Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-16-2024, 09:22 AM   #155
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamero6 View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't believe in warranties? Specially extended

I've read some nasty stories about them, has anyone actually used it and had a good experience?
I've never bought an extended warranty for a car, and never regretted it.

I've never owned a car in the last 20 years that needed more than a few hundred dollars in out of pocket repairs. $3K pays for a lot of repairs, unless something big like an engine or tranny fails. There is a reason they push them so hard, and it isn't because they are concerned about you or your car.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:53 AM   #156
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
I usually buy extended warranties on 'new-ish' cars... full well knowing the numbers are against me, but I'm very conservative in general.

Had one for my Audi A7, cost me $2100, only paid out around $1200 in fixing a faulty GPS connector / cable.
Had one for MrsCurr's Audi TT convertible, and never used it. Cost me $2000.
Have one for my 22 ZL1, and it cost me $2300... I might cancel it in the future if I decide the car isn't fast enough for me, but right now I don't see that happening.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 12:37 PM   #157
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
Have one for my 22 ZL1, and it cost me $2300... I might cancel it in the future if I decide the car isn't fast enough for me, but right now I don't see that happening.
Man this really made me chuckle. I’m in a similar boat with my SS 1le. I’m pretty sure it’s not fast enough so no extended warranty for me. If I decide that it is (which is unlikely) then I will definitely get one.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 12:26 AM   #158
Blackrat

Drives: 2021 ZLE & 1972 Camaro
Just a follow up, I noticed my voice command mic wasn't working. At the same time the native GPS has never updated from when I bought the car. I figured that was attributable to me not having OnStar. I used android auto and waze so I never tripped on it. Turns out it's some module under the dash related to OnStar that stopped working is the cause of the mic failure and also possibly the navigation. According to the SA if I didn't have the warranty its roughly $1k to replace it and there was going to be a $600 diagnosis fee alone. Warranty already paid for itself. I have a love/hate relationship (mostly hate) with new vehicles due to all the layered electronics packed into them. My purchase of the extended warranty was less about anything mechanical and more about all the magical electronic bits I would have no clue figuring out how to begin to troubleshoot.

Side note, per the SA if the car was stolen apparently they wouldn't have been able to locate it either due to the faulty module. Given the data leakage to insurance companies that's recently come to light maybe it was a good thing it wasn't working.
Blackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 08:21 AM   #159
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:

I've read some nasty stories about them, has anyone actually used it and had a good experience?
No... they are a complete rip-off.

There I said it
Old 05-18-2024, 09:59 AM   #160
CAMARO_HEAVEN
Big John

Drives: Wife 2013 Camaro 2SSRS / ME?
Quote:

I had to use one on my old car for complete AC system rebuild and with that the warranty paid for itself and then some. I forget what else I ended up using it for so I am a believer.
CAMARO_HEAVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 04:05 PM   #161
Tyrolblue67

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Camaro
I'm thinking if it's an actual GM extended warranty, it might be less risky than outside companies selling them.
But, you can't mod the car (which is ok with me) and you have to deal with the GM dealership service department.
Tyrolblue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 07:33 PM   #162
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrat View Post
Side note, per the SA if the car was stolen apparently they wouldn't have been able to locate it either due to the faulty module. Given the data leakage to insurance companies that's recently come to light maybe it was a good thing it wasn't working.
They wouldn’t have been able to locate it regardless. Every thief knows to pull the fuse for onstar. Do NOT rely on onstar locating the car for you after theft.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 09:18 PM   #163
Blackrat

Drives: 2021 ZLE & 1972 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
They wouldn’t have been able to locate it regardless. Every thief knows to pull the fuse for onstar. Do NOT rely on onstar locating the car for you after theft.
Oh I'm aware. My OnStar statement was strictly related to how their tracking info was getting leaked and that having the module go bad might have prevented my driving habits from being collected.

Even if they didn't pull it I wouldn't ever expect to see my car again. Friend had his TRX stolen and the thieves left all the tracking active. Authorities just watched it head south to Mexico.
Blackrat is offline   Reply With Quote