Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFrench View Post
Would there be anyway to lower the driver seat this way for us tall folk?
Sure .Take the " nut " out of the seat - no problem. Fixes everything !
Old 03-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #16
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy56 View Post
Sure .Take the " nut " out of the seat - no problem. Fixes everything !
Lol

Sent from my 2LT/RS using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #17
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Cool idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #18
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
#1 is a picture of the seat slid all the way forward to access the bolts.
Thanks for posting; great idea. Tried to do it tonight but my Torx 40 was too small. Gotta get a bigger set of Torx bits. I wonder if maybe they changed stuff in the 2011s to a bigger one. Ah well, just another excuse to buy more tools!

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #19
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
Oh lord do people complain just to complain? If the Torx bolt goes back into the mounting nut for as deep as the mounting nut is, you lose no strength! What would the difference be if the Torx sticks out from the bottom 3/4 of and inch vs 1/4? Nothing.
In tension you're correct but the shear load on the bolt is increased during a lateral impact or load. So maybe people don't complain just to complain but you don't understand structural engineering.

Whether or not its enough to cause catastrophic failure would take some analysis. Seat mounting and retention is rather important when it comes to crash safety.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #20
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Oh lord do people complain just to complain? If the Torx bolt goes back into the mounting nut for as deep as the mounting nut is, you lose no strength! What would the difference be if the Torx sticks out from the bottom 3/4 of and inch vs 1/4? Nothing.
THIS!

No difference!

Just sent... don't want to offend anyone.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #21
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
In tension you're correct but the shear load on the bolt is increased during a lateral impact or load. So maybe people don't complain just to complain but you don't understand structural engineering.

Whether or not its enough to cause catastrophic failure would take some analysis. Seat mounting and retention is rather important when it comes to crash safety.
I do understand structural engineering and you have a point BUT the discussion the other guy was referring to was a guy that said to get a longer bolt. As long as the bolt is fully threaded, longer would make no difference... in this case.

Now... I also agree that you are changing a lot of the geometry of the bolt stresses. Enough to make a difference in a crash? Unlikely but I don't want to find out.

SUX... You're likely fine but the insurance company would have a field day with that... heaven forbid.

May want to take it out and just tell your wife to deal with it. Not being rude, my wife used to complain. She since stopped bc there is nothing I can do about it and continuing to bitch does nothing.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #22
Synner

Well the people that were saying no way were likely considering shear strength and not thread engagement. Although looking at the bolt the first 1/2" definitely doesn't have threads that would properly engage the nut. Without seeing the underside there's no way to tell whats happening.

And like you said, I aint planning on finding out. But people considering this should also hear both sides of it and decide for themselves. Shear loads the bolt sees from lateral impacts is increased. Personally I don't care to find out what it is or where the failure point lies because I have no interest in messing with it.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #23
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Quote:
I think you missed the point I was trying to ask......

Say hypothetically the hole has 8 threads & the torx bolt has 10 threads.. Sure I see your point as there is no difference that 2 threads are sticking out underneath the car...

But my thought/questions is... if the spacer Nut takes up (hypothetically) 6 threads of the torz bolt... thus leaving only 2 threads to catch in the hole.... Wouldn't this cause some kind of safety issue?

I'm not complaining I am asking a legit question for something I do not know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
I do understand structural engineering and you have a point BUT the discussion the other guy was referring to was a guy that said to get a longer bolt. As long as the bolt is fully threaded, longer would make no difference... in this case.
Please read my above...
Does this sound like a reasonable question? I'm just curious because I don't know how many threads are lost by using the nut and if it is or isn't enough to make a difference

Last edited by Ject; 03-29-2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Ject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #24
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Well the people that were saying no way were likely considering shear strength and not thread engagement. Although looking at the bolt the first 1/2" definitely doesn't have threads that would properly engage the nut. Without seeing the underside there's no way to tell whats happening.

And like you said, I aint planning on finding out. But people considering this should also hear both sides of it and decide for themselves. Shear loads the bolt sees from lateral impacts is increased. Personally I don't care to find out what it is or where the failure point lies because I have no interest in messing with it.
Totally agree. Especially with your last few lines!

Old 03-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #25
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Ject... I am a civil professional engineer.

IF the nut holding the seat in (not the spacer nut)... Forget the bolt for now... If the nut has 8 threads, then you need 8 threads.

As Synner was saying, we have no clue how far the end of the bolt sticks out the bottom. If it sticks out more than the size of the spacer you put in, and the bolt can still get fully threaded (all 8) AND still sticks out the bottom, a longer bolt would not accomplish anything.

BUT... As Synner and I stated, the geometry of the bolt has changed. No denying that. Enough to make a difference? I didn't do the structural analysis on the bolt, the seat or the car.

Worst case, you get hit in the side and the bolt shears because you changed the force geometry and the seat flys out.... Willing to try it?

Oh, and if that happens and you kill your passenger, you better hope no one ever knows you modified the seat.

That's worst case....

Old 03-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #26
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ject View Post
Say hypothetically the hole has 8 threads & the torx bolt has 10 threads.. Sure I see your point as there is no difference that 2 threads are sticking out underneath the car...
It's a valid question. As long as the retention nut on the underside is fully engaged with threads you're fine from a tension/compression standpoint. But look at the pic of the bolt pulled out and see how the threads are tapered initially. That first 1/2" isn't structural and could cause the threads to shear off if the nut is partially engaged on those and partially on the "good" threads. So having any portion of that inside the retention nut is bad in any situation.

But we've just been sidetracked on the safety of lateral loading on a bolt that keeps you from flying like superman in the event of a crash. I personally view that as a much more critical concern in this instance but thread engagement is critical for any bolt to do its job effectively. Hope that helps.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #27
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

I didn't notice the tapered section. He's totally right. Those CAN NOT be used to hold the seat down. Chance of failure would greatly increase of you were trying to use the taper section to mount the seat.

Synner uses even larger engineering geek terms than me. .

Old 03-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #28
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Quote:
It's a valid question. As long as the retention nut on the underside is fully engaged with threads you're fine from a tension/compression standpoint. But look at the pic of the bolt pulled out and see how the threads are tapered initially. That first 1/2" isn't structural and could cause the threads to shear off if the nut is partially engaged on those and partially on the "good" threads. So having any portion of that inside the retention nut is bad in any situation.

But we've just been sidetracked on the safety of lateral loading on a bolt that keeps you from flying like superman in the event of a crash. I personally view that as a much more critical concern in this instance but thread engagement is critical for any bolt to do its job effectively. Hope that helps.
Thanks
and yes it does help a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
I didn't notice the tapered section. He's totally right. Those CAN NOT be used to hold the seat down. Chance of failure would greatly increase of you were trying to use the taper section to mount the seat.

Synner uses even larger engineering geek terms than me. .