Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-24-2017, 07:03 PM   #15
TybeeSS

Drives: 2017 2SS Auto
I have been through this and with Geico nonetheless. You have the right to use any shop you wish but the insurance company has the right to decline a repair if they feel it's unwarranted or above costs their estimator determines. If that happens, you are stuck paying for your own estimate and then the insurance company will have an arbitrator make the final call.
I would tell Geico you are disatisfied and have lost faith in the body shops ability to fix it. You want to relocate the car to a qualified shop. They will probably fight you on it but your car must be repaired correctly. From there, I would call some Porsche, Lexus or Audi dealerships and ask them who fixes their cars (most dealers don't fix cars onsite). Go to the one that a couple dealers agree is best. Make sure you drive your car over to the new shop or watch them load it on a tow truck and follow it over to the new place. I don't trust body shops that are called out for poor repairs. You never know what could happen to your car once you pull it from them. Good luck!
TybeeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #16
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Jingaling- Sorry your dealing with this situation. I agree with others here. If your not satisfied and the body shop can't get their act together, then request to have another shop replace that panel as it should have been done in the first place. You have every right to do so.
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:16 AM   #17
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfg2ss View Post
The body line issue is pretty evident in the second repair pic. Not only is the edge too rounded, the line isn't even straight! As for the trunk gap issue, does that shop have a frame machine? Because damage right on the corner like that usually knocks the frame out of whack and it'll need a little straightening.

Honestly, the quarter should have been replaced, not repaired, not on such a new vehicle. The fact that the shop went along with what the insurance adjuster suggested is why they are a "prefered" shop with your insurance, they do what they're told, not necessarily what should be done.

We are not a "prefered" shop for just that reason, if we think it needs new parts and not just a repair, we'll fight with the insurance company. 99% of the time they cave pretty quick. Customer satisfaction, not staying on the insurance companies good sides, should be every shops first priority.
this.one of the major insurance companies tried to do the filler thing to a classic nova at my friends restoration center.my friend reamed the adjuster a new one,informed him he had been in the buisness 30 years and would not screw a customer like that.end result was a new quarter panel and an embarassed adjuster.i mean he really let him have,didnt know he could be such a hard ass...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:28 AM   #18
jingaling

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT V6 MT
Thanks everyone for your input. I should have went with my gut feeling and pushed for that replacement. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on how things turn out.
jingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:45 AM   #19
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
Yea, this sucks. in the grand scheme of things it is only a dented car, so not that big a deal. But it still sucks.

I had something similar on the passenger rear quarter panel. Not as bad as yours, but in a Safeway parking lot some asshat banged into it & of course left without leaving any information and thee were no witnesses. My insurance company was great and the body show my Chevy dealer sent my to also was good. Took them about 10 days also. I can't see anything wrong with mine now.

Edit: I added before & after photos
Attached Images

Last edited by BrianL; 10-23-2017 at 04:55 PM.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:49 AM   #20
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I'm sure they get the snooty BMW and Mercedes crowd who are worse than us.\
Hey, I resemble that remark!
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:04 AM   #21
jingaling

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT V6 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Yea, this sucks. in the grand scheme of things it is only a dented car, so not that big a deal. But it still sucks.

I had something similar on the passenger rear quarter panel. Not as needed pop as yours, but in a Safeway parking lot some asshat banged into it & of course left without leaving any information and thee were no witnesses. My insurance company was great and the body show my Chevy dealer sent my to also was good. Took them about 10 days also. I can't see anything wrong with mine now.
Yeah that sucks. How did they go about repairing yours?
jingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #22
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
What ended up happening OP? Im going through the same issue with the rounded body line, I knew I shoulda pushed for the replacement

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #23
Gunsmokez

Drives: 1LE
Replacement ain't always the best idea as well. Think about it, if they can not do filler work properly, do you really want them to cut and weld a new quarter panel on?

You also open up a whole new can of worms with a new clip, reason is You can get more rust and you STILL need to do filler work where they cut the clip and weld it back on to car.

Also, just another thing to know. Since this is already repaired, the paint is soft and probably has not fully cured. So, say you get them to redo the filler work. Now they gotta grind it down again. And repair will be bigger since they have to put MORE filler over the existing one and then re pain over it again. Which means more coats of paint. Then you can get problems with paint at that point, since too many coats.
Gunsmokez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:18 PM   #24
Streetsweepergto

Drives: CTSV
im an appraiser for a large insurance company, i deal with this stuff pretty regularly.
repairing that quarter was definitely the most cost effective approach. I'm willing to bet that gm sells the quarter as a uniside and not as a separate panel. so its an expensive part to start with. this is just an assumption based on what i typically see with gm vehicles.

i would see if geico has warranties on the preferred repair shop's work.
typically this is one of the selling points with this type of service.
if they do, then i would suggest meeting with the appraiser and show him why you feel the repair is not back to its pre loss condition.
keep your cool, this need to be a discussion with legitimate points of concern.

if they don't have any warranties or don't stand behind the shops work, you sol. its up to the shop to make it right.
manufactures are making some of these panels thinner, and with tighter body lines these days for cafe standards.so repair work really need to be spot on prior to paint.

good luck, sucks to see people in this situation.
Streetsweepergto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:49 PM   #25
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Yep, the factory builds the car with the entire side as one piece. So replacing it as a single factory piece would be expensive.

Ref: How It's Made Dream Cars on Science Channel. Play it at 1.25x or 1.5x speed.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:17 PM   #26
Jeanius

They said they cut right above the quarter panel glass and along the door sill/rear glass. But im looking at another 2 weeks, and the adjustor didnt even call me back. Maybe im being too picky? Heres the pics, kinda hard to tell as the sunlight is hiding it

Old 10-12-2017, 10:58 PM   #27
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Geico preferred shop = cheapest they can find...

Also, like folks above said, replacing that quarter panel isn't easy. There's a weld somewhere in the C-pillar as well as in the door jamb. They definitely don't want to do that. Plus, if they did, that could be crap also and then rust out sooner rather than later. Ugh, what a mess.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:57 PM   #28
Jeanius

So what would you do in my situation? Accept it like that or replace the panel?

The shop is not a Geico preferred, and was recommended by every dealer in the city, and the closest Mercedez benz a couple cities over