Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-31-2016, 02:23 PM   #1
Waylong

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Paddle Shifter delay

My paddle shifter on my 17 SS has more delay than the floor shifter. This normal? Seems like it is a relay or a programming issue. It shifts about 3-400 RPM after my intinal touch.
Waylong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylong View Post
My paddle shifter on my 17 SS has more delay than the floor shifter. This normal? Seems like it is a relay or a programming issue. It shifts about 3-400 RPM after my intinal touch.
Pretty sure mine match. If anything the floor one feels slower. Although neither are especially quick. I'll try mine in an hour on my way home.

Theoretically they should be exactly the same.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:32 PM   #3
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
I've noticed that as well but it may be based on the mode you're in. Try changing the driving mode to sport or track and see if it's any faster.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:44 PM   #4
Waylong

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Thumbs up

I have played around with it in the different modes. All the same. When WOT need to paddle it @ 5900 to hit before rev limiter, so really its about 500 RPM + or - before shift.

We have a Macan Turbo with the PDK, it shifts faster than a blink both up and down. I know different transmissions but the Camaro just feels sluggish in shifting when done manual.
Waylong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:54 PM   #5
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylong View Post
I have played around with it in the different modes. All the same. When WOT need to paddle it @ 5900 to hit before rev limiter, so really its about 500 RPM + or - before shift.

We have a Macan Turbo with the PDK, it shifts faster than a blink both up and down. I know different transmissions but the Camaro just feels sluggish in shifting when done manual.
Do a search on here. I think this has been discussed before. I know it's not as fast as the challenger and I'm fairly sure there have been a few complaints.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
Old 10-31-2016, 04:01 PM   #6
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
I'm pretty sure the only way to fix this is with a tune.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:18 PM   #7
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan1LTRS View Post
I'm pretty sure the only way to fix this is with a tune.
Again, this is just from memory but I think the delay is electrical and not in a tune. I think it was mentioned that there is a built in delay or something. I can't remember if I read all of this here or somewhere else.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:45 PM   #8
sub_ETCS_ret

Read through this thread:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...t=paddle+delay
Old 11-01-2016, 07:20 AM   #9
LesBaer
FMPG

Before I bought my car I test drove a 2016 A8 and definitely noticed the same thing. To me it felt like it up-shifted quicker than it downshifted. From what I've read, you're better off just letting the car shift itself instead of using the paddles.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #10
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
Before I bought my car I test drove a 2016 A8 and definitely noticed the same thing. To me it felt like it up-shifted quicker than it downshifted. From what I've read, you're better off just letting the car shift itself instead of using the paddles.
You're correct. The paddles are a neat novelty and especially handy when you want a to quick downshift or to hold a gear when going through some canyons. If you're looking for speed just let the car do the work. It's an incredibly smart transmission.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:47 PM   #11
SGDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
I've noticed that as well but it may be based on the mode you're in. Try changing the driving mode to sport or track and see if it's any faster.
Good point, I will try different modes. I prefer letting the car to do its job, it shifts harder at about 6200 after a tune.

Who Dares...Wins
SGDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:13 PM   #12
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
I tried both ways on the track, it's more efficient and quicker if you let it do the shifting....some areas of the track I have to go into manual to keep the revs high...but it seems to overheat faster going manual for some reason. oh yea mine's a V6 A8.
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #13
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
I'm probably not using the right terms, but, there are two types of paddle shifts, a serial and direct. I believe GM uses a serial connection which goes through and verifies the shift, then shifts.
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote