerd or Road America with a really long straight. They would have been better off leaving 6th as a "road" gear.

No kidding. Z/28 also only does ~ 2000 RPMs in 6th at that speed. And folks thought the Z/28 couldn't be used a DD. I def wouldn't want to be at 3500 RPMs back and forth to work for nearly 25 miles each way.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:35 PM   #20
Jmueller

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
To update everyone, this video is now live (again and seems like it is staying up) on YouTube.
Jmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:37 PM   #21
Iroc_Z28

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
awesome! thanks for updating
Iroc_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:38 PM   #22
bucknut2006

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10, 2015 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
I bet they felt with the added aero, that a shorter 6th gear would be necessary to be able to achieve acceleration. It's also meant to be a track car so considerations like highway fuel economy and ride quality are not important.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:47 PM   #23
catdog

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 pdr roof CF blk
Very useful video tomme because it showed zl1-1le suspension feel on real roads
Basically stiff and would be bad on rough pothole ridden roads of New England

As i have both zl1 and gt350 I am getting to really love the zl1 more and more with time, feels like a 1-piece of hunkered down torquey sledge hammer and that has a beauty of its own. Yes it's less of a frantic screamer but the engine sounds great in track mode and car handles perfectly in sport mode with competitive traction control mode.

Takes time to get used to clutch engagement and with the maimo TB opening things up and bit and more miles on the clock, getting addicted to the zl1 gestalt and loving gt350 a little less as time goes by. Not sure which to Keep but have to admit I'm leaning more to the zl1 as time goes by, it just feels so good.
catdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:06 AM   #24
JustinOpinion

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
He got most of his facts wrong at the beginning of the video. Farah is a known Camaro hater but he tried to pretend to be impressed with it.
Yeah, he is a Mustang fanboy. But he has made some good previous comments about the ZL1. I do think he focused more on the negative and less on the positive in this video, though even he couldn't help the occasional giggle when he gave it some throttle.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:35 AM   #25
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Car looks great in silver. Saw what I needed to see which was the ride over some minor humps. Luv the look of the car, wheels and stance (minus the wing) but the 1LE is too much weapon for my daily road travels. Congrats to Chevy for making such a product available. Getting pretty picky when you have to complain about the seats needing to be held forward for rear access.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:45 AM   #26
Jmueller

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
Car looks great in silver. Saw what I needed to see which was the ride over some minor humps. Luv the look of the car, wheels and stance (minus the wing) but the 1LE is too much weapon for my daily road travels. Congrats to Chevy for making such a product available. Getting pretty picky when you have to complain about the seats needing to be held forward for rear access.
While I have not had it long, my standard ZL1 (it feels kinda strange calling it standard) has the perfect blend of stiffness and comfort regarding the suspension. I have a few spots where the roads I daily drive are rough, and the ZL1 has handled the bumps perfectly. I can confirm that the ZL1 makes a great highway missile. I agree that the 1LE would be too uncomfortable for my daily commute.
Jmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:54 AM   #27
kingbambino22

Drives: 2023Porsche Cayenne S
Quote:
Strange that it got taken down... anyways, was nothing special really as ninetres said.

Overall he liked the car, said it was fast with tons of grip and handles and mentioned the goodyear f1 3r's were really great on track (not so much in the rain)..
One thing i found interesting is he mentioned that at 75 mph in 6th gear, engine is at 3500 rpm, right in the heart of the torque curve so power is available literally in every gear effortlessly.

His gripes were it felt a little big/ tougher than gt350r to place on the track (probably something you get used to), the clutch engagement out of 1st gear takes some getting used to, and the typical camaro visibility.

I think he preferred the gt350r, just personal preference thing (high rev N/A). But he had no doubt that the zl1 1le would be faster around a track

3500 rpm doesn't sound right. Here is a quote about the 6th gear ratio for the ZL1 1LE:

To further emphasize that point…the 6th gear in the manual transmission has been revised to better suit the car’s track focus. In the standard ZL1 manual it is a very tall obviously-for-fuel-economy gear. In the ZL1, it’s been swapped from a .536 : 1 to .675 : 1. With an unchanged axle ratio, what this means is that mathematically…the ZL1 1LE should be able to hit 200 mph in 6th gear, at 6500-6600 rpm, where the standard ZL1 manual could not. However, on the highway, the engine will be spinning at 2300 rpm at 70mph (compared to 1800 in the standard ZL1).

Here is the link from C6 for the quote

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487301

Chevy not that crazy to kill fuel mileage like that. Just saying
kingbambino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:33 AM   #28
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbambino22 View Post
3500 rpm doesn't sound right. Here is a quote about the 6th gear ratio for the ZL1 1LE:

To further emphasize that point…the 6th gear in the manual transmission has been revised to better suit the car’s track focus. In the standard ZL1 manual it is a very tall obviously-for-fuel-economy gear. In the ZL1, it’s been swapped from a .536 : 1 to .675 : 1. With an unchanged axle ratio, what this means is that mathematically…the ZL1 1LE should be able to hit 200 mph in 6th gear, at 6500-6600 rpm, where the standard ZL1 manual could not. However, on the highway, the engine will be spinning at 2300 rpm at 70mph (compared to 1800 in the standard ZL1).

Here is the link from C6 for the quote

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487301

Chevy not that crazy to kill fuel mileage like that. Just saying
3500 didn't sound right to me either. Maybe a mistake during his "one take"?
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote