Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 08-12-2015, 10:07 PM   #15
Clearly_Canadian

Drives: 2017 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
That is a shame, still the best music media out there, even if it is over 30 years old.
yea..... so are 8 tracks and LP's
Clearly_Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:23 PM   #16
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearly_Canadian View Post
You clearly have not read the three prior posts.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #17
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearly_Canadian View Post
Ask any audiophile about how they feel about compressed audio files like .mp3 compared to CD with uncompressed audio on it
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #18
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
CDs better than what we have now. Vinyl best, other than live, but a turntable takes up a lot of room in a car. Should have CD input of some form for the CD rippers left out there
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:42 PM   #19
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
CDs better than what we have now. Vinyl best, other than live, but a turntable takes up a lot of room in a car. Should have CD input of some form for the CD rippers left out there
Or at least have it as an option, Cadillac still doing it.
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:16 PM   #20
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I don't even own any CDs anymore. It's all on my phone.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:34 AM   #21
Android42019
The Black Emerald

Drives: '17 ZL1, '08 Trailblazer, '11 1LTRS
Just saying but it's not been that long since they had a CD player in them...this 2014 I have for a loaner has the old radio with CD player in it....
Old 08-13-2015, 06:48 AM   #22
kudzu71

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
AMEN AMEN AMEN. I recently tried to put the factory cd player in my 2014 SS and found out that you can't do it. GM won't make the VIN switch for you because of some nonsense with the ECM. Makes me wish I'd done a bit more research before I bought the car. If I'd known I'd have gotten a used one instead with CD.

I tried using a USB stick for a while but I kept losing the damn things when I'd take them inside to load more songs on them. There are 3 USB sticks hidden in my house somewhere. I blame the cats.

So until someone makes a dash kit that doesn't look like someone hot glued a shoebox to the dash I'm stuck with using my iPhone with the wonderful system known as MyLink. I weep quietly at night.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:57 AM   #23
fastball
Banned

Who'd a thought my old Panasonic portable CD player with the car kit from 1995 would ever be needed again? It's been in storage since I bought my house in 2004. I'm gonna have to get it out, dust it off, and see if it works.

It has 20 second anti-skip memory!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:08 AM   #24
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
While I agree that uncompressed .wav files on a CD do provide more accurate sound, I can't help but remember when CD's came out, and for a decade afterwords, all the audiophiles trashed how CD's sounded. Now CD's are great to audiophiles???

For the record (no pun intneded) I build home-designed amplifiers from vacuum tube technology as a hobby.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:13 AM   #25
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
At the risk of getting into arguments with people, I'm a tech savy person in clinical engineering at a local hospital, so I am aware of the simplicity, ease, and handiness of having your music collection on your iPhone and syncing it via bluetooth to your car stereo, eliminating the need for CDs. I get it.

However, as an audiophile I remain adamant that CD is better in sound quality than any compressed file on a microchip. I actually understand how audio compression works, which even makes me hate it more.

Get Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon 30th anniversary hybrid CD/5.1 SACD. Load it on to your iPhone. Take the disk and play it in your car and switch back and forth between your iPhone and the CD - oh wait, you can't on the Camaro..... well, do it in your home stereo.

You'll hear a difference. Does it matter to you? Probably not, because most people don't listen to the music, they just bop along to the tune. There is a segment during "Time" where Rick Wright's keyboards come through in the right channel as David Gilmour goes up an octave in his guitar solo so perfectly you get chills down your spine. It's right on the 16th bar of the solo, when he goes way up. On my iPhone it does not have the same affect as it does from the CD source. That's just one instance.

GM should make a CD player option to put in the glove box, like they have for the CTS and ATS. For $100 you can get a CD player on those cars.

Besides, I don't have the time or space in my iPhone to sit here and load all 400+ CDs in my collection on to the phone.
From personal experience, I feel like using a USB with high quality .mp3s gives you the same quality (or better, honestly) as a CD. I haven't tried using bluetooth in a while, as every time I have, the quality seems to be worse than a CD / USB. I would try a USB with mp3s @ 320 and see if you like that better than over bluetooth. Not sure if the head unit in the camaro will be able to play FLAC but you could use those if it does (not that I've ever heard any noticeable difference between FLAC and mp3s @ 320).

Not to mention, you could easily (well, initially it would take some time) load all 400+ of your CDs onto a USB, either thumb drive or external hard drive, and have all of your music with you. Let's be real, you won't be driving around with 400 CDs in your car
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:24 AM   #26
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
While I agree that uncompressed .wav files on a CD do provide more accurate sound, I can't help but remember when CD's came out, and for a decade afterwords, all the audiophiles trashed how CD's sounded. Now CD's are great to audiophiles???

For the record (no pun intneded) I build home-designed amplifiers from vacuum tube technology as a hobby.
If you're thinking about the first generation of CDs, you are absolutely right. They were horrible, because they were direct transfers off of sometimes a two or three time bounced down recording from the master. But once they started remastering albums off the original master tapes, starting in the early 90s, the remasters brought everything to life.

I have the Beatles albums on both first gen CD and the remasters from 2009. The difference is beyond unbelievable. The clarity, the separation of their instruments, and their amazing harmonies really shine and come to life like you are in the studio with them listening as they record it.

You my friend have an awesome hobby..... as Hank Williams Jr. once said - "Get me an amp with some tuuuuubes in it!"
Old 08-13-2015, 09:00 AM   #27
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
If you're thinking about the first generation of CDs, you are absolutely right. They were horrible, because they were direct transfers off of sometimes a two or three time bounced down recording from the master. But once they started remastering albums off the original master tapes, starting in the early 90s, the remasters brought everything to life.

I have the Beatles albums on both first gen CD and the remasters from 2009. The difference is beyond unbelievable. The clarity, the separation of their instruments, and their amazing harmonies really shine and come to life like you are in the studio with them listening as they record it.

You my friend have an awesome hobby..... as Hank Williams Jr. once said - "Get me an amp with some tuuuuubes in it!"
Even in the 90's there were some initial folks even recording in digital (they were marked DDD rather than AAD) like the band Rush. But even back then, there were audiophiles claiming that digitizing the music in and of iteself ruined the music. I don't feel that way, but it's funny how things turn out.

Yes, building the amps are fun, but time consuming. I have only built guitar amplifiers so far, but have already designed a low watt audio amp based on some tubes I got from an estate sale that need a good home. The first guitar amp I built was just a get your feet wet beginner type project, but it had better tone that 95% of the equipment you can buy today. That got me hooked. Wish I had more time/money.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:10 AM   #28
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
I think it is worth noting that a car driving down the road is far from an ideal audio environment. Couple that with OEM speakers that really aren't that amazing in response and poorly designed factory H/Us, and I don't think anyone should expect to hear much of a difference in CD vs good quality mp3 over USB. At home with a good audio setup and better environment, yes. If you are an audiophile, you will always be better offer replacing the factory components anyway. The real tragedy is how much the factory systems are integrated into the cars today making replacement much more difficult.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote