Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-06-2016, 11:04 AM   #15
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
They are similar in a sense but very different. Aesthetically, it's different.. performance, it's different. I'm really surprise by the "Unresponsive" comment. The torque on the 6th Gen is insane.

Last edited by Richard0nee; 12-06-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:23 AM   #16
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
I test drove a '14 1SS 6spd and then a '17 1SS 6spd. No contest albeit the '14 was not an 1LE. The '17 felt way more beastly in power and handling.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #17
LSPowa

Drives: '18 Camaro ZL1
I currently have had my '14 1LE for almost 3 years. I test drove a 16 1ss around 3 months ago and it was night and day difference, and I could only imagine the 6th gen 1LE would be even a greater difference. Not sure how the OP wasn't impressed. I sure was.
LSPowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:48 AM   #18
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Feels underpowered? It's faster than your old 1LE (stock for stock) in every way. In most ways a half a second faster.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #19
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
I don't even know how to respond. ANYONE that has really driven both can see the difference in the two cars and it's really not even close.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #20
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
Sounds like op is realizing he's stuck with a depreciated car that's gonna be hard to get out of with the new 1LE on the marketplace - trying to convince himself that it's not that big of a difference
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:00 PM   #21
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatdamaged View Post
Sounds like op is realizing he's stuck with a depreciated car that's gonna be hard to get out of with the new 1LE on the marketplace - trying to convince himself that it's not that big of a difference
I don't think a 5th gen 1LE is a hard car to get out of. It's still a great car. Looks are subjective and I can see not caring for the looks of a 6th gen. Performance is not though. Unless something was wrong with that 6th gen, there's no way anyone would get out of it and think there wasn't a difference.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #22
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatdamaged View Post
I honestly think I've seen a lot of this with 5th gen owners (mainly 14-15 owners). They have only had their cars for a few years and if they bought them new most likely owe more than the car is worth thanks to depreciation in connection with the new generation releasing. So it seems to me that most of the hate towards the 6th gen by 5th gen owners is really just because they wouldn't be able to afford a trade up.

I hope that's not what warranted OP's thoughts on the new 1LE but it sure seems that way....
Old 12-06-2016, 02:21 PM   #23
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I honestly think I've seen a lot of this with 5th gen owners (mainly 14-15 owners). They have only had their cars for a few years and if they bought them new most likely owe more than the car is worth thanks to depreciation in connection with the new generation releasing. So it seems to me that most of the hate towards the 6th gen by 5th gen owners is really just because they wouldn't be able to afford a trade up.

I hope that's not what warranted OP's thoughts on the new 1LE but it sure seems that way....
Yeah, who knows - I was lucky enough to sell my 2010 and not be upside down, which then allowed for me to get my 2016 2SS. I was shocked at how much improved the 6th gen was when I first test drove one. I can also see that looks wise, it's always subjective and maybe some do just like the look of the 5th gen 1LE better. I had always said my 2010 5th gen was the best car I had ever owned, until I got my 6th gen! The looks and features of the new 1LE are fantastic, and if it had come out earlier, I probably would have gotten one.
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #24
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post

The 5th gen 1LE came late in the model cycle so they did not get much time with the good resale. On the flip side, if you were able to get a 5g during the 20% off it hasn't dropped that much. It looks like Chevrolet is trying to reduce the end of year blowouts on the 2017, so they are lowering production by dropping a shift at the plant and laying off workers.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #25
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
I don't even know how to respond. ANYONE that has really driven both can see the difference in the two cars and it's really not even close.
I agree. I am looking at getting a 17 1LE SS. As an owner various cars of different speeds (9.0-9.1's, 11.0-11.2's, and high 13's), there is only so much fun you can have on the street, especially with rear drive vs. AWD.

The old saying along the lines of "more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" has grown more credible to me over the years. As someone pushing middle age who has raced cars from the low 7-second range and up, there is a limit to any sort of practicality and safety.

My fast cars are manuals, but, if an A10 ZL1 was here and debugged, that's what I would probably get. For the time being, I'll save $20K, and have fun on the autocross and road courses. Have not done that in 30+years except for once each earlier this year. Reminded me how much fun those activities are, plus, you then have a lot less expensive car to bang up and a lot cheaper car to fix than Corvettes, Porsches, etc. - with a warranty if you can live with the stock power.

If I feel the power is "inadequate", I am fortunate enough to be able fix that either through mods or another purchase. Yes, the 1LE SS feels "slow" when compared to some cars, but, it's all relative. Within a few seconds, even my wife's V6 convertible is capable of faster than legal speeds.

For you young guys, you don't realize how good you have it.

Back in late 1982, I had money from two after school jobs and generous parents for my first car: a dealer demo 1982 Camaro Z28 with all of its 145-hp glory. I wanted a 1983 with the "H.O. 5.0" with 190-hp, but, it was too much money over the left over 1982 demo with the base motor (Cross-Fire TBI was optional with 20-hp more).

It ran the quarter in 17.5 seconds at 80 mph! Got 16mpg with easy driving, and topped out at 115mph according to Road and Track. I remember doing some mods and was happy when I got it in the 16.9's then was crazy happy when I got it to run 15.9's with more and more mods. Nevertheless, I sure had fun in that car back in early to mid 80's. My '82 even handled and braked well - for then. No comparison at all now. It had AM radio, roll up windows, manual door locks, no cruise, etc.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...rd-mustang-gt/

Last edited by RUQWIKR; 12-06-2016 at 02:37 PM.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #26
Iron Oak
Club Motorsports Track Op

Drives: STI, Land Rover and future 1LE
To the OP. No offense but I take your "review" with large amounts of salt. How long was the test drive. How were you able to drive it? (Aggressive, mild mannered) what's your driving background? Any track experience? Or is this for street use only? Most test drives are no where near adequate to determine a cars characteristics. And considering the limited availability of the 1LE right now, you're not likely to get the proper test drive needed to assess those attributes.

There is nothing wrong with the 5th gen 1LE. It is a great vehicle. But no need to bash on the "performance" of the new 1LE when you didn't really have the opportunity to fully experience what it has to offer.
Iron Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:02 PM   #27
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Drives: 1Lap1LE | EV6 FE | DenaliHD | E92M3
I feel like this thread was made because the thread starter was unhappy with the deal he was offered on his trade or the deal in general.
'22 Kia EV6 First Edition
'12 E93 M3
'25 911 (ordered)

Formers...
'18 RS3 (1 of 2) Cumulus Blue | '19 RS5 Sportback Sonoma Green | '07 Cayman S 6MT | '16 Audi S3 Prestige Viper Green (APR Stage 3+) | '19 Mustang Shelby GT350R | '17 SS 1LE MBM 575whp all-motor
RideZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:27 AM   #28
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideZX6R View Post
I feel like this thread was made because the thread starter was unhappy with the deal he was offered on his trade or the deal in general.

Not to mention the thread was a 'hit and run'.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote