Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-08-2021, 09:28 AM   #15
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
I haven’t done much research on upgrading the fuel system on these zl1s but that shouldn’t affect smog at all I’d assume. And is it an expensive upgrade if i go magnuson and e85?
You can't go E' at all with a Maggie or Edelbrock and stay legal. There are fueling options (like port) available for both, but both of those are visual, so you'll be exposed to a visual violation there. You could go with a cam with a bigger fuel lobe, but that runs the risk of it sounding like it's altered if it chops much. A bigger lobe would extend your fueling but and you'd probably be okay with the stock pulleys that come on the CARB-kits for those blowers to run E'. You'd probably still have to upgrade the low-side, and again, if an inspector looks under the car, and sees an aftermarket fuel tank tap for the aux' fuel system, that could be a visual violation.

If you really don't want to have to worry about getting busted, really, these blowers are as much as you can hope for. I think there are some sneaky-Pete-type mods' you can do to help optimize what's there, and not bring too much attention until smog-time, but that's a risk, too. I've been busted for LTs and no cats' from CHP a couple times. It's just a PITA and, for me, not worth it anymore. I'm not going to spend an entire day pulling that crap off the car and reinstall it for 20-horses anymore. It pisses me off that I have to pull off a catch can with HELPS emissions, but isn't CARB-legal, so if I do anything outside of my Maggie, it won't be too much that won't take me but an hour to take care of at any give time.

The best advice is to leave, but since you're staying, that advice isn't helpful. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those blowers. Edelbrock has an advantage right now of HAVING a CARB-number; Magnuson is still waiting for theirs (COVID). You have to cut part of your hood for the Edelbrock (it's not that big a deal for some. I don't have data to compare the two, but I think Magnuson might have a slight advantage on better IATs (MATs), but I'm not convinced it amounts to much until you start making real power. At the levels I'm talking about in my comments here, you're not even making these 2650s work.

Again - if you want the most power, and stay CA-legal, I don't know of a better way. I wouldn't say it's the cheapest at all, but I think it will give you the most power. I don't think a ported stock blower will yield more power until you put a pulley on it, and we circle back to failing a visual, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Best advice in this thread.
Completely true, but not that helpful in this context, hahaha.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:46 AM   #16
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1 View Post
Not sure if you mean drag or road course…but on a road course its a driver’s race, and somewhat dependent on the track. Go to a technical track and ZL1 already has a clear advantage based on weight alone. A bigger track with more straights would be closer…but again…a driver’s race. Ive been on track with them, they don't appear as agile/nimble as a ZLE.

Short version; Mods to beat a GT500 on track: more seat time, more coaching.
this right here.

if you throw a GYSC3R on your car, he is gonna be really pissed.

seat time and sticky tires...you will have him rethinking his purchase.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:38 AM   #17
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
this right here.

if you throw a GYSC3R on your car, he is gonna be really pissed.

seat time and sticky tires...you will have him rethinking his purchase.
Same can be said for the GT500, seat time and sticky tires would make them pull ahead again. Its hard to overcome that extra 110hp, even with the weight advantage that the ZL1 has. The GT500 doesn't play around, its a complete vehicle, not just a one trick pony. Its not all that difficult to build a ZL1 to outrun one in every way but keeping it carb legal is going to be next to impossible. Being carb legal really makes it difficult to do much of anything other than leaving the vehicle stock.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:52 AM   #18
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Same can be said for the GT500, seat time and sticky tires would make them pull ahead again. Its hard to overcome that extra 110hp, even with the weight advantage that the ZL1 has. The GT500 doesn't play around, its a complete vehicle, not just a one trick pony. Its not all that difficult to build a ZL1 to outrun one in every way but keeping it carb legal is going to be next to impossible. Being carb legal really makes it difficult to do much of anything other than leaving the vehicle stock.
put sticky tires on both and to me it's still a driver's race. but i do get the mod argument.

the straightaway is only one portion of the track though. adding extra power to either car without much seat time isn't going to help much at all on a road course.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:53 AM   #19
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Best advice in this thread.
Or just enjoy your car, invest your $ instead of throwing it away on whose dick is bigger contest.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:54 AM   #20
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
Or just enjoy your car, invest your $ instead of throwing it away on whose dick is bigger contest.
Some just demand more from their current platform. I can understand that, I am one of them.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:50 PM   #21
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
What a BS video.
1. The Challenger is a boat, a fat pig.
2. ZLE has a ride like Harley Hardtail and aero built for a road course.
3. The Mustang had $ 20k in upgrades over the ZLE.....

I got a ZL1 because I want power and good ride...and I would slit my wrist b4 driving a F-O-R-D.....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:52 PM   #22
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
What a BS video.
1. The Challenger is a boat, a fat pig.
2. ZLE has a ride like Harley Hardtail and aero built for a road course.
3. The Mustang had $ 20k in upgrades over the ZLE.....

I got a ZL1 because I want power and good ride...and I would slit my wrist b4 driving a F-O-R-D.....
There's many that would say the same about Chevy. Its a stupid mentality. I'm not brand loyal, I just like whatever car meets my wants and needs.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:44 PM   #23
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Great discussion here everyone, i enjoy my car every time i drive it, was just curious what (if any) modifications could be done to keep up specifically on the straights.....I don't have a 1le and haven't done much research on the GYSC3R tires but do they make them for the standard non 1le rims?
Old 07-08-2021, 01:59 PM   #24
FoundNemo

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Good thing we dont drive Snack Packs and Kittens. Boats stay in the water.
FoundNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:02 PM   #25
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundNemo View Post
Good thing we dont drive Snack Packs and Kittens. Boats stay in the water.
Them boats would burn your ass though in a straight line.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:57 PM   #26
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
You can find tires pretty much as good for your stock wheels, too.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:34 PM   #27
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
From a numbers POV they make approx 705-ish RWHP to our approx 550-ish RWHP. However they are a bit heavier. A lot of them are modded so you have to be careful. If you're aiming at them then I would suggest going with a full build including cam, ported heads, LTs, and blower swap. Because trust me, if you come across one with mods, you're gonna need at least that much to keep up with them. And you also have to contend with modded REs out there too so don't forget about them.

Considering all the competition out there I personally decided to go with a full build. My car just got shipped out yesterday and should be ready in a few weeks hopefully!! Shooting for 800+ to the wheels. Even then I still don't think that will be enough up against some of the highly modded monsters out there.
I think 705 rwhp Predators are ringers or hero dyno runs. I've seen 645 rwhp SAE on M6G for a '20 GT500. The other chart I saw there was 681 rwhp SAE (assuming 12% drivetrain loss = 774 crank hp, 13% loss would be 783 crank hp). Other people "say" high 600s rwhp average, but don't provide charts to prove it.

On the flip side, I've also seen ZL1s into the 570s SAE. I've seen 575 rwhp on a stock ZL1 as well.

I think it's safe to say the LT4 is not underrated at 650 crank hp since it's SAE certified. Ford says the Predator makes 760 hp in accordance with the SAE standard, but I don't think it's certified, so it could be slightly underrated at 760 hp.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:57 PM   #28
SlowShelby

Drives: Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
Move from California
That is why we have a boom in property prices. Come to Texas......if you are conservative....lol
SlowShelby is offline   Reply With Quote