Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 05-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #239
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
First 5th gen I drove more than a test drive was a 14 V6 vert rental. Fun little car. When I got home I bought an SS. I could see buying a V6 for a daily driver, after all they still look great. I just didn't feel it had much more get up and go than any other 3.6L GM vehicle I had driven to that point. It's not slow when compared to my 1.5L Turbo Malibu, but it's not quick like my SS was. The torque difference is just nice to have.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #240
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
It's not slow when compared to my 1.5L Turbo Malibu
When I got rear-ended and had a 1.5t Malibu as a rental, I completely forgot what it was like to actually drive a slow car again. It was miserable putting my foot down on the highway to pass someone and the car going nowhere.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #241
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
When I got rear-ended and had a 1.5t Malibu as a rental, I completely forgot what it was like to actually drive a slow car again. It was miserable putting my foot down on the highway to pass someone and the car going nowhere.
This sadly describes my 04 Monte LS (3.4L) as well. Still love that car though as a cruiser and keeps my son from getting into too much trouble since he drives it mostly. I won’t mention your supercharged one to him!
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #242
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
One tip I've found after having two 1.4L turbo Cruzes and one 1.5L turbo Malibu is that they like minor throttle input. If you need to go anywhere fast, 1/4-1/2 throttle is best. It allows the boost to build just a bit quicker and takes off, then you can roll into wot. It's still not fast by any stretch, but it is significantly quicker.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:35 PM   #243
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
275's with no tire spin but snaps your head back on the street, but had a 55 chev that burnt rubber in 3rd and was slow.......I'm lost. If you got the 55 to hook up wouldn't it have been much faster. I know I can't hook up for shit on the street and I have 305's. Seems to me that if you Tromp it on the street with all the power you have and the gearing shouldn't it spin the tires........
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:56 PM   #244
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
I drove an SS. It wasn't a night and day difference. I can do 23 mpg in the city all day long just driving normally. Maybe your V6 was all sludged up?

I think it's more impressive getting 323-335 hp out of 3.6L N/A V6 than it is with 400 hp out
of a big honkin 6.2L V8.

Whenever these discussions get heated, the SS guys swoop in like vultures and talk stupid stuff about the V6 Camaro. I don't see that happening on the Mustang or Challenger forums.

It's gotten so bad around here that the true knowledgable people who were trail blazing good power gains out of these engines have moved on to other forms of social media like the Facebook group pages. That's a wealth of good information that is now missing from these forums.
Totally agree about the Mustang and Challenger forums. I've only been in them a few times but always seem like they are there to help. Not much drama or ragging on others just car people helping car people. Been in the HP tuner forum as well and those people can be down right brutal, reminds me of somewhere!
However sometimes think certain people can bring it on themselves as well
Old 05-09-2019, 09:01 PM   #245
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper85 View Post
275's with no tire spin but snaps your head back on the street, but had a 55 chev that burnt rubber in 3rd and was slow.......I'm lost. If you got the 55 to hook up wouldn't it have been much faster. I know I can't hook up for shit on the street and I have 305's. Seems to me that if you Tromp it on the street with all the power you have and the gearing shouldn't it spin the tires........
You will never understand so why bother harping on it. Back in those days the cars had something called torque LOTS OF IT but the cars weren't fast by todays standard. Today the cars hook and are gone. My 55 was useless unless you wanted to fry the tires in all 4 gears @100mph you were pushing the envelope and hoping you wouldn't die. My best friend had a 68 Camaro with a special High Performance 427. same deal. Till these cars got moving todays cars would be long gone up the road. Thats why you don't see boat anchor 454's and 427's cast iron engines, great for smokin tires to the moon and eating gas. But the gas was 40 cents............. and tires were cheap and we all thought we were fast. We were really terrified at what torque felt like and can do...fast noway.

If you seen the condition of the 275s on the back of my Camaro you wouldn't say they don't spin. They are beat up bad compared to the frt tires. The new Camaro are balanced right AND the independent rear susp forces the tires down from weight transfer in such a way it takes alot more to smoke um compared to older straight axle<smokearama designs.

Last edited by 152LTRockin; 05-09-2019 at 09:14 PM.
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:33 AM   #246
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
I'm sure he can beat my 60'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
You will never understand so why bother harping on it. Back in those days the cars had something called torque LOTS OF IT but the cars weren't fast by todays standard. Today the cars hook and are gone. My 55 was useless unless you wanted to fry the tires in all 4 gears @100mph you were pushing the envelope and hoping you wouldn't die. My best friend had a 68 Camaro with a special High Performance 427. same deal. Till these cars got moving todays cars would be long gone up the road. Thats why you don't see boat anchor 454's and 427's cast iron engines, great for smokin tires to the moon and eating gas. But the gas was 40 cents............. and tires were cheap and we all thought we were fast. We were really terrified at what torque felt like and can do...fast noway.

If you seen the condition of the 275s on the back of my Camaro you wouldn't say they don't spin. They are beat up bad compared to the frt tires. The new Camaro are balanced right AND the independent rear susp forces the tires down from weight transfer in such a way it takes alot more to smoke um compared to older straight axle<smokearama designs.
Your the one who said they don't spin........I'm going off of what you said. Tourque is what gets you off the line. So if your car is crazy fast 0-75 there needs to be alot of tourque. You can have a million HP but without torque you don't move.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:55 AM   #247
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Guess what I meant to say they don't go up in smoke easily because the car has great weight transfer. Honestly this car drives amazing, its not a big hp car but it is a very quick car. Very good balance between everything, I'd say the engineers got these v6 cars right.

By the way the LS6 in my 55 was so heavy it bent the engine cradle and frame over and over. Its one of the reasons I sold it, everything was just too heavy and slow. Put on a show and scare you slow if you get it?
Old 05-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #248
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper85 View Post
Your the one who said they don't spin........I'm going off of what you said. Tourque is what gets you off the line. So if your car is crazy fast 0-75 there needs to be alot of tourque. You can have a million HP but without torque you don't move.
Do you recognize this car from the Wed and Sat car meets in Barrie? Its my buddies 55 thats built with a 427. No v6 Camaro is close to this car. It sounds like the OP just had a old car with factory everything with a big motor. You won't feel or get the power down on stock 55 suspension. This car is a beast. You going to the Innisfil car show tomorrow?
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/attac...1&d=1557500796
Attached Images

rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:38 AM   #249
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Mine was bone stock with air shocks and the biggest tires you could buy for the street at the time. It was a FAT PIG ,too heavy in the front too light in the rear. I never had it weighed but the front cradle-frame was bent badly from all the weight of the engine. It was a blast though, you just can't imagine being able to fry the tires at just about any speed up to 60 by just standing on the throttle hard. One thing that was cool about the car is it stayed straight even while frying the tires. I had a lot of offers for that car once anyone drove it. I know this sounds completely crazy but I sold it for 1000 dollars in 1972. Can you imagine what that would be worth today?

I was sick of having the frame fixed and it started loosing power and using a lot of oil. The Mcleod clutch setup broke the dam linkage about 40 times, lots of constant bs with it. I broke the rear and axles a couple times. A lot of guys refused to race me when I started it up and they heard the engine, sounded healthy.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:12 PM   #250
PepeLePew

Drives: 2010 2SS Coupe; 2011 2LT Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
Mine was bone stock with air shocks and the biggest tires you could buy for the street at the time. It was a FAT PIG ,too heavy in the front too light in the rear. I never had it weighed but the front cradle-frame was bent badly from all the weight of the engine. It was a blast though, you just can't imagine being able to fry the tires at just about any speed up to 60 by just standing on the throttle hard. One thing that was cool about the car is it stayed straight even while frying the tires. I had a lot of offers for that car once anyone drove it. I know this sounds completely crazy but I sold it for 1000 dollars in 1972. Can you imagine what that would be worth today?

I was sick of having the frame fixed and it started loosing power and using a lot of oil. The Mcleod clutch setup broke the dam linkage about 40 times, lots of constant bs with it. I broke the rear and axles a couple times. A lot of guys refused to race me when I started it up and they heard the engine, sounded healthy.
Your credibility is truly lacking with the far-fetched stories you tell and no proof. This is yet another example. You’re saying you had a 55 Chevy with an LS6 that you sold in 1972 for $1,000. The LS6 debuted in 1970 and was only optioned on less than 4500 chevelles. There were no documented LS6s built in 1971 for the Chevelle but a few found there way into corvettes. As far as I can tell, Chevy never sold the LS6 as a crate motor either. So you must have found yours from a transplant vehicle in a junk yard. You must be confused and probably had the normal run of the mill 454 rated at 100 less HP which makes more sense since your car was so slow. The ls6 chevelle was documented to run a 13.4 second quarter mile on stock suspension and tires. That’s a fast car for something that heavy. And faster than you v6 Camaro today. So then you say you sold your collectible incredibly rare ls6 along with your 55 Chevy for $1000 in 1972. More nonsense. Even in the early 70s the shoebox was a collectible. Without the ls6, a decent bel air could go for $3000.

Keep telling your unicorn stories. I’ll start believing then when you show proof. Until then, enjoy your rocket ship factory freak v6.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:38 AM   #251
STALKER

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE
LSX Block, MAST 305 Black Labels, Exceldyne Valves, Diamond Pistons, Callies Crank & Rods, Cam Motion Cam, Johnson 2116LSR Lifters, Comp XDA Pushrods, Jesel Rockers, Mamo MSD, NW 102, Roto-Fab CAI, FAST 65# Injectors, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Kooks 2" Headers, Corsa Sport 3" Catback, Z28 Shifter, ZR1 Clutch, Katech LW Flywheel, 1LE 3.91 Diff, LPW Diff Cover, BMR - 1.4" Springs, LCA's, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Sway Bars, End Links, Diff Bushings, and Tunnel Brace, Z28/1LE Strut Tower Brace, Improved Racing Oil Cooler

2023 Camaro ZL1 / 1LE
Stock
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:34 AM   #252
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
Your credibility is truly lacking with the far-fetched stories you tell and no proof. This is yet another example. You’re saying you had a 55 Chevy with an LS6 that you sold in 1972 for $1,000. The LS6 debuted in 1970 and was only optioned on less than 4500 chevelles. There were no documented LS6s built in 1971 for the Chevelle but a few found there way into corvettes. As far as I can tell, Chevy never sold the LS6 as a crate motor either. So you must have found yours from a transplant vehicle in a junk yard. You must be confused and probably had the normal run of the mill 454 rated at 100 less HP which makes more sense since your car was so slow. The ls6 chevelle was documented to run a 13.4 second quarter mile on stock suspension and tires. That’s a fast car for something that heavy. And faster than you v6 Camaro today. So then you say you sold your collectible incredibly rare ls6 along with your 55 Chevy for $1000 in 1972. More nonsense. Even in the early 70s the shoebox was a collectible. Without the ls6, a decent bel air could go for $3000.

Keep telling your unicorn stories. I’ll start believing then when you show proof. Until then, enjoy your rocket ship factory freak v6.
The engine came out of a wrecked SS Chevelle and to be totally honest I really don't give a rats behind if you don't believe me. Why would I? Have a nice day and try to enjoy life instead of analyzing everything.
There may be old pictures someplace but who knows where they would be. That's a long time ago geez. And as far as selling the 55 trust me I wanted 1500 and I couldn't get it. The frame was sagged badly both frt tires were cambered out to the point it was dangerous to drive and 100's of other little problems. The engine was tired, the rear was whining list is endless. The rear cross support for the shocks was broken through the trunk. 1st guy that offered me 1k I sold it, who knows what happened to it. I had a blast in it and still had my 68 barracuda Formula S with big block in it 4 spd to drive. The barracuda I know I have pictures someplace, If I find them I'll post them up.

I asked my wife where pictures might be and she said who knows then asked why? I told her you guys want proof of this and that.............she just shook her head and said you are all whiny babies LMAO can't make this sheet up.

Edit I sold the 55 in 1975 or 1976 wife tells me.

Last edited by 152LTRockin; 05-12-2019 at 02:40 PM.