Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #183
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke.Malvo View Post
Please explain "spin the engine fast". Do you mean make more powet? Because, beside gearing, more power will make an engine spin faster.
No, they mean making more revolutions per second.

Changing the gearing does not change the maximum speed the engine rotates at, just how fast its turning when you're driving a particular speed.

And making more power does not make the engine spin faster either. It can make the car go faster in its top gear, but the maximum possible speed of the engine will not be changed if all you do is add more power. Think flooring it while in neutral.

Without getting too deep into the physics of it all, the maximum speed an engine an turn at is closely related to the strength & weight of its internal components*. The stronger they are, and the lighter they are, the faster it can spin without destroying itself. Regular V8s have large counterweights on the crankshaft which allow it to run very smoothly, but make it more difficult to spin fast. Crossplane V8s do not have these and so they free to spin a lot faster.

*yes, yes ... there is a lot more to it than that. But without delving into the sources and effects of inertia and vibrations for V8 engines and the ways they're managed, the simple answer is 'strength & weight' because those are the two most important contributors
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:56 PM   #184
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
This is what I was saying since the beginning of the year.
LT5, DOHC, 90s ZR1.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:20 PM   #185
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
No, they mean making more revolutions per second.

Changing the gearing does not change the maximum speed the engine rotates at, just how fast its turning when you're driving a particular speed.

And making more power does not make the engine spin faster either. It can make the car go faster in its top gear, but the maximum possible speed of the engine will not be changed if all you do is add more power. Think flooring it while in neutral.

Without getting too deep into the physics of it all, the maximum speed an engine an turn at is closely related to the strength & weight of its internal components*. The stronger they are, and the lighter they are, the faster it can spin without destroying itself. Regular V8s have large counterweights on the crankshaft which allow it to run very smoothly, but make it more difficult to spin fast. Crossplane V8s do not have these and so they free to spin a lot faster.

*yes, yes ... there is a lot more to it than that. But without delving into the sources and effects of inertia and vibrations for V8 engines and the ways they're managed, the simple answer is 'strength & weight' because those are the two most important contributors
I figured they meant higher RPM's. I know and understand all that other stuff. I just threw that question out there because I get a kick out of people trying to explain an engine spinning "faster" with lighter components when they really meant spinning higher RPM's.

But gearing can affect how fast an engine spins. Which engine will spin faster to 5000 RPM, the one that is geared with 4.10's, or the ones with 2.73's?

"Faster" can mean different things.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #186
NemesisC5

Drives: 1999 Corvette C5
You can work magic with transmission ratios and number of gears.
NemesisC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:01 PM   #187
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke.Malvo View Post
I figured they meant higher RPM's. I know and understand all that other stuff. I just threw that question out there because I get a kick out of people trying to explain an engine spinning "faster" with lighter components when they really meant spinning higher RPM's.

But gearing can affect how fast an engine spins. Which engine will spin faster to 5000 RPM, the one that is geared with 4.10's, or the ones with 2.73's?

"Faster" can mean different things.
Fast is speed is change per unit time. For something rotating, how fast something goes is usually measured in revolutions per minute. How the rest of the drivetrain is geared does not change the maximum engine speed. Does not change how fast the engine goes.

Getting to a particular engine speed in a certain amount of time is an acceleration measured in something like RPM/second.

As soon as you talk about speed over time (instead of revolutions over time), you're now talking about acceleration. In essence, the speed of speed or the fastness of fastness. But to use the word faster in this context, you need to specify. As you just did. To say that faster has different meanings is like saying hockey has different meanings, because there is hockey, field hockey, and street hockey. No ... hockey is a team game where you try and put a round piece of rubber into a goal by whacking it with a stick & trying to prevent your opponents from doing the same. If you just say 'hockey', people will assume (rightfully) that you're talking about the one played on ice. And if you just say faster (without reference to anything else), it means speed -not acceleration.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:25 PM   #188
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
You know, if that list was completely accurate (which it wasn't) then the Camaro isn't going to get a LT5 engine.... the only listed engines were the engines that the car currently has.....

Also if you were to believe that list then the Cadillac CT6 is getting the LT4 V-8 engine..... and no 4.2TT V-8 engine.....

Now we know that the CT6 is getting a 4.2L V-8 engine, this has been talked about by Cadillac marketing team for I think over a year now. This engine is suppose to pack in the upper 400BHP range (probably something like 480BHP).
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:38 AM   #189
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
You know, if that list was completely accurate (which it wasn't) then the Camaro isn't going to get a LT5 engine.... the only listed engines were the engines that the car currently has.....

Also if you were to believe that list then the Cadillac CT6 is getting the LT4 V-8 engine..... and no 4.2TT V-8 engine.....

Now we know that the CT6 is getting a 4.2L V-8 engine, this has been talked about by Cadillac marketing team for I think over a year now. This engine is suppose to pack in the upper 400BHP range (probably something like 480BHP).
Let's suppose the list is completely accurate (just for arguments sake), can't the list be updated next year to add the Camaro to the list for the LT5? And wouldn't that make it a 2019 model year car? I'm not sure how this list works.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:15 AM   #190
doc7000

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Let's suppose the list is completely accurate (just for arguments sake), can't the list be updated next year to add the Camaro to the list for the LT5? And wouldn't that make it a 2019 model year car? I'm not sure how this list works.
That would push the Z/28 Camaro out that much further, especially since we have been seeing Z/28 Camaro prototypes around for some time now. Remember we saw ZL1 and 1LE Camaro prototypes about a year before they were officially unveiled to the public.

There is also serious question if a 6.2L DOHC engine would actually fit under the hood of the Camaro, not only is it a good deal taller it is also a good deal wider.

Not only that but if I remember correctly before the LT1 engine was shown off this same list from then had the LT1 engine written down as OHC however no one believed it as we already knew at that point that it was going to be OHV. There are just a number of things that do not line.... firstly the rumors have suggested that the ZR1 will be more powerful then the Z06 Corvette. If that was so then where is the supercharger or turbocharger? it is extremely unlikely that GM will produce a 6.2L normally aspirated V-8 that makes about 700BHP. However if they were to do this then they lock themselves out of selling this vehicle in the European market a move that the Corvette team seems unlikely to do. Though if this is the engine that I think it is then no AFM would make the LT5 engine a not for European market as well.

If this is for the mid rear engine Corvette which would make the most sense then it would likely pack around 550ish BHP and would fit. That would mean that the first rear mid Corvette can't be sold in Europe something that to me makes no sense as Europe has always been the real push to produce a rear mid Corvette.

You see the issues here is you now have rumors that do not add up and even on the list there are obviously spotted errors. Such as the fact that the LT4 based on the engine part of that list is slated for the CT6 however on the VIN part it wasn't on there. Meaning there are contradictions on the list, so we will have to wait and see what is going to happen.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:19 PM   #191
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
That would push the Z/28 Camaro out that much further, especially since we have been seeing Z/28 Camaro prototypes around for some time now. Remember we saw ZL1 and 1LE Camaro prototypes about a year before they were officially unveiled to the public.
So, do you thing the Z/28 will be unveiled in Detroit? Later in 2017? And if so, wouldn't that make it an LT4 car? I'm still hoping for N/A, but indications seem to point to an LT4 car.

Quote:
There is also serious question if a 6.2L DOHC engine would actually fit under the hood of the Camaro, not only is it a good deal taller it is also a good deal wider.
I thought I read somewhere that GM considered DOHC for the C7, but it would have been a couple (can't remember if they said 2 or 3) inches taller. That could be remedied in a Camaro by using a dry sump, but the width would be more the issue. I think it could fit, but we haven't seen the LT5, so who knows how much wider it is.

Quote:
Not only that but if I remember correctly before the LT1 engine was shown off this same list from then had the LT1 engine written down as OHC however no one believed it as we already knew at that point that it was going to be OHV. There are just a number of things that do not line.... firstly the rumors have suggested that the ZR1 will be more powerful then the Z06 Corvette. If that was so then where is the supercharger or turbocharger? it is extremely unlikely that GM will produce a 6.2L normally aspirated V-8 that makes about 700BHP. However if they were to do this then they lock themselves out of selling this vehicle in the European market a move that the Corvette team seems unlikely to do. Though if this is the engine that I think it is then no AFM would make the LT5 engine a not for European market as well.
What are the rumors about when/if the ZR1 Covette is coming? I have seen spy shots of the mid-engined vette, so I was just guessing the LT5 will be for that for sure. I was just hoping that it would also somehow end up in the Z/28.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:26 PM   #192
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
I suspect the Z28 and mid engine Corvette will get an engine from GM's existing portfolio.http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...lt376-535.html
ron scubadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:02 PM   #193
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Don't think that's whats coming in the Z/28.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:28 PM   #194
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
I think the shift is away from Europe. Its all about Arab and Chinese (Asian) money. They pay large for these cars...lots of them. I would hazard a guess there are more Corvettes and Camaros, etc out in those markets than in Europe.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:05 PM   #195
doc7000

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
So, do you thing the Z/28 will be unveiled in Detroit? Later in 2017? And if so, wouldn't that make it an LT4 car? I'm still hoping for N/A, but indications seem to point to an LT4 car.

I thought I read somewhere that GM considered DOHC for the C7, but it would have been a couple (can't remember if they said 2 or 3) inches taller. That could be remedied in a Camaro by using a dry sump, but the width would be more the issue. I think it could fit, but we haven't seen the LT5, so who knows how much wider it is.

What are the rumors about when/if the ZR1 Covette is coming? I have seen spy shots of the mid-engined vette, so I was just guessing the LT5 will be for that for sure. I was just hoping that it would also somehow end up in the Z/28.
Based on the info on that list it is so hard to say, that list obviously had glitches to it and that can work both ways as it could have models added......

They looked at the 3.6L TT V-6 engine (LF4 engine found in the ATS V) for the C7 Corvette however the LT1 beat it in fuel economy and is something like 10 pounds lighter then it. Actually I don't think the rear mid engine Corvette will be called y body as there is going to be production overlap and that would complicate logistics. The info IMHO just doesn't line up well (as well as with other products on that list), someone pointed out that based on that no more 2.0T and 3.6 V-6 engine in the Camaro.

It is completely possible that what was seen is accurate, though I honestly have some serious questions about it.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:06 PM   #196
doc7000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
I think the shift is away from Europe. Its all about Arab and Chinese (Asian) money. They pay large for these cars...lots of them. I would hazard a guess there are more Corvettes and Camaros, etc out in those markets than in Europe.
You would probably be correct, though I haven't seen any evidence of a shift as far as Tadge is concerned. Though maybe Corvette sales havn't taken off in Europe as much as they thought so they are saying screw it.