Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #169
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by USP45 View Post

Anyone know what the boost hits stock? I never really looked...
Factory Rated for 9.4lb/0.65bar @ 6400rpm @ sealevel

Max rpm 20,150
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #170
USP45

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
Factory Rated for 9.4lb/0.65bar @ 6400rpm @ sealevel

Max rpm 20,150
Thank you sir (again)

So it is currently about 2.5lbs above stock. I *think* they are shooting for about 14lbs...

I calculate about 24k at 18% overdrive and I believe I read somewhere that 25k is the most it is rated for.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:03 PM   #171
djfury05

I completely agree if you don't HAVE to use meth, then don't. I'm glad your guinea pigging this fuel setup for me though lol.
djfury05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:54 PM   #172
USP45

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfury05 View Post
I completely agree if you don't HAVE to use meth, then don't. I'm glad your guinea pigging this fuel setup for me though lol.
Yeah, it was kind of funny but my father and I went up there on Monday while they were working on it and I noticed that two Z06's both had Alky Control systems on them, so I had to ask... "sooo, how many of the cars here have meth kits on them?" Bryan looked at me and said "umm, I think your car is the only one in here that DOESN'T have meth on it.." lol.. "well hell, so what would a meth kit cost?"

With that being said they are kind of impressed with what we are getting without meth so we'll see where it goes from here. They quoted about 2k with all stainless lines, dual nozzles and separate tank in trunk.

If I'm at 750whp without on e85 and 675 on 93 then I'll leave it alone. For my driving trips I actually think that limiting power to 675 when doing really curvy driving would be beneficial so as not to have too much power for that kind of driving would be good. Best of both worlds.

Oh, and while there my father ordered an ECS system for his 17 Grand Sport as it was killing him that I would have so much over him..
Old 09-20-2017, 10:08 PM   #173
USP45

So, it is finally tuned and back home! Finally... 710whp and 700wtq.

One thing you will notice on the graph is how it falls off pretty quickly past 6000rpm's. Right there is where we hit the octane and heat wall. Quite simply to keep the graph going up it needs meth. It was running about an e50 mix on this run, and it was the 4th or 5th run in a row with an outside temp of 95 degrees and a bit hotter on dyno. At this point Sam had to pull some timing and the iat's were getting a bit high. The fuel was there, but the little blower was just heating up the already hot air even more.

Initially I kind of thought "dang, I wish it was cooler outside when we did the tune" but then I realized that this was about as bad as it would realistically be. When we started tuning Sam asked me what I wanted and my response was "good power bit something that is safe, safe, safe." My wife and I take the car on drives and will be going to Arkansas with a car group in the middle of October. I have had a touchy, highly tuned Evo on a drive like this and the whole time I was just waiting to see what was going to break next. With this one I wanted a car that I can just get in, push the start button and drive. And when it cools down some it will just be even stronger.

So will I add meth? Don't know. When I picked the car up today it was 96 degrees outside and it is just brutal. Anything below 50mph just spins the tires. At 60mph and punch it.... well it is just hard to explain. I guess my earlier adjective is the most apt, it is simply brutal. Harsh even. It downshifts and snaps your neck back. Then it runs through the gears and pulls, and pulls, and keeps on pulling.... I have to recalibrate my right foot. So would adding another point of potential failure be worth gaining another 40-60whp? I will really have to think about that.

One thing to look at is the tq curve... it just sits at 700. I started to accelerate out of a few corners this afternoon and I had to completely adjust how I rolled on the throttle.

I took my wife on a quick ride when I got home.... she just giggled and screamed... It literally snapped her neck back when I punched it at 55, and the back end was just squiggling around.

This whole build has been a blast. Some of it was a pia, but we did it, in my garage, and it runs hard. It will make more if I add meth, but not sure I want to. Sam estimates about 650-675whp on 93, and that will be more than enough for curvy road driving. So in the next month or so I'll decide on meth, but in the meantime I am going to enjoy it as it sits. I'll have to make a video of it running through the gears, but it is amazing how quickly it snaps through them right now!
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2017, 10:25 PM   #174
TheElementalCashew

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Sweet build and results man! Definitely solid numbers, and I bet it feels great!

Mods: Rotofab CAI, Tony Mamo TB, Kooks headers (green cats), 18% LPE lower pulley, E85/FlexFuel sensor. BC Forged RS41s (19x10, 19x12)/PS4S, R888R (305/325)
Dyno: E40: 661whp/703wtq, 93: 633whp/674wtq

TheElementalCashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:00 AM   #175
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Glad to hear you're getting good numbers, Nice work!
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:41 AM   #176
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Great results! Thanks for letting us “ride along” on the build and for kicking off the Tony Mamo ported throttle body.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:23 AM   #177
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
What a great thread and build job by you and your wife. E content still could be bumped up a bit and that might help, but I'd tend to not push it further if it was me. There is only so much power you can effectively put down on the ground, unless your going for a drag strip only car.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:29 AM   #178
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
How much do you think you spent on the upgrade to reach this power level?

I saw your estimate, but curious if that is where you wound up.

Any regrets not doing a blower swap instead?

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #179
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Well done!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #180
USP45

Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
How much do you think you spent on the upgrade to reach this power level?

I saw your estimate, but curious if that is where you wound up.

Any regrets not doing a blower swap instead?
Right now I am right around 10k including tune, various bits and pieces I had to buy etc. This number would be substantially higher had I paid someone to do the work, and this is pretty all inclusive from the throttle body I did first to oil, coolant, I had to replace one head gasket when the stud broke etc. Tried not to leave any costs out. Had I installed the fuel pump myself it would have been a bit lower as well.

I do not regret not doing a blower swap as I see this as kind of a foundation to possibly do one later, and if anything I might go with a ProCharger simply to keep some of the torque off of the bottom end. Right now at *only* 700wtq I can hardly keep the tires from spinning and its a bit touchy accelerating out of a corner. I guess the pedal movement-to-result deal in my foot needs to be adjusted... There is just so much down low now. If I do a ProCharger I would just use the air-to-air IC as I just do not think the air-to-water system that was done on the Vengeance build looks like a good road course track type setup with the way the tanks cover the other heat exchangers up front.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #181
USP45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
What a great thread and build job by you and your wife. E content still could be bumped up a bit and that might help, but I'd tend to not push it further if it was me. There is only so much power you can effectively put down on the ground, unless your going for a drag strip only car.
I actually tend to agree, just hate how the top end rolled off when I know the components are there to support it. I may put it back on the original dyno that I used to get my baseline when it cools off to similar conditions just to get a better A to B look at the actual changes.

I'll probably wait until after our driving trip in October to see what I think and then decide if I want to just leave it or what. I will say that there is nearly too much low end right now, the PD blower is fun but it is very stout on the bottom...
Old 09-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #182
Rlhay2

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Right now at *only* 700wtq I can hardly keep the tires from spinning and its a bit touchy accelerating out of a corner.

If I do a ProCharger I would just use the air-to-air IC
At that power level drag radials become a necessity!
And A2W intercoolers are great when drag racing but for track days goofing around on the street air-to-air works very well, with less parts to fail and cause problems.

Quote:
I actually tend to agree, just hate how the top end rolled off
Yesterday was a terrible DA day! Try it again next week!
Rlhay2 is offline   Reply With Quote