Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #211
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

Drives: 07Taho, 11CamaroRS, 12CTSV Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
your opinion too, your biased GM opinion, most people, including the mags, find the Charger interior a very good one, high quality, and is just as good as the SS interior whether you want it to be or not. And again, the black on the front end is the person's choice, they also come with that portion body color if preferred. Again, I actually like understated, to a point and the SS just has nothing to realy set it apart from looking like a G8 and 2013 Impala had a baby. The fact is that GMs other offerings are what puts the SS style in a bad light. the CTS, the Impala, the ATS ALL do elegance AND aggressive better than the SS, yes I said the 14 Impala looks more aggressive than the SS because it does. And please don't compare the SS interior to the new CTS interior, there truly is no comparison there.
Gotta be honest with U.. I have YET to see any magazine compare the two interiors.. as I believe GM has YET to release one out for the comparison..

My observations from the NYIAS was that the SS is using materials that damn near could go in a Cadillac. The Leather was quite nice.. the layout?? stunning. The interior decor was quite nice, and I really think that the idea of the SS being more of a 5series alternative in Australia came ring thru quite well when they exported it here. I'm not comparing the '14 CTS interior to the SS.. Where did U get that from? I will say that the materials of the SS are very much on par with those in my '12 CTS-V Coupe that cost $30K more. But Cadillac did for the '14 VSport and ELR at the NYIAS.. move Caddy up two more notches over what I have in my garage.

Again I think U are missing the point of the SS. It is not a car that GM seems to have marketed towards the bench racers who will most likely not buy the car in the first place. At $45K I speculate that the age demo will be more in the 40+ age range.. and quite frankly a lot of us simply don't want a car that is constantly associated with the "bad area of town."
Cmicasa the Great XvX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #212
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

I would like to also add that this car looks more "Bland" than the SS in that color.. leading me to think that SILVER is a great deal of the culprit in these silly comments about a car very few have ever seen in person

Old 06-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #213
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmicasa the Great XvX View Post
Gotta be honest with U.. I have YET to see any magazine compare the two interiors.. as I believe GM has YET to release one out for the comparison..

My observations from the NYIAS was that the SS is using materials that damn near could go in a Cadillac. The Leather was quite nice.. the layout?? stunning. The interior decor was quite nice, and I really think that the idea of the SS being more of a 5series alternative in Australia came ring thru quite well when they exported it here. I'm not comparing the '14 CTS interior to the SS.. Where did U get that from? I will say that the materials of the SS are very much on par with those in my '12 CTS-V Coupe that cost $30K more. But Cadillac did for the '14 VSport and ELR at the NYIAS.. move Caddy up two more notches over what I have in my garage.

Again I think U are missing the point of the SS. It is not a car that GM seems to have marketed towards the bench racers who will most likely not buy the car in the first place. At $45K I speculate that the age demo will be more in the 40+ age range.. and quite frankly a lot of us simply don't want a car that is constantly associated with the "bad area of town."
I actually hope it is better than the current CTS, my brother has an 09, great design, but the materials leave a lot to be desired. In any case, despite the different personalities the cars are direct compeitors and they will bring in the samer people to look at them both, unfortunatly the long wait time to get an SS will drive some people to the CHrysler dealership. ANd it could look so much better without looking boyracerish. having a Q-ship is one thing, but not many people are going to plunk down 50k (once GG, tax, title, and license is added) on a car that just looks boring. the CTS, the E550, the 5 series, the XJ, none of these are boyracerish, but they are not outright boring to look at, has nothing to do with "looking like it is from the bad part of town". Not everyone is going to have the same taste, but choosing the SS over the Charger for looks, let alone any of the others will not happen very often. taht is the major issue with the SS. GM has set an excellent precedent with cars like the Camaro, CTS, ATS, Impala, even the new fullsize trucks for an aggressive look that draws you in and IMHO, this needs to be a part of basically everything GM sells in this country. I have been pleasantly surprised with them lately and the style on the SS is a letdown, it doesn't have to be in your face, but it should not be blobby either. Look at the Impala, look at the trucks, they are so carefully and masterfully sculpted it makes the SS look like a throughback from 2006.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #214
Stew

Quote:
I would like to also add that this car looks more "Bland" than the SS in that color.. leading me to think that SILVER is a great deal of the culprit in these silly comments about a car very few have ever seen in person

If you actually use the GXP version of the G8 instead of the base model, yes the GXP looked better and more aggressive than the SS even in silver. Man, all this SS stuff is actually making me remember how much I loved the G8 haha. Wonder if the SS being available with drive GXP prices down? Hmmmmmm.

I may change my mind if I ever get to see an SS in person, I will admit that, but it is not going to be a GXP in looks.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #215
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:

Stew feels the SS is being imported to secretly compete with the Charger. He wanted it priced in the mid 30's. He wanted other engine options and trim levels. Needless to say he didn't get what he wanted so he turned bitter and hopped on the Charger bandwagon. Better enjoy it before its gone!

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #216
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

Quote:
I actually hope it is better than the current CTS, my brother has an 09, great design, but the materials leave a lot to be desired. In any case, despite the different personalities the cars are direct compeitors and they will bring in the samer people to look at them both, unfortunatly the long wait time to get an SS will drive some people to the CHrysler dealership. ANd it could look so much better without looking boyracerish. having a Q-ship is one thing, but not many people are going to plunk down 50k (once GG, tax, title, and license is added) on a car that just looks boring. the CTS, the E550, the 5 series, the XJ, none of these are boyracerish, but they are not outright boring to look at, has nothing to do with "looking like it is from the bad part of town". Not everyone is going to have the same taste, but choosing the SS over the Charger for looks, let alone any of the others will not happen very often. taht is the major issue with the SS. GM has set an excellent precedent with cars like the Camaro, CTS, ATS, Impala, even the new fullsize trucks for an aggressive look that draws you in and IMHO, this needs to be a part of basically everything GM sells in this country. I have been pleasantly surprised with them lately and the style on the SS is a letdown, it doesn't have to be in your face, but it should not be blobby either. Look at the Impala, look at the trucks, they are so carefully and masterfully sculpted it makes the SS look like a throughback from 2006.

Perhaps.. and I'm just throwing this out there.. Perhaps every one does not want a car that looks "Aggressive." Call me crazy.. but some people want muscle-car performance in a sleeper from the factory.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #217
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

Quote:
If you actually use the GXP version of the G8 instead of the base model, yes the GXP looked better and more aggressive than the SS even in silver. Man, all this SS stuff is actually making me remember how much I loved the G8 haha. Wonder if the SS being available with drive GXP prices down? Hmmmmmm.

I may change my mind if I ever get to see an SS in person, I will admit that, but it is not going to be a GXP in looks.
Are U serious? U do realize that the two cars are almost identical looking from that angle except the wheels right?
Old 06-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #218
Stew

Quote:
Are U serious? U do realize that the two cars are almost identical looking from that angle except the wheels right?
The front end and the hood on the GXP go a long way and the rims help too.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #219
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
Stew feels the SS is being imported to secretly compete with the Charger. He wanted it priced in the mid 30's. He wanted other engine options and trim levels. Needless to say he didn't get what he wanted so he turned bitter and hopped on the Charger bandwagon. Better enjoy it before its gone!
LOL... I figured there was embedded Chevy SS hate in there. Reminds me of the crazy arguments I would get in back in '09 when Pontiac got the ax and no one in those arguments 'cept me realize that Pontiac and Chevy were EXACTLY the same company except the front ends and a ironic twist of the so-called "performance/excitement" brand not having a Corvette, Cobalt SS, or upcoming Camaro twin just some weird love of Rental car lots
Old 06-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #220
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

Quote:
The front end and the hood on the GXP go a long way and the rims help too.
I don't think so.. and I have it on good authority that Rims can be swapped from one car to the next even tho the SS is using rims that look very similar to those on the GXP.

My 63 year old Aunt owns a G8 GXP that she got when she traded in her Grand Prix GXP. She thinks the SS looks better than her car and so do I.

Either way.. opinions are like brains.. most have 'em.. most don't kno how to use 'em.

I have a question tho.. If U like the Charger sooooo damn much.. Where's your Charger??? And would GM be a fool to market the SS to U knowing U didn't even buy their more aggressive looking G8 which U can still get for LESS than $30K
Old 06-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #221
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
Personally, I would've preferred the new Impala have this type of performance (I don't believe it does but I could be wrong). Visually, the Impala is the better car IMO
Switchin2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #222
Stew

Quote:
I don't think so.. and I have it on good authority that Rims can be swapped from one car to the next even tho the SS is using rims that look very similar to those on the GXP.

My 63 year old Aunt owns a G8 GXP that she got when she traded in her Grand Prix GXP. She thinks the SS looks better than her car and so do I.

Either way.. opinions are like brains.. most have 'em.. most don't kno how to use 'em.

I have a question tho.. If U like the Charger sooooo damn much.. Where's your Charger??? And would GM be a fool to market the SS to U knowing U didn't even buy their more aggressive looking G8 which U can still get for LESS than $30K
I don't think I have even mentioned the Charger in my last few posts but besides stated how unimpressive the SS looks compared to the rest of GMs lineup. You and your aunt are simply in the minority here so there is your opinions and people not knowing how to use them Ah, i love it when people resort to insults. Anyways, once you get into switching this and that you are no longer talking about the stock car, which is what the discussion has been about. You start making modifications and make the right decisions you can make almost any car look good compared to the stock version.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #223
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchin2Chevy View Post
Personally, I would've preferred the new Impala have this type of performance (I don't believe it does but I could be wrong). Visually, the Impala is the better car IMO
It doesn't unfortunatly, GM has the tech (AWD turbo V6 going into the XTS), but it won't happen and it is sad because that is easily GMs best looking sedan in 2 decades.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #224
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
I actually hope it is better than the current CTS, my brother has an 09, great design, but the materials leave a lot to be desired.
I daily drive a CTS-V. The common materials (center stack, etc) across the CTS lineup date back to 2008. While they are not up to German and even Lexus luxury car standards, there is simply no comparison to Dodge. Chrysler may have an argument vs the outgoing CTS.

Quote:
In any case, despite the different personalities the cars are direct compeitors and they will bring in the samer people to look at them both, unfortunatly the long wait time to get an SS will drive some people to the CHrysler dealership.
But they are not direct competitors. The SS is being imported on a limited basis. The Charger is mass produced. Only the SRT8 and SS will compete for the same buyer. Buyers have had 8+ years to buy the Charger. There are people (myself included) that never cared for the look or heft of them. Given the choice I would take the SS every time.

Quote:
ANd it could look so much better without looking boyracerish. having a Q-ship is one thing, but not many people are going to plunk down 50k (once GG, tax, title, and license is added) on a car that just looks boring. the CTS, the E550, the 5 series, the XJ, none of these are boyracerish, but they are not outright boring to look at, has nothing to do with "looking like it is from the bad part of town". Not everyone is going to have the same taste, but choosing the SS over the Charger for looks, let alone any of the others will not happen very often. taht is the major issue with the SS.
Speculation on your part. Simply put, you are not the target audience for the SS or SRT8 for that matter.

Looks are subjective and this is where we differ. You like the look of the Charger, I do not. To me the SS looks much more refined inside and out. I have always loved the Commodore VE, the Charger just never did anything for me. As someone who buys a new car every 2-3 years, I would lay down $44k of my own money for the SS. I would not for the Charger. It's that simple.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote