Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #15
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Another thing about converters is what's called Shift Extension. What this is, is the difference, in RPM, from the shift point drop from one gear to the next. For example - my 4L60E would shift from about 6200 in first, all the way down to 3800 or-so into second. With the SS3800, the shift extension allowed the RPMs to never drop, during and after shifts, below 5300-5400 RPMs. What that means is I'm right at the heart of my power peak. Your guys 6L80s wouldn't have a drop like that because your gears aren't as spread-out as a 4L60, but that shift extension is keeping the RPMs constantly in the meat of the powerband. You have to tune the converter to know where in your powerband is optimal, but the converter company can help you with that. To give an idea on improvement, my brother was running 13.1s @ 108 with his '02 with a lid, catback, canned tune, and good tires. He would stall to about 1700 on the OEM 'verter and would jump out of the hole with no tirespin and could pull 1.9s. With the only two changes being 3.73s and an SS4000, he was running consistant 12.4s on DRs (okay- three changes). He could pull 1.6s and was around 109-'ish or so through the traps. His shift extension was pretty much like mine.

High stall converters are simply the best mods' for an auto' car, almost before anything else. You spend $800 on a good billet converter with high efficiency and will drop a half-second with good tires - easy. If I were to get another slushbox, it'd be getting a converter before headers, hands-down. Tuning will be a must, but a big stall just feels good

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #16
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I understand how a converter helps at the 1/4 mile track, but how would it affect the upshifts/downshifts on a road course?
Also, how do you know what a new converters shift extension is? Is a lower STR better?

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.

Last edited by toehead93; 07-27-2009 at 05:49 PM.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #17
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
At the track a stall will help keep you in the power band more often. Think of it as holding the clutch pedal down until you hit 3000rpm and then engaging it. You motor will rev to desired rpms quicker and wont go to as low of rpms on upshifts.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #18
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Buick Enclave/Corvette/2010 Camaro
dancing the turns on a road course with a converter??

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Another thing about converters is what's called Shift Extension. What this is, is the difference, in RPM, from the shift point drop from one gear to the next. For example - my 4L60E would shift from about 6200 in first, all the way down to 3800 or-so into second. With the SS3800, the shift extension allowed the RPMs to never drop, during and after shifts, below 5300-5400 RPMs. What that means is I'm right at the heart of my power peak. Your guys 6L80s wouldn't have a drop like that because your gears aren't as spread-out as a 4L60, but that shift extension is keeping the RPMs constantly in the meat of the powerband. You have to tune the converter to know where in your powerband is optimal, but the converter company can help you with that. To give an idea on improvement, my brother was running 13.1s @ 108 with his '02 with a lid, catback, canned tune, and good tires. He would stall to about 1700 on the OEM 'verter and would jump out of the hole with no tirespin and could pull 1.9s. With the only two changes being 3.73s and an SS4000, he was running consistant 12.4s on DRs (okay- three changes). He could pull 1.6s and was around 109-'ish or so through the traps. His shift extension was pretty much like mine.

High stall converters are simply the best mods' for an auto' car, almost before anything else. You spend $800 on a good billet converter with high efficiency and will drop a half-second with good tires - easy. If I were to get another slushbox, it'd be getting a converter before headers, hands-down. Tuning will be a must, but a big stall just feels good
All very good info.
I would like my car to be dual purpose, I want to drag race one weekend and road race the next (oops, I want to drive it to work on the weekdays, so that 3 purposes). Anyway should I leave the converter stock?
Dancing around a turn on a road course is an exercise in balance, and it seems easier when you can feel more of a direct connection of the engine to the wheels. I’m not sure how well a Yank 3200 would work in this application. Are there 2800 converters out there, and ones that you can run wide open locked when needed? Thoughts anyone?

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #19
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
also a stall in a camaro will need a large trans cooler and lots of tcm tuning,, the stock converter is designed to lock up under wot conditions and the aftermarket converters are not designed to lock at WOT, also the factory converters use pwm to lock up and from what everyone is saying the aftermarket stalls are not designed to use pcm lock up

i have more time in tuning the tcm/stall in my camaro than time tuning the new engine, i have a large b&m cooler with fan and have all wot lock up turned off and only have the converter locking in 5th and 6th at hwy speeds,

so far so good.
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #20
DanD

Drives: 6 camaros
the only disadvantage to the TC is the tune itself.. like said above.. Mine is even harder to tune with the 3600 over the 3200..

though if there was 1 (2 including the tune) thing that would gain you the most is the converter, and it should have 0 affect on engine warranty etc.. they could say tranny warranty... but you don't have to go into the engine tune so even that could stay untouched, "if you wanted".
1968 383 Camaro
1968 327 Camaro Convertible
1967 RS 327
1967 Pro-Tour LS3 in progress
DanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #21
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Doesn't the SS have a transcooler already? Is it not large enough?

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:50 PM   #22
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Doesn't the SS have a transcooler already? Is it not large enough?
it just has the factory cooler in the radiator,, a stall will add more heat so it is a good idea to install the largest cooler you can fit just to make sure the trans stays cool,, mine stays at least 30* cooler with the b&m cooler with built in 9" fan
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #23
radz28
Petro-sexual

I'd ALWAYS run at least ONE external tranny cooler with a bigger stall, let alone just a stock stall. I was running two 24K lb. B&M Supercoolers on my '02, and even after a run down the track, I could get it up to about 180*; never more than that though. It was said 200* was the max' temp' one should run so I just wanted to play it safe. Not a once, regardless of a 45 stop-and-go communute in +100* weather did I ever see it go over 180*. I also got rid of all the baffles in front of the condensor and the washer bottle so I could get as much cool air to the coolers.

IMHO - at least one of the biggest coolers you can install is playing it safe; two, for me, was piece of mind.

I think running a stalled car on a road course/autoX would probably be easier because just driving around in a spirited manor proved throttle control was a lot more smooth and forgiving. My brother LOVED driving his '02 with an SS4000 and 3.73s around the autoX. I hadn't driven on one myself, but I rode with him several times, and the car just went with whatever he wanted.

JMVHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 08-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #24
JoshJ81

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I think running a stalled car on a road course/autoX would probably be easier because just driving around in a spirited manor proved throttle control was a lot more smooth and forgiving. My brother LOVED driving his '02 with an SS4000 and 3.73s around the autoX. I hadn't driven on one myself, but I rode with him several times, and the car just went with whatever he wanted.

JMVHO.
Is it standard to install a bigger trans cooler no matter what your reason is? I too am interested in autoX and even getting down to a real road course.
JoshJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #25
radz28
Petro-sexual

I think that most enthusiasts will say "YES", however, I'm sure a technician at a dealership may not agree. I'd put an external cooler on any of my cars that were even close to performance, or where I'd be driving aggressively. For Camaro, I'd definately say yes to installing one. If you're going to be autoX'ing or running down a road course, I'd find two of the biggest ones you can and run those. If you're going to run with the converter unlocked, you're going to be running really warm/hot. I'd make sure those coolers have adequate air flow and even consider running fans on them too. I completely gutted the area in front of my condensor and bought another washer reservoir and mounted it under the driver's side front headlight so there would be NOTHING in front of my tranny coolers. There was a direct shot of air from off the deflector under the radiator support onto the coolers, and I even drilled out the existing holes in the OEM bumper absorber so air could be directed at the coolers. It worked well enough that when the car was parked, and the fans were running, I could feel air flow through those holes and go right across both coolers. Anyhow - my point is run at least one cooler

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 08-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #26
lexlueger

Drives: V10 BMW M5, Supercharged 2SS/RS
I have a mast stage 1 kit installed on my L99. Would a 2800 stall still work if your car is cammed? I plan to add a supercharger at the end of the year . Should I go with a 3200?
IW 8 RIB PULLEY W/ OD COG REARS
NX EXPRESS/NANO KIT

KDI HEAT EXCHANGER/ROTOFAB RESERVOIR
CIRCLE D 2800 TC/FLEX PLATE/ADM TRANS COOLER
DSS DRIVESHAFT/1400 HP AXLES
EATON TRUETRAC -LPE 3.27 GEARS
DYNATECH HEADERS/MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST
SQUASH RETURN STYLE FS ID 850's E85/ FLEXFUEL
BMR/EIBACH SUSPENSION

KILL MODE, ON.

lexlueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #27
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
FYI, with the new Pro Torque / Jannetty cooler you don't need a cooler or and tuning. The temps remained the same as stock on a 5 hr ride, is stop and go traffic, in 100+ degree temps without a converter. And all Ted did was swap out converters in my car and sent me on my way. I was hesitant on doing this bc of the heat that they generate but it worked out great.

And depends what kind of S/C you are getting. With a PD blower I run a 2600 stall. A cent can go a bit higher.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:29 PM   #28
lexlueger

Drives: V10 BMW M5, Supercharged 2SS/RS
It will be a PD blower . If I read correctly the 2800 is a go.

Thanks for the imput.
IW 8 RIB PULLEY W/ OD COG REARS
NX EXPRESS/NANO KIT

KDI HEAT EXCHANGER/ROTOFAB RESERVOIR
CIRCLE D 2800 TC/FLEX PLATE/ADM TRANS COOLER
DSS DRIVESHAFT/1400 HP AXLES
EATON TRUETRAC -LPE 3.27 GEARS
DYNATECH HEADERS/MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST
SQUASH RETURN STYLE FS ID 850's E85/ FLEXFUEL
BMR/EIBACH SUSPENSION

KILL MODE, ON.

lexlueger is offline   Reply With Quote