Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-19-2016, 10:42 AM   #15
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junga View Post
I really enjoyed both cars and I know the differences between them. The main reason that I am unsure about the Camaro is that I have never had a two seat car before. I wouldn't want to buy a 40K plus car and have regret. That being said, I overthink things a lot and I am single and in my 20s. So there is almost no better time to get the two seat muscle car. The Camaro is much more fun and wouldn't bug me as a daily driver I do not believe. I just wanted other opinions. Different opinions will help me see the picture in a different way. Thanks!
I think it is a worthwhile comparison. I love so many different classes of cars- muscle cars, hot hatches, exotics, fast suvs, trucks, etc. Just because these two cars are dissimilar doesn't mean you're crazy for wanting to compare the two.

I think some questions you have to ask yourself are:
-How often do I have more than 1 passenger in my car?
-Do I use my car to get large purchases from the store?
-Do I have easy access to a vehicle that is more practical in those rare instances when I need more space?
-Can I afford the payment/payments and insurance on a Camaro?

The camaro isn't 2 seats- it has 2 comfortable seats and 2 seats for children/little people. I make it work because I have 2 other vehicles. That said, I could have easily made it work from the age of 22 on up. Well, except for finances lol.
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #16
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
FORE!!!!

A 'FORE' cylinder vs a snowman...

get the Golf
Old 05-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #17
GP86

Drives: 2017 2SS
I think I understand and recently experienced your situation. I am in my (late) 20s, single, no kids, great job. I was looking for a car that would be unique, exciting, and practical. I ultimately decided that "practical" does not matter due to the 4 items I listed prior.

I looked into used Audi S5, BMW M3, used last gen Cadillac CTS-V, current gen CTS-V Sport, Cadillac ATS Coupe, and Ford Fusion Sport. I ruled out the German vehicles due to exorbitant maintenance costs. I was dead set on the ATS Coupe or used CTS V-Sport. I really hate their interiors and they don't necessarily reflect all of the excitement I need. However, driving the ATS Coupe felt perfect from a dynamics standpoint. It just needed more power when channeling my frustrations through my right foot.

It was at that time that I looked into the Camaro. I've heard people say it's what the Cadillac ATS-V should be... the Alpha platform with a V8. I need a car that will be comfortable to drive because I drive a lot for my job. I also need a car that will be exciting when the situation arises. I think I can get both of these things with the Camaro. The car will be impractical for most situations, but the time for me to be capable of dealing with this physically and mentally is now. Not when I'm having a mid-life crisis.

I never considered the Golf-R because I don't find it unique. It seems to be the default selection for someone who only wants to explain their "rational" choice to someone else who questions it. I think the Camaro is a unique vehicle because of its capability to manage power and dynamics. Historically there is an expectation that a Camaro cannot handle effectively. That is no longer true. GM really knocked it out of the park with this one.

This is ultimately a personal decision for you. Either way I don't think you could make a poor choice with the vehicles you've narrowed your search to. I don't think your selections are too far disconnected as some others have said. There are so many vehicle choices that one can find a situation to make anything a "rational" choice. From a perspective of performance, safety, and features, this is a really great time to have a new vehicle.

Oddly enough I was at the Detroit GP at Belle Isle last year right after they debuted the Camaro. They had them on display and I looked at one closely and said to my buddy, "Meh, it really doesn't do anything for me." Now 1 year later I have ordered almost exactly that same vehicle.
GP86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #18
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
There is no question but that they Golf is a great car, but it seems unreasonable to cross shop that to a Camaro 2SS. To me they are totally different in almost every area. Fuel mileage is a relevant thing, in my opinion. If I want to, I can average very close to 30 MPG on the highway and sometimes more. Google VW "Golf R fuel mileage" and it tells me the VW is rated at 23 city and 30 highway. I didn't check it out, but I'm pretty sure the Golf will NOT run low 12s in the quarter.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:11 PM   #19
clanky
Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro 2S

Drives: 16 Hyper Blue2SS NPP MagRide 6M NAV
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junga View Post
How so Flyer? I really enjoyed both cars and I know the differences between them. The main reason that I am unsure about the Camaro is that I have never had a two seat car before. I wouldn't want to buy a 40K plus car and have regret. That being said, I overthink things a lot and I am single and in my 20s. So there is almost no better time to get the two seat muscle car. The Camaro is much more fun and wouldn't bug me as a daily driver I do not believe. I just wanted other opinions. Different opinions will help me see the picture in a different way. Thanks!
Well being on the camaro forums think it's safe to say that the majority is going to say get a camaro. One thing to look into though is car insurance. If it was me back @ 20 with no strings. It would be a vette, if no vette then the next best thing would be a Camaro. But.. i'm not you, only you can choose what you like. Get what makes you happy life is short!
clanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #20
Lukemo

Drives: '17 1LT RS V6 6M NPP
Why don't you look at the Chevy SS? It has all the "pros" of both cars for about the same price as a 2SS.
Lukemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #21
Junga

Drives: Future Camparo owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP86 View Post
I think I understand and recently experienced your situation. I am in my (late) 20s, single, no kids, great job. I was looking for a car that would be unique, exciting, and practical. I ultimately decided that "practical" does not matter due to the 4 items I listed prior.

I looked into used Audi S5, BMW M3, used last gen Cadillac CTS-V, current gen CTS-V Sport, Cadillac ATS Coupe, and Ford Fusion Sport. I ruled out the German vehicles due to exorbitant maintenance costs. I was dead set on the ATS Coupe or used CTS V-Sport. I really hate their interiors and they don't necessarily reflect all of the excitement I need. However, driving the ATS Coupe felt perfect from a dynamics standpoint. It just needed more power when channeling my frustrations through my right foot.

It was at that time that I looked into the Camaro. I've heard people say it's what the Cadillac ATS-V should be... the Alpha platform with a V8. I need a car that will be comfortable to drive because I drive a lot for my job. I also need a car that will be exciting when the situation arises. I think I can get both of these things with the Camaro. The car will be impractical for most situations, but the time for me to be capable of dealing with this physically and mentally is now. Not when I'm having a mid-life crisis.

I never considered the Golf-R because I don't find it unique. It seems to be the default selection for someone who only wants to explain their "rational" choice to someone else who questions it. I think the Camaro is a unique vehicle because of its capability to manage power and dynamics. Historically there is an expectation that a Camaro cannot handle effectively. That is no longer true. GM really knocked it out of the park with this one.

This is ultimately a personal decision for you. Either way I don't think you could make a poor choice with the vehicles you've narrowed your search to. I don't think your selections are too far disconnected as some others have said. There are so many vehicle choices that one can find a situation to make anything a "rational" choice. From a perspective of performance, safety, and features, this is a really great time to have a new vehicle.

Oddly enough I was at the Detroit GP at Belle Isle last year right after they debuted the Camaro. They had them on display and I looked at one closely and said to my buddy, "Meh, it really doesn't do anything for me." Now 1 year later I have ordered almost exactly that same vehicle.
It is funny that you mention the rational choice. I think if I got the Golf R it wold be to rationalize. It fits the all around billet, etc.
I think car insurance is 143 for camaro and I have a clean record. I live at home and have a well paying job. I am banking money right now. I only have a select group of friends in the area and some out of state that I drive to. My family has an SUV and a truck and so does a friend and family friend so I can move stuff if need be or God forbid have to pay a few bucks for a u haul haha. I don't make big purchases because I am a saver and I don't own my own home yet. This is why I feel like even though the two seater is a little impractical, there is no better time than now haha.

The VW was nice and it was fast but the Camaro was a blast, it screamed, accelerated, was nice inside and outside. The mustang I test drove was meh. My mom drove in both with me and compared the mustang to a Camry compared to the SS. The SS sounded mean and it filled you back when it accelerated. The handled was great too. I feel like my decision is made up, I hate the idea of spending so much money on ANYTHING. Haha I'll have to do it though. Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll probably make another post closer to purchase.
Junga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #22
clanky
Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro 2S

Drives: 16 Hyper Blue2SS NPP MagRide 6M NAV
Ha well from that last post it seems you made up your mind! Can't wait to see the camaro!

Also that seems like one good deal on your insurance at your age! Although in my teens I didn't have what you would call... a clean record...hehe.
clanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #23
EstebanVerde

Drives: 16 2SS Camaro
I commute in my 2SS. It's been a couple months and I'm still excited to drive it to work every day. I'd say go with the car that you will be excited to be in.
EstebanVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:30 PM   #24
tone228

Drives: 2SS
Did you make the same thread over on Vortex? I think the best thing to do is to drive both cars for yourself and get what you like. I have a mk7 Golf R and as you can tell most people don't realize how capable it is. Mine is APR stage 2 and is a little quicker than a stock Gen 6 Camaro SS. But numbers and the way a car feels is two different things. The R is loads of fun, especially after a couple of simple mods, but in my opinion nothing can compare to rwd and a V8. I haven't driven the Gen 6 but I do plan on getting one as my next car. Golf R handles amazing and is really confidence inspiring even at high speeds in wet weather. But it looks like an economy car although that is the appeal for some. Take your time deciding cause buyers remorse sucks.
tone228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #25
Junga

Drives: Future Camparo owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone228 View Post
Did you make the same thread over on Vortex? I think the best thing to do is to drive both cars for yourself and get what you like. I have a mk7 Golf R and as you can tell most people don't realize how capable it is. Mine is APR stage 2 and is a little quicker than a stock Gen 6 Camaro SS. But numbers and the way a car feels is two different things. The R is loads of fun, especially after a couple of simple mods, but in my opinion nothing can compare to rwd and a V8. I haven't driven the Gen 6 but I do plan on getting one as my next car. Golf R handles amazing and is really confidence inspiring even at high speeds in wet weather. But it looks like an economy car although that is the appeal for some. Take your time deciding cause buyers remorse sucks.
I did! They were loads of help there and a great group. No one was ignorant and a few even said go for the Camaro haha. Yeah I have a few months until I pull the trigger. I'll have to do some research now and see if the MRC is worth the money and if I can feel a difference driving one with it and one without it.
Junga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #26
Carver60

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS
Funny enough, I was looking at a similar situation myself. I had always wanted an Audi and when the new S3 (built with the same chassis and motor as the Golf R) came out I knew I wanted one. I test drove it multiple times and liked how it handled, looked, the interior was decent and the price was good. I put my deposit down and was waiting about 2 weeks before picking it up.

Then when I was dropping off my leased Cruze at the dealership, my boyfriend pointed out his favourite car, the Camaro 6. I looked at it, looked at the price and decided that was the car for me. It was less money than the S3, got way more attention, was bad a**, and was fun to drive.

All in all, I'm glad I didnt buy an S3 but sometimes I wish I had more trunk/cargo space. Luckily my boyfriend drives a VW GTI and we haul people and stuff in that.

Hope that helps,
Old 05-19-2016, 07:03 PM   #27
diirk

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I understand the quandary. I was torn between a BRZ and a Mustang GT. I went with the BRZ since it would be less expensive to track. I ended up supercharging it. LOL. Was a lot of fun.

Then went to an Audi S5. Awesome car. AWD is the bomb and whatever they say, it's a ton of fun. I tracked it too. Best lap times ever in that car.

So the Golf R. I almost bought one. Really a cool car and could be a total blast to drive. Has the practicality for a good DD. Tons of upgrades to really make it faster and handle better. Lots of after market support. A really decent organized group of dedicated owners. You just have to drive them both back to back and see which one checks the box for you.
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:51 PM   #28
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
The '17 awd turbo v6 fusion is coming too. 325hp, 350tq, $33k

If you don't have kids though, 1ss with npp, have fun while you can.