Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-16-2019, 08:17 AM   #1821
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
I can pretty much guarantee it will have the typewriter tick...

That being said, I don't see the GT 500 coming in at under 75k PERIOD. You have to think, the RedEye's are going for 90k+.. There's one here in Indiana for basically 100k. Remember, this is Ford's Corvette.....so they are going to play it up as much as they can. Yes, they have the Ford GT...but it's not the same...
I agree with you. Base GT500 I think will be at least 80k.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #1822
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo8904 View Post
I definitely think that the track version will have an msrp of around $80 but for the base model, <$70 would cheap it competitive. However, the issue is the dealer markups.

I bet the gt500 has the typewriter tick lol.
Quote:

That being said, I don't see the GT 500 coming in at under 75k PERIOD. You have to think, the RedEye's are going for 90k+.. There's one here in Indiana for basically 100k. Remember, this is Ford's Corvette.....so they are going to play it up as much as they can. Yes, they have the Ford GT...but it's not the same...
Why do you guys think this? From what I can tell, the tick seems to be specific to the 5.0L. The 5.2L FPC Voodoo (which Predator is based on) has oil consumption issues and NVH issues, but as far as I can tell has not had the tick issue. The 5.2L engines have different blocks and pistons than the 5.0L and are hand assembled in a low volume performance center, not mass produced like the 5.0L. And since it will not share the flat planed crank with Voodoo, a lot of the NVH issues will likely go away.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:31 AM   #1823
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Well if you're gonna take everything literal then how do you know that each and every one will sat above MSRP?? You don't.

By the time they release specs for the GT500 and by the time it is out for sale there will be soo many other cars that people will have to look forward to. GM is already announcing next Gen stuff while Ford has people waiting almost halfway thru this current MY for info on the GT500. I think a lot of people have moved on and are anticipating ME Vettes at this point Especially since I predict the ME Vette will be cheaper and will beat the GT500 around a track.

I have a feeling that the standard C8 will beat the GT500 around a track and will come in at a lower MSRP. I think Ford is trying to wait as long as they can because they want to see what the Vette will MSRP at. Or they don't wanna flash their cards and then get undercut by GM on the MSRP, lol!!

I also think that IF Ford does push the S550 longer then the GT500 will have a very short victory. If the 7th Gen Camaro follows the same path over the 6th Gen Camaro that the 6th Gen Camaro took over the 5th Gens, then the next SS should either match the current ZL1 or come close to it. So if the GT500 is not able to beat the standard ZL1 around a track then I think it will have a hard time against the 7th Gen SS. I'm eager to see what happens.
I think you underestimate the appeal of the Mustang. While I am sure some buyers will have moved on, the GT500 will still command an audience and buyers simply for the fact it is a Mustang with 700 HP. I also think the C8 will probably give it a run for it's money because if it doesn't I would be disappointed in the C8 more than the Mustang. I have very high expectations for the C8

I agree the 7th gen will see a performance improvement but I don't know if it will be as drastic as 5th to 6th. I think we can all agree that going from Zeta to Alpha was the biggest benefactor for the improved overall performance of the Camaro. Going from Alpha to Alpha II, I bet there is some performance increase but I doubt it will be as big. LT2 will improve performance as well but I don't think it will get it to 650HP ZL1 level.

You bring up an interesting point about C8 MSRP. Some people think automatically because its ME it's going to cost 6 figures. I hope it doesn't but that could be an interesting theory that Ford might be waiting on that. Me personally i would avoid any press for the GT500 anywhere near the C8 reveal. The C8 reveal is going to dominate the news cycle.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadicus View Post
I agree with you. Base GT500 I think will be at least 80k.

You and Blaq keep saying the Redeye is 90K car. It starts MSRP at 73,190
https://www.dodge.com/build.challeng...SE,27Z,3EJ,APA

You have to load it with practically every option to get it to 90. Widebody package, technology package, premium paint, premium leather, premium package, painted satin black graphics package

I am still going to the guess the base GT500 splits the ZL1 and ZLE in MSRP.

I keep going back to they undercut the Z/28 MSRP by 12K with the GT350R. I think they know where this car needs to sit MSRP wise.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:08 AM   #1824
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Why do you guys think this?
Because virtually all of their V8 motors tick for one reason or another... and yes, the 5.2 actually does have a ticking issue....maybe not the same as others...but it does exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I agree the 7th gen will see a performance improvement but I don't know if it will be as drastic as 5th to 6th. I think we can all agree that going from Zeta to Alpha was the biggest benefactor for the improved overall performance of the Camaro. Going from Alpha to Alpha II, I bet there is some performance increase but I doubt it will be as big. LT2 will improve performance as well but I don't think it will get it to 650HP ZL1 level.
I think the C7 Camaro will see a significant change, namely because I think the opportunity to do it will exist. For the first time ever, we could actually see a turbo powered V8 Camaro. There's also the serious potential that we get an LT5 powered 800hp ZL1. Even if they touch nothing and leave it at 755hp, that's enough power to match or best anything from Dodge or Ford.

The LT2, if it in fact goes into the Camaro, adds roughly 50hp...I expect it will actually see more...

Quote:
You and Blaq keep saying the Redeye is 90K car. It starts MSRP at 73,190
https://www.dodge.com/build.challeng...SE,27Z,3EJ,APA

You have to load it with practically every option to get it to 90. Widebody package, technology package, premium paint, premium leather, premium package, painted satin black graphics package

I am still going to the guess the base GT500 splits the ZL1 and ZLE in MSRP.

I keep going back to they undercut the Z/28 MSRP by 12K with the GT350R. I think they know where this car needs to sit MSRP wise.
And yet, the ADM for every GT 350 and GT 350R was roughly 20-30k over MSRP. More to the point, there is ZERO chance that the base GT 500 sits anywhere near a ZL1. Even at MSRP, there is no way they are coming in anywhere under 75k.....just don't see it happening in the slightest bit.

You guys keep assuming there will be more than one model, and I honestly dont expect there will be. The fact they opted to speed limit it is why I don't believe there will be. What you see is what you will get....

As for the RedEye, yes, the MSRP is 73k..... but good luck finding one at that price... like I said, they are so in demand you aren't paying less than 90k for one. The only reason I'm not driving a Hellcat Charger atm is because I couldn't find one within a 700 mile radius that was willing to deal, on even a 2 year old brand new one...

Redeye's available on lots...

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...sModified=true

Only one is under 80k...and it has almost 2k miles on it...
Old 04-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #1825
shaffe

Quote:
Because virtually all of their V8 motors tick for one reason or another... and yes, the 5.2 actually does have a ticking issue....maybe not the same as others...but it does exist.

I think the C7 Camaro will see a significant change, namely because I think the opportunity to do it will exist. For the first time ever, we could actually see a turbo powered V8 Camaro. There's also the serious potential that we get an LT5 powered 800hp ZL1. Even if they touch nothing and leave it at 755hp, that's enough power to match or best anything from Dodge or Ford.

The LT2, if it in fact goes into the Camaro, adds roughly 50hp...I expect it will actually see more...

And yet, the ADM for every GT 350 and GT 350R was roughly 20-30k over MSRP. More to the point, there is ZERO chance that the base GT 500 sits anywhere near a ZL1. Even at MSRP, there is no way they are coming in anywhere under 75k.....just don't see it happening in the slightest bit.

You guys keep assuming there will be more than one model, and I honestly dont expect there will be. The fact they opted to speed limit it is why I don't believe there will be. What you see is what you will get....

As for the RedEye, yes, the MSRP is 73k..... but good luck finding one at that price... like I said, they are so in demand you aren't paying less than 90k for one. The only reason I'm not driving a Hellcat Charger atm is because I couldn't find one within a 700 mile radius that was willing to deal, on even a 2 year old brand new one...

Redeye's available on lots...

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...sModified=true

Only one is under 80k...and it has almost 2k miles on it...
Yes but we are talking MSRP here. The ADM does not change the fact that the Redeye MSRP starts at 73.

Here is within 50 miles of me if we are using car gurus as a legit source

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/se...d894&zip=60527

Yes I will have to agree that none are close to the starting price of 73(except that one at 78) but 4 out of the first 5 are all under 90K, and 3 of those 5 have discounts on them and the highest mileage is 5. Just need to look and it can be found.

Changed the search from 50 miles to 100 and boom first one

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/se...ting=235710056

1K over MSRP but 74K Redeye with 12 miles on it

Ford has already said there will be two models or in essence two models with the base GT500 and the Carbon Track package. Same as ZL1 and ZLE So not sure why you think there will be only 1
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 04-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #1826
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:

Fair enough. Thing is, on the S550 part of the Mustang6 forum, it's a constant discussion point. Multiple threads with hundreds, in some cases more than a thousand posts in each thread. In the Shelby GT350 part of the forum I can't recall ever seeing a single thread on tick. Other noises, yes. Some concern on piston slap, a lot of talk on oil consumption, and a couple mega-threads on engine replacements, but not a single one (that I can find) on tick.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #1827
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Yes but we are talking MSRP here.
Keep in mind, I never said the car's MSRP was 90k...just that they were costing that much...

Quote:
Ford has already said there will be two models or in essence two models with the base GT500 and the Carbon Track package. Same as ZL1 and ZLE So not sure why you think there will be only 1
Their Carbon track package basically swaps out standard wheels for CF wheels and adds a few aero pieces (at least as far as we know of right now). If that's their "second model", I'm not even remotely impressed. The ZL1 1LE isn't massively different from the standard ZL1, but there is enough differences that you can never mistake the two. Even with the now added A10, it is still more than just a set of wheels and a few aero bits..
Old 04-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #1828
shaffe

Quote:
Keep in mind, I never said the car's MSRP was 90k...just that they were costing that much...

Their Carbon track package basically swaps out standard wheels for CF wheels and adds a few aero pieces (at least as far as we know of right now). If that's their "second model", I'm not even remotely impressed. The ZL1 1LE isn't massively different from the standard ZL1, but there is enough differences that you can never mistake the two. Even with the now added A10, it is still more than just a set of wheels and a few aero bits..
true you never said that. I just don't think its right to say a car that starts 73 is a 90K car.

Carbon Package includes

Carbon Fiber Track Package features rear seat delete, exposed 20-inch carbon fiber wheels with 0.5-inch wider rear wheels (11.5-inch), custom Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, adjustable exposed carbon fiber GT4 track wing and splitter wickers with integrated dive plane

So yes while I would say yes not a different model but there will be essentially 2 versions of the GT500 Much like the ZL1 and ZLE. One that is the triple threat and one that focuses on road courses

And you may very well be right on the MSRP, I just think Ford knows where it needs to sit and will get it there
Old 04-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #1829
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Fair enough. Thing is, on the S550 part of the Mustang6 forum, it's a constant discussion point. Multiple threads with hundreds, in some cases more than a thousand posts in each thread. In the Shelby GT350 part of the forum I can't recall ever seeing a single thread on tick. Other noises, yes. Some concern on piston slap, a lot of talk on oil consumption, and a couple mega-threads on engine replacements, but not a single one (that I can find) on tick.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...lity-update-3/

Basically, it boils down to a ticking sound from possible piston slap...

https://www.teamshelby.com/topic/92203-engine-tick/
Old 04-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #1830
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Lets say rumor is correct 67k for the base, add an option and gas tax you are at 70K plus tax. and that's if your lucky that someone will sell at MSRP, add a ADM, geez
You can get a 19 ZL1 for 58k.
Is 75hp worth 12k???????
Old 04-16-2019, 01:53 PM   #1831
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
I think you underestimate the appeal of the Mustang. While I am sure some buyers will have moved on, the GT500 will still command an audience and buyers simply for the fact it is a Mustang with 700 HP.
I think sometimes you and others forget the main reasons why people pay markups on certain vehicles. They do it because they think the vehicle will double or triple in value. I had one guy brag about getting a Demon at $40K over MSRP and he said it would be worth it because the car was going to make him money in the end. I'd feel bad for him right about now. Same goes with the Shelbys. People don't pay markups because there is some mystical quality to Mustangs. They pay it because they believe it will increase in value. That is why markups disappear after 2 years when the values don't increase. Same car. Just not the same value. If it was something about the car then the markups would never disappear. But that isn't the case at all.
Quote:
I also think the C8 will probably give it a run for it's money because if it doesn't I would be disappointed in the C8 more than the Mustang. I have very high expectations for the C8
I think you're just trying to give us a dose of our own medicine (as it were). The C8 will be the underdog considering that the GT500 will have a huge HP advantage, CF stuff, and is supposed to be the top of the top. A standard Vette, while potent, is NOT the top Vette. There is the Z51, GS, Z06, and the ZR1s. So really the bottom level Vette should not be beating the top Mustang especially in the same MY and especially when being overpowered by 200+ HP. The way I see it is that if the GT500 beats the Vette then it really should have. If the GT500 loses then that looks bad. It will not look bad for the standard Vette to lose to anything. My expectations is that it will beat the current ZL1's performance numbers in a straight line and will hang around a track which will be impressive for a NA 500 HP Vette.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #1832
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
Lets say rumor is correct 67k for the base, add an option and gas tax you are at 70K plus tax. and that's if your lucky that someone will sell at MSRP, add a ADM, geez
You can get a 19 ZL1 for 58k.
Is 75hp worth 12k???????
While it wouldn't be a good apples-to-apples comparison because it wouldn't be stock anymore, but I've seen an Edelbrock 2650 kit, smog-legal for CA, too, for less than $6K for ZL1. That'd be a good equalizer, HA.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:00 PM   #1833
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I don't feel like copying and pasting but in reference to the MSRP of the RE I did think it was in the $85K range and that lots of them were at $90K. So it seems like I was wrong on that and the MSRP really is $73K. The reason why I thought it was higher is because every one I've seen being sold online was around $88K to $93K. But it is a $73K vehicle which makes it more appealing to me. The only reason I wrote it off was because the price I thought it was did not seem like it was worth the 90 extra HP and especially since they aren't dynoing much higher than the Hellcats anyway. I attribute that to FCA severely underrating the Hellcats. I suspect that Hellcats were really in the 760-780 HP range stock and FCA just said it was 707. Lots of HCs dyno in the 660-680 range with some going higher. REs seem to be hanging out in the 680s and higher. So it is essentially the same car and same engine with just some extra features.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #1834
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
The Redeye is using the Demon engine and not the same unit that is in the Hellcat

"So they plunked the Demon's supercharged V-8, eight-speed automatic, and driveline bits—including the line lock and launch control but not the trans brake—into a Hellcat and added the Redeye suffix to differentiate it from lesser 707-hp (and now 717-hp) Hellcats.

Blame the Redeye's twin-snorkel hood for its slightly reduced 797-hp output. Even with the driver's-side headlamp void and an inlet near the front-left wheel liner supplementing the air supply, Dodge had to recalibrate the engine for the reduced airflow. Running race gas won't get you any more grunt, as the Redeye's ECU isn't equipped to conjure up the Demon's extra 32 ponies when fed high test."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...e-first-drive/
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote