Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-11-2023, 03:31 PM   #239
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
So....it looks like after spending a bit of time in the ZLE, I'm going to sell the SLE. I really wish I could afford to keep both, but having 2 cars with crazy consumables is nuts. Sure, I could convert the car back to stock and drive it around, but it is not practical for me to do that.

I'll keep everyone posted, but it looks like I have it sold in its track configuration at the end of the month.

Ken
Old 06-14-2023, 02:46 PM   #240
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
eimarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 08:09 PM   #241
khcoaching

Updates -

The 2021 is officially sold. I'm pretty bummed, but I also realized that for me, I was maxed out with car as is, unless I started big dollar motor mods, which I wasn't willing to do. The send off today was driving it to the new owner and absolutely crushing the MPG!

Name:  IMG-2228.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  143.3 KB

The ZLE is going out for its 2nd run tomorrow and I am throwing on the 18s with the Z214s to see how they do. Stay tuned.....

Name:  IMG-2215.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  353.1 KB

Ken
Old 07-01-2023, 09:49 AM   #242
khcoaching

Not sure where to post the ZLE content, so I'll keep it here for awhile.

I signed up for a SCCA Track Night with the intent of testing a few things with the ZLE. Track Nights are not typically good for laptimes, but I was able to get a couple of quick laps in and beat my PB in the car by a bit, even in pretty hot temps. Also, quite a few Camaro's there including @elmarshall!

To Test:

1) Square setup
2) Instability on the straightaways
3) Octane booster

Testing: 305/30/18 Square

There seems to be a mixed info regarding square setups on these cars. I had the set of 18s from the SLE with the Hankook Z214s and I wanted to see how they would work for possible future tire choices. I had already installed the APR wheel studs and used the 26mm Apex spacers. My main concerns were gear ratios and rear grip, since the rears were much smaller than the 325/30/19s, although width was within .5".

Results -

I really like these tires, tons of grip, fast warmup and great breakaway.

Gearing - The first thing was the car was now geared much shorter and I felt this was not a good thing, as the car was on the revlimiter in a few spots and it seemed the car lost all that good torque pull. Top speeds were down due to the hotter weather.

Braking - Zero issue with braking. No mode issues and I was able to actually brake a bit later in some spots.

Rear Grip - Surprisingly, zero issues with rear grip compared to the 3Rs. In fact, later in each session, I turned off TC and was able to match or better my exits from TC on with the 3Rs which will be key as the pace picks up to not have the TC hold me back.

Ground clearance - UGH, this was not good. I was scraping the front aero and the exhaust in the dip in 7 and couldn't run my normal speed in there.

Overall, I liked the grip and feel, but if I am going to run 18s, it will have to be with taller tires....

Blue is Hankook Z214s

Name:  ZLE3RvsZ214.png
Views: 341
Size:  164.7 KB

Instability -

The car is unstable at high speeds, especially with cold tires. As in - "I have to lift off the throttle because I'm scared shitless.." The car has full MCS and I am just getting my head wrapped around them. I started off with baseline clicker settings which were more to work around late corner understeer and for session 1, not great. For session 2 I reduced front rebound and this made a huge difference. I could go back to holding it wide open T9-10 and set my best laps, though it was all hands on deck attention wise.

There is quite a bit of work to be done here to make the car fun to drive, as right now, it's not really fun. For the next outing (this Sunday) making a few changes to the rear wing and rear ride height to help. I also think the front toe is an issue.

Octane Booster -

Since the temps were high, perfect chance to see what some Octane Booster would do! I had to fill up after 2 runs and used a full can of the VP Octanium and it made aa decent difference. I wasn't getting heat soak for the first 2 runs, but run 3 I picked up almost a little MPH on the front straight.

Black is Octane Booster vs Blue No Octane Booster

Name:  Octane Booster.png
Views: 349
Size:  141.9 KB

Video!

Old 07-18-2023, 01:11 AM   #243
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Ken did you had any more ice mode braking issues in SSLE before you sold it?

If not, how many track days did you have with the slicks without any ice mode issues?

And are you 100% confident that it was the slicks that made the difference?

After todays repeat ice mode, I’m quitting going to the track ever again because my car was once again was off into the gravel, and only a few feet away from hitting a dirt embankment and causing many thousands worth of damage. I have no confidence in my car’s ability to stop me anymore even though I’ve changed to a 2019 ZL 11LE EBCM ABS brake module, and have changed my driving style to apply the brakes more gently and leave a little bit of time between throttle release and Brake application.

The only thing that would convince me to ever go again, is if I believe that slicks (or something else) would 100% solve this issue. This has happened with both SC3R tires and Trofeo R tires.
Old 07-18-2023, 11:07 AM   #244
khcoaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Ken did you had any more ice mode braking issues in SSLE before you sold it?

If not, how many track days did you have with the slicks without any ice mode issues?

And are you 100% confident that it was the slicks that made the difference?

I did not have any additional issues with it. Am I sure, no.

After todays repeat ice mode, I’m quitting going to the track ever again because my car was once again was off into the gravel, and only a few feet away from hitting a dirt embankment and causing many thousands worth of damage. I have no confidence in my car’s ability to stop me anymore even though I’ve changed to a 2019 ZL 11LE EBCM ABS brake module, and have changed my driving style to apply the brakes more gently and leave a little bit of time between throttle release and Brake application.

The only thing that would convince me to ever go again, is if I believe that slicks (or something else) would 100% solve this issue. This has happened with both SC3R tires and Trofeo R tires.

There is some sort of significant difference between the ZLE and everything else. Take a look at my PB vs PB - SLE vs ZLE. I am braking at the near the same places with the ZLE as the SLE, yet carrying way more speed at the brake application point. Some places I use more brake pressure, some less. Bottom line, the ZLE will allow me to brake however I want - whether it is on 3Rs or the square 18s I tried on it.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2023, 11:40 PM   #245
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
There is some sort of significant difference between the ZLE and everything else. Take a look at my PB vs PB - SLE vs ZLE. I am braking at the near the same places with the ZLE as the SLE, yet carrying way more speed at the brake application point. Some places I use more brake pressure, some less. Bottom line, the ZLE will allow me to brake however I want - whether it is on 3Rs or the square 18s I tried on it.
Thanks, That’s good to know!

Do you have just one day at the track in the ZLE?

I’m interested to see if you ever end up having any ice mode in the ZLE… if you don’t, then perhaps the answer for me is getting a ZLE and transferring all of my upgraded parts over from my car to it…

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 07-18-2023 at 11:52 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 08:44 AM   #246
khcoaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Thanks, That’s good to know!

Do you have just one day at the track in the ZLE?

I’m interested to see if you ever end up having any ice mode in the ZLE… if you don’t, then perhaps the answer for me is getting a ZLE and transferring all of my upgraded parts over from my car to it…
About a day and half with the ZLE so far, all at pace. Zero issues with the 3Rs as well as with 315/30/18 Hankook Z214s. The braking ability as well as the gear ratios were the main reason to sell the SLE.

Ken

Last edited by khcoaching; 08-28-2023 at 05:23 AM.
khcoaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 04:27 AM   #247
daniel.drives

Drives: Chevy Camaro 1SS 1LE
Ken, I gotta say, I really appreciate the depth of insights and hard won data you're posting here, I'm excited to get my ss1le on track this fall in SoCal and this thread definitely helps focus what the car will (eventually) need.

I've been tracking a Mercury Marauder for 2.5 years now, and I've absolutely hit the limit of what that platform can do, which is better than you'd think (1:50.3 at Laguna, also met Randy Pobst in the paddock that day). My experience there tells me to do swaybars sooner instead of chasing camber past stockish limits, is that reasonable or do you really need the numbers that you landed on to get grip?

Congrats on the ZLE, that seems like a good progression forward.
daniel.drives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 05:26 AM   #248
khcoaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel.drives View Post
Ken, I gotta say, I really appreciate the depth of insights and hard won data you're posting here, I'm excited to get my ss1le on track this fall in SoCal and this thread definitely helps focus what the car will (eventually) need.

I've been tracking a Mercury Marauder for 2.5 years now, and I've absolutely hit the limit of what that platform can do, which is better than you'd think (1:50.3 at Laguna, also met Randy Pobst in the paddock that day). My experience there tells me to do swaybars sooner instead of chasing camber past stockish limits, is that reasonable or do you really need the numbers that you landed on to get grip?

Congrats on the ZLE, that seems like a good progression forward.
I'm a huge Panther platform fan and had multiple ex P71s, super fun.

The one combo I didn't try was the sway bars with the Magride and I wish I did. I think this would have been a really good compromise and yielded near DSSV laptimes.

Ken
Old 09-19-2023, 10:44 AM   #249
khcoaching

ZL1 1LE update!

Nelson Ledges - ZL1 1LE - 1:09.70

Name:  IMG-2643 copy.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  163.5 KB

I had the car shipped back east and the first stop was Nelson Ledges, where I was able to get in 3x15 min sessions, during a private motorcycle test day. Nelson is an iconic old school road course and very demanding with anything high HP. The ZL1 did not disappoint. The instability seemed much worse here and to be honest, I was pretty scared the first 4 laps I'll do some investigating to figure this out as there was zero room for error on this narrow track.

I ran it with the same 3Rs from WA, even though they were pretty shagged and rear grip was nonexistent. I ended getting solidly in the 9s with a theoretical best of 1:09.48. I think with some proper grip, low 8s are possible.

I also had problems with the PDR.....it didn't start registering lap times until the 2nd or 3rd flying lap and for the best laps, the lap timer didn't work.

AIM graphs and video below!

Name:  ZL1 Nelson_Sept 23.png
Views: 144
Size:  271.9 KB

Name:  Screenshot (282).png
Views: 145
Size:  287.4 KB
Old 09-19-2023, 11:51 AM   #250
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
Nice to see the update and you’re making it to the east! Do you think the first few laps suffer the 3r temperature (or lack of it) issue? In my experience till the tire temp gauge says “warm” they can’t be pushed at all…

Also, Ken, are you making your way to NJMP at all? There are a few of us with 1les that are eagerly awaiting your presence
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 01:35 PM   #251
khcoaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1+911 View Post
Nice to see the update and you’re making it to the east! Do you think the first few laps suffer the 3r temperature (or lack of it) issue? In my experience till the tire temp gauge says “warm” they can’t be pushed at all…

Also, Ken, are you making your way to NJMP at all? There are a few of us with 1les that are eagerly awaiting your presence
The first few cold laps on 3Rs on downright scary imo, they need heat and don't disagree with your thoughts.......The temps were great early on for car laps, but I didn't get out until after 12 and my last session was at 5pm and felt the rear tires never had grip, but they were also near corded.

Soon, I hope. I was actually thinking of bringing to NJMP this weekend to store since I will already be there, but didn't get my crap together to find a place to store it. The current plan is to bring it over after one more Nelson day in early Oct.

Ken
Old 09-19-2023, 02:04 PM   #252
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
Me and a couple of other guys from here are planning for a track day on 1st oct @ Lightning. Any chance that you can make it ? Would LOVE to have u there! Also, regarding storage, my friend who has the tire shop at Thunderbolt (TK auto) has significant storage right off the track - do you want me to connect the two of you?
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote