Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #1891
yankee

Drives: 2018 Camaro LT RS, 2015 Mazda 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
Not necessarily... I think most of the hating is people generally not liking the new design. Can people not like something without there being an anterior motive?

Some people can’t understand that a design can be plain ugly, like this one. It seems that if you don’t like a design, you are a hater, not a fan, or justifying your purchase
yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #1892
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
Not necessarily... I think most of the hating is people generally not liking the new design. Can people not like something without there being an anterior motive?
Hate feeds hate , so I would say there very well may be an anterior motive.
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #1893
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post

Some people can’t understand that a design can be plain ugly, like this one. It seems that if you don’t like a design, you are a hater, not a fan, or justifying your purchase
Critics say Lexus styling cues are ugly. I, and a shit ton of buyer disagree and think they look hot. Same with Civic Type R...

At some point you all are going to have to accept that this is how the car will be built. A lot of guys do like it, will buy it and will post pictures of their baby.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #1894
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Agree but this is what Car and Driver said:
Better than expected, if you don't mind looking at it.

The point is it is another niche car kinda like 1le. Enthusiasts get it but general public doesnt.
The styling is very garish but it is a good performer.
The grin factor is high. I never really look at the car, when I'm driving. The front end looks great to me anyway. The rear is over done but hey, such is life.

Is it better than the 2ss? In some ways, in some ways the Camaro is much nicer. That's why I have both now. Wife loves the camaro, she can't drive stick

Last edited by indyz; 05-12-2018 at 10:07 AM.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #1895
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
This 'refresh' is not going to outsell the Dodge or Ford offerings. GM will sell a few, but that's about it. Maybe the apologists are okay with the Camaro being in last place sales-wise, but I'm certainly not. I hope the decision makers at GM aren't either.

This body and interior design has to go. Start over. Get a designer with a vision. Sangyup Lee who designed the 5th Gen concept car, is now working at Hyundai designing a new Genesis coupe for them.

Here's his sketch for the 5th Gen Camaro:

Name:  1090893856.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  32.7 KB
Name:  1276617503.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  31.8 KB

Here's his Genesis Essentia concept car for Hyundai:

Name:  39272191490_69d0ec3e71_o.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  279.2 KB
Name:  27208817888_5d80b3a66d_o.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  304.2 KB

Compare those to what the Chevy design team has done with this 'refresh'... it's not a winning design... period. I'm not going to baby the team or anyone else. They're big boys and this is business. The engineering team has knocked it out of the park; the body and interior design team needs to match that with a design that matches the performance.

Come up with a modern bowtie; the big, cheap looking gold bowtie looks straight out of the 80's and is horribly outdated. The old blue ones even looked better. Come up with a sleek, modern design... and I emphasis the word 'sleek'; not something from a tranformers robot. Get serious.

The body side is too high; cabin top looks squashed. The car looks bulky and heavy, and not in a good way. The front looks like it was designed by a dentist. The back? Looks like somebody stuck on aftermarket lenses from JC Whitney.

Dammit GM, I KNOW you can do better! GET SERIOUS!! Forget surveys, focus groups and polls. Get a designer with a vision and make the Camaro be what it should be; something people want to take out a loan to get. Not something they aren't sure about, or hope it will 'grow' on them.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #1896
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
JhonnyGTR nailed it with the heritage cues! I saw most of them from day one and really like the back end. However, just because it has all these heritage cues doesn’t mean it’s attractive or widely accepted. Here’s my take after looking at pics for the past few weeks. I’ve tried to get it to grow on me but I still struggle with the fact that to me the front end just doesn’t fit the rest of the car. The one heritage cue that is gone is the POINTED front end! The first post on this page showing a 3/4 side shot makes this apparent! The whole front clip just looks out of place! Too flat, kind of like someone punched it in the face, lol! Again, this is just my opinion so agree or not, but I’m keeping my ‘16 for now! I really need to see one in person to make a final judgement!
In real photos is not flat at all
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #1897
yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyGTR View Post
In real photos is not flat at all
But the SS looks chopped anyway, with that black bumper and cheeks. Looks unfinished at best.

I think a lot of body shops will now offer a way to give this car's front a proper look (flowtie relocation, bumper from side to side and painted in body color, ...). A lot of improvements can be made to make it look nicer. We even have some Photoshop "fixes" here, that make that front look a lot better. That's not a sign of a good design.

Was it designed by an intern in a hurry to prove himself...? I don't know, but it looks like it.

Last edited by yankee; 05-12-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #1898
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
This 'refresh' is not going to outsell the Dodge or Ford offerings. GM will sell a few, but that's about it. Maybe the apologists are okay with the Camaro being in last place sales-wise, but I'm certainly not. I hope the decision makers at GM aren't either.

This body and interior design has to go. Start over. Get a designer with a vision. Sangyup Lee who designed the 5th Gen concept car, is now working at Hyundai designing a new Genesis coupe for them.

Attachment 935148
Attachment 935149

Attachment 935150
Attachment 935151

Compare those to what the Chevy design team has done with this 'refresh'... it's not a winning design... period. I'm not going to baby the team or anyone else. They're big boys and this is business. The engineering team has knocked it out of the park; the body and interior design team needs to match that with a design that matches the performance.

Come up with a modern bowtie; the big, cheap looking gold bowtie looks straight out of the 80's and is horribly outdated. The old blue ones even looked better. Come up with a sleek, modern design... and I emphasis the word 'sleek'; not something from a tranformers robot. Get serious.

The body side is too high; cabin top looks squashed. The car looks bulky and heavy, and not in a good way. The front looks like it was designed by a dentist. The back? Looks like somebody stuck on aftermarket lenses from JC Whitney.

Dammit GM, I KNOW you can do better! GET SERIOUS!! Forget surveys, focus groups and polls. Get a designer with a vision and make the Camaro be what it should be; something people want to take out a loan to get. Not something they aren't sure about, or hope it will 'grow' on them.
Pardon que me entrometa but, This is Not a Corvette, This is Not a Giulia (Alfa Romeo, whatever) Competitor and This is NOT A LUXURY CAR INTENT. So Your luxury Request Not going to Work here... And sorry now I'm going to say something in my Languaje.... De qué sirve llamar Camaro a algo que parezca un Ferrari o un Porsche Panamera? Acaso El Corvette no está ahí para batallar con ese propósito? This is not a 50+ or a 70+ Base car, and You know what I mean when I said that. So don't try to bring that, That's not going to happen, good or Bad, it's not going to happen. Entiendalo. The only way that You may Get what You wants is IF you are the GM's Owner and do not care about the polls says, because believe it or not, this Car and the Previous one, were made because of polls of Clients that say which things wants in the car... Sorry not Sorry, This is the business that exists, not the one that You believe

Last edited by JhonnyGTR; 05-12-2018 at 10:36 AM. Reason: A correction
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #1899
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:

Attachment 935148
Attachment 935149

Attachment 935150
Attachment 935151

Boy you said it all. Agree completely. Hyundai and Kia both are making waves these days and building some great vehicles. It about finding the right people.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #1900
yankee

I don't mind the interior at all. At even the base trim it offers a lot! The performance is also a dream! At this price level, is the perfect car.
But it seems that this time the design team is not at all in sync with "the rest" of this car.

Previous versions were beautiful inside-out. The refresh... only inside.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:51 AM   #1901
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:

Attachment 935148
Attachment 935149

Attachment 935150
Attachment 935151

Agree. But a refresh usually means body panels and glass stay untouched because of costs and other factors. So i think GM was rather limited with the areas they could change to give it a refreshed yet different look. To this end i think they have succeeded as nobody will mistaken this car for an original gen6.

But, the front end has styling cues that no other car on the market has, save for the Mitsu SUV and perhaps the Bimmer i8 (to a lesser extend). Speaking of the fangs of course. While they look good in profile and other angles straight up they do look polarizing. I actualy like what they have done with the front end overall (given the rest of the car stayed the same) to make it different, but i do think the fangs may cause many folks to scratch their heads. I like the SS as a package but i am not fond of the fangs per se.

I dont know what i dont know aero and cooling wise but if they continued them all the way down then the look would be a bit softer and hence easier to "understand" perhaps.

As far as concept drawings...they are always miles away from reality and that Genesis could look like a meh Mazda once it hits production lines. Sort of like concept drawings of a new Supra vs actual mules which to me look very meh.

GM will know the outcome of their efforts rather quickly as orders for 2018 are now history. If the cash register isnt ringing for them with 2019 orders next month i think they will have no choice but to respond somehow. Unless gen7 is in the cards sooner vs later.
And who knows, if LT and RS sell well they may not care if SS is slow in sales. Either way we wont know for quite a while as theyve gone to a quarterly sales reporting.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #1902
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Boy you said it all. Agree completely. Hyundai and Kia both are making waves these days and building some great vehicles. It about finding the right people.
Their sales have been tanking for a while now...
Great vehicles? Which ones exactly?

The new Stinger received so so reviews based on real road tests and i laugh each time i see its tv commercial with the old man Futtipaldi driving it on a friggin oval! Funny stuff...
Old 05-12-2018, 11:13 AM   #1903
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyz View Post
The grin factor is high. I never really look at the car, when I'm driving. The front end looks great to me anyway. The rear is over done but hey, such is life.

Is it better than the 2ss? In some ways, in some ways the Camaro is much nicer. That's why I have both now. Wife loves the camaro, she can't drive stick
Nice stable i am sure the grin factor is high and i too dont look at the car while i drive it. But i also prefer not to use the proverbial bag over somebody's face while doing you know what
Old 05-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #1904
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Their sales have been tanking for a while now...
Great vehicles? Which ones exactly?

The new Stinger received so so reviews based on real road tests and i laugh each time i see its tv commercial with the old man Futtipaldi driving it on a friggin oval! Funny stuff...
What the hell is a KIA? Sorry these cars are like a bad replacement teacher coming into a pre-school. Like "Hey what kind of car do you drive?" Kia Stinger. Sounds like a odd type of fish there buddy. Just seeing that KIA emblem alone on the car makes me think straight garbage.... LOL
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2019 camaro refresh, 2020 camrao, becky, beckyd, camaro refresh, camarodestroyed, new camaro, ugly camaro, wtf?!?!