Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-07-2016, 07:19 AM   #15
Neil350

Drives: Nike Air Max
You're not the first person to have issues with the TR6060 in the Gen 6 Camaro which is surprising considering how well it's held up in other cars. Tremec in general has made some moves to where the trans becomes a complete replacement unit versus serviceable, so not some thing you can really buy parts for like you could in the past with the T-56. T-56 guys have had this issue for a little while to where certain rebuild parts are getting fairly difficult to find as Tremec isn't putting replacement parts out on the market. They really want you to just buy a new transmission.
Neil350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #16
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperBlue View Post
Sorry to hear about your transmission, but I'm fascinated that you got through to the CEO of GM. I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't know GM had a woman CEO, and she's been in that position since 2014.

Here she is cruising Woodward ave in a classic Camaro.
She's an awesome lady.

I had the pleasure meet with her and talk a bit at the New York International Auto Show when they unveiled the Gen 5 Z/28. It wasn't one-on-one, but our group catted about the company, and her vision for the future of GM, as well as her favorite cars.

This was before she was CEO...but at that point, I think the writing was on the wall. She expressed cost-savings tactics that won't affect quality, like using the same HVAC blower in all cars of a given size...regardless if it's a Cadillac, Buick, or Chevy...nobody sees the guts of the dash. And she loves the company's Camaros and Corvettes. She's just as excited about performance cars as she is electric cars. She was very articulate, level-headed, and warm-spirited (at least with us).

If I recall correctly...she wanted, or had (I forget), a Firebird as her very first car when she turned 16.

Ah, but I derailed.....back to your regularly scheduled programming!!
Old 12-07-2016, 02:39 PM   #17
Booley56

Drives: 2017 Camaro 50th Aniversary edition
Angry

Buyer beware. GM has changed the part number for the 6 speed manual transmissions for the 2 ss. GM currently cannot provide a replacement transmission which leads me to believe that these transmissions have a significant problem. If you are looking to buy, be careful. If you own one, I would contact my dealer immediately. If your fails there are none available for replacement and you will be left with my situation.
Booley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #18
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
She's an awesome lady.

I had the pleasure meet with her and talk a bit at the New York International Auto Show when they unveiled the Gen 5 Z/28. It wasn't one-on-one, but our group chatted about the company, and her vision for the future of GM, as well as her favorite cars.

This was before she was CEO...but at that point, I think the writing was on the wall. She expressed cost-savings tactics that won't affect quality, like using the same HVAC blower in all cars of a given size...regardless if it's a Cadillac, Buick, or Chevy...nobody sees the guts of the dash. And she loves the company's Camaros and Corvettes. She's just as excited about performance cars as she is electric cars. She was very articulate, level-headed, and warm-spirited (at least with us).

If I recall correctly...she wanted, or had (I forget), a Firebird as her very first car when she turned 16.

Ah, but I derailed.....back to your regularly scheduled programming!!
That's nice. We tend to think of people in those positions as out of touch, or just out of touch with the everyday average Joe. She sounds very much in touch. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #19
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booley56 View Post
Buyer beware. GM has changed the part number for the 6 speed manual transmissions for the 2 ss. GM currently cannot provide a replacement transmission which leads me to believe that these transmissions have a significant problem. If you are looking to buy, be careful. If you own one, I would contact my dealer immediately. If your fails there are none available for replacement and you will be left with my situation.
These transmissions are in many cars, and have been around for like two decades in various forms. They are very good units. You got a bad one, it happens with manufacturing, simple as that. As far as I can remember you are like the first one on here to have a M6 transmission failure...
Old 12-07-2016, 03:36 PM   #20
2K16SummitSS
Resident Land Surveyor

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS - Summit White M6
I've been beating on this TR6060 for 11,000 miles with no issues. Me thinks SS 1LE is right. Sorry you are having so much trouble with yours. I just had to have 2 injectors replaced this week due to cold start issues, but again, I think it was an isolated incident there as well. No part is going to be perfect every time. I probably got a bad batch of injectors from the sweat shop, and I'll bet someone was having a bad day at the Tremec factory in Mexico when yours was assembled
2001 NBM Trans Am WS6, Wifey's Grocery Getter - Torquer V2 cam, Racetronix Fuel Pump, Yank 3000 Stall, Transgo 1-2 kit, TSP LTs, Magnaflow, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTIIs, Ed Wright tuned
2K16SummitSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #21
Booley56

Been a loyal GM guy

I know these forums get can get nasty. Between personal and company use I have owned close to 50 GM products. My wife's last car was a 2011 2ss with the manual, drove it 100,000 trouble free miles. Not trying to trash the Camaro or the TR6060. There is a problem and GM does not have any replacement transmissions nor will they identify the problem. The dealer is not informed only given a new part number which indicates a change in the part. Use this info or ignore it.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:16 PM   #22
Booley56

Another thought

If this is isolated, then why no spare parts and no date when they will be available.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:20 PM   #23
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Sorry to hear about your troubles! Totally blows but I'm sure GM will eventually make it right. I've had my M6 for over 7 months now and it shifts perfectly. In the beginning there was some slight drivetrain chatter which is normal with the TR6060 and now it's almost as quiet as a mouse.

Keep us updated.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:03 PM   #24
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booley56 View Post
I know these forums get can get nasty. Between personal and company use I have owned close to 50 GM products. My wife's last car was a 2011 2ss with the manual, drove it 100,000 trouble free miles. Not trying to trash the Camaro or the TR6060. There is a problem and GM does not have any replacement transmissions nor will they identify the problem. The dealer is not informed only given a new part number which indicates a change in the part. Use this info or ignore it.
1- Your 2011 had the same transmission.

2- A part number change doesn't mean much of anything. A change could have been made to the shipping crate, a different supplier or distributor could be used, etc, etc...that all means a part number swap.

3- TR-6060's have always been in short supply, one of the reasons Ford has to use the POS MT-82.

4- You having an issue, doesn't mean every transmission has an issue. Just look around here, TR-6060 issues are rare...

I feel for you, and I'd be pissed too. But it's an isolated issue if you ask me.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:12 PM   #25
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
I've been a Chevy guy for over 35 years, over 30 new purchased, my 6th Gen has me looking elsewhere, 45 days in for warranty work so far, and the repairs well lets just say they are substandard. I have spent about $500.00 in small parts as I am now done dealer warranty repairs. Chevy customer service is useless, dealers are worthless, no more Chevy for me, took advantage of black Friday and traded the Silverado, didn't get a chevy. Will be trading or selling the Vette and the 6th Gen within the next 12 months, wont be replacing them with new chevys either. I am keeping my 10 5th Gen as its one of the best cars I have ever owned, the rest are Gone! The new MB C63 coupe sure does look good.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:04 PM   #26
Booley56

Angry

Ok I did my part. Good luck and hope no one else has any issues. GM will buy back the car and I will have to decide to order another one and wait several months or do something else. Whether there is a bigger problem with the transmissions or not, the simple fact that GM does not stock spare parts is an unacceptable company policy. And if this problem is rare then not having a replacement part and not even being able to give an ETA when one is available is beyond ridiculous. Going on six weeks trying to get a car fixed that we only drove for 3 weeks cannot be justified. GM has failed a loyal customer of close to 40 years. Defend that!!!!
Old 12-08-2016, 05:13 AM   #27
HannibalRed

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil350 View Post
You're not the first person to have issues with the TR6060 in the Gen 6 Camaro which is surprising considering how well it's held up in other cars. Tremec in general has made some moves to where the trans becomes a complete replacement unit versus serviceable, so not some thing you can really buy parts for like you could in the past with the T-56. T-56 guys have had this issue for a little while to where certain rebuild parts are getting fairly difficult to find as Tremec isn't putting replacement parts out on the market. They really want you to just buy a new transmission.
They opened mine up and fixed the second gear synchro...
Old 12-08-2016, 06:51 AM   #28
zapatista

Drives: BMW 128i w/serious Bowtie Lust
Wow, it obviously sucks that you can't use the vehicle. GM will buy back it back and you don't have to go through the PITA lemon law process, so take your money and go buy a 50th anniversary Mustang. No manufacturer can afford to have ~99.99999% factory tolerances for defects/faults. Thanks for reporting the issue .
zapatista is offline   Reply With Quote