Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-16-2023, 11:37 AM   #141
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Regs are put into place as a direct result of harm done.

For example, leaded gas has measurably decreased IQ levels of generations, thank god it isn't allowed any longer, we were literally poisoning ourselves. Same with the clean air act, it prevented us from doing ourselves great harm.

It is absolutely true that regs are often overbearing, they waste time and money, they are used for political purposes, etc... This is because they are implemented by imperfect human beings, everything we do is flawed to some degree. So there's no doubt we can do better, but the answer is to improve the system, not simply get rid of it.

Another example is the recent bank failures are a direct result of deregulation. And with all the train derailment issues and the fact a whole town was just poisoned by toxic cargo... maybe we need to look into regulating that industry a bit more? Sometimes there are no easy answers.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:42 AM   #142
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post

For example, leaded gas has measurably decreased IQ levels of generations, thank god it isn't allowed any longer, we were literally poisoning ourselves. Same with the clean air act, it prevented us from doing ourselves great harm.

It is absolutely true that regs are often overbearing, they waste time and money, they are used for political purposes, etc... This is because they are implemented by imperfect human beings, everything we do is flawed to some degree. So there's no doubt we can do better, but the answer is to improve the system, not simply get rid of it.

Another example is the recent bank failures are a direct result of deregulation. And with all the train derailment issues and the fact a whole town was just poisoned by toxic cargo... maybe we need to look into regulating that industry a bit more? Sometimes there are no easy answers.
I don't want to take this thread too far off the rails, but bank failures are not caused by insufficient regulation.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 11:42 AM   #143
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 TransAm that never was View Post
In all cases employees can quickly shut the line down and correct anything that is wrong. It's when the government gets involved that I take issue with. I've seen numerous instances where the computers f-up, go down for unexplained reasons, etc. and when this occurs the line automatically shuts down even though employees can still do their job, do it safely, and without any risk to the consumer.
Perhaps I should have been more specific when it comes to wheel assembly, my bad. Numerous times we lost hours of production due to government mandated computers that forced us to document everything to do with the tires, from mounting to final assembly. If a car company can't manufacture a safe vehicle without the governments interference, then they won't be in business long. But, when an assembly plant is micro managed by computers it's prone to way too many computer errors.

We'll have to agree to disagree about air bags. However if you were to look back at their history you'll find that air bags came into play the same time as CAFE standards. Why is that? Because government mandated CAFE standards were impossible to meet without manufacturers lightening the weight of the vehicle with thinner steel and plastics making those vehicles unsafe to ride in.

Government CAFE standards are exactly what is forcing manufacturers to switch over to electric vehicles. Manufacturers aren't switching because of consumer demand, they're being forced to switch due to ever rising CAFE standards. And the government is subsidizing what they've forced manufacturers to do.
Thanks a lot for the additional insight

I was still a teenager when airbags were mandated and didn't pay much attention to the fact, but now I'm curious what your alternative solution would be. Thinner steel and plastic panels/bumpers also led to improved crumple zones that absorb a good chunk of kinetic crash energy, another chunk is picked up by the airbag(s), so the energy that does reach the driver and passengers is much less.

As an overall result, crashes are much more survivable with fewer and less severe injuries in modern cars, I don't think that is even worth debating (see a testimony at https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523530), but if airbags were not mandated, do you think the same amount of development would've happened and we'd still have the same or better technology?

I'm asking because I'm thinking of the Walmart mentality that began to soar at roughly the same time, ie more and more people began buying whatever was the cheapest, disregarding practically everything else. Would this not apply to airbag and crumple zone equipped vehicles whose manufacturers would then become boutique or go out of business?

Quote:

These are very good examples, I'm not sure about those bank failures, but that's just ignorance on my part, you may or may not be right with that as well. The general problem is very nuanced.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 01:05 PM   #144
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
SVB bought long term fixed rate bonds in a rising interest rate environment. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that won't work.

Customers see SVB paying little to no interest on their deposits while government bonds are just as safe and are paying considerably more, so they pull their deposits.

The inflation reduction act, reckless deficit spending (I repeat myself) and the FED raising interest rates have a lot more to do with SVB failing than a lack of regulation.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 01:20 PM   #145
79 TransAm that never was

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1 6.2 MT6
You are 100% correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
I don't want to take this thread too far off the rails, but bank failures are not caused by insufficient regulation.
Banks are the highest regulated business in America.
It didn't go unnoticed how quickly the millionaires at SVB were bailed out. OVERNIGHT!
Yet those in East Palestine OH still haven't been visited weeks after the disaster...
79 TransAm that never was is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 01:25 PM   #146
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 TransAm that never was View Post
Banks are the highest regulated business in America.
It didn't go unnoticed how quickly the millionaires at SVB were bailed out. OVERNIGHT!
Yet those in East Palestine OH still haven't been visited weeks after the disaster...
Trump visited them

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 03:05 PM   #147
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
SVB bought long term fixed rate bonds in a rising interest rate environment. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that won't work.

Customers see SVB paying little to no interest on their deposits while government bonds are just as safe and are paying considerably more, so they pull their deposits.

The inflation reduction act, reckless deficit spending (I repeat myself) and the FED raising interest rates have a lot more to do with SVB failing than a lack of regulation.
The regs removed were stress testing implemented as a result of '08. If there had been stress testing, they wouldn't have passed. So there were no longer regs preventing them from making very poor investment decisions, their customers saw this and we know the result.

To run a bank requires some level of competency which it seems SVB lacked.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:51 PM   #148
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quick Cliff Note version of this thread: I love my Camaro but I wouldn't ride on a chemical train through Ohio if I was attempting to make a deposit at a California bank.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:54 PM   #149
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quick Cliff Note seems legit
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 03:54 PM   #150
Mark R

Quote:
The regs removed were stress testing implemented as a result of '08. If there had been stress testing, they wouldn't have passed. So there were no longer regs preventing them from making very poor investment decisions, their customers saw this and we know the result.

To run a bank requires some level of competency which it seems SVB lacked.
For sure. Apparently, they had their risk management position vacant for many months before the collapse. That right there might have prevented their downfall, as they could have hedged their risks and not had problems.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:56 PM   #151
Mark R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Quick Cliff Note version of this thread: I love my Camaro but I wouldn't ride on a chemical train through Ohio if I was attempting to make a deposit at a California bank.
LOL. But could you drive your Camaro through the chemical spill on your way to California to save that bank? That is the question on my mind.
Old 03-16-2023, 05:26 PM   #152
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingJess View Post
My protein shaker bottle doesn’t even fit in the cup holder. I still love my car but would be nice to have decent cup holders
We both know that protein would mix a lot better in your blender at home and you could drink it there or fit it blended into a bottle that works with the car lol. Don't be that BRO with the shaker bottle, don't do it bro!!!!
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 05:27 PM   #153
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Yep, this thread derailed rather quickly
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 07:16 PM   #154
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matos1LE View Post
Yep, this thread derailed rather quickly
Au contraire, I think it's still very much on track

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote