Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 05-11-2024, 05:15 PM   #1
SlizzardLizard

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro 2lt
Question Odd spotting, smudging, streaking ?

I've had these odd smudges and/or spots that normal washes and clay don't seem to touch. You can only see it at certain angles in the sun. I tried my best to take a couple of pictures.

If I had to guess it is water marks of some kind? I'm sure some of you have a lot more knowledge than I do on the matter. I know when I look up water spots online they seem more prevalent and more spotty than what I have.

Obviously I would like to get this taken care of eventually. Possibly with some type of paint correction exterior detail service. My lack on knowledge on this is driving me crazy lol.
Attached Images

SlizzardLizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 07:45 PM   #2
SlizzardLizard

Here is another photo I took under a yellow street light. It seems to be under whatever coating is on the vehicle. Again there is no bumps or stickiness to the surface and is only seen from certain angels. Im confused lol.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2024, 10:12 AM   #3
22SS1LE

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE 6M
was the car ever ceramic coated. those streaks look like high spots that never been wiped off properly. or was anything rubbed on the trunk lid like a box that slid back and forth and caused those scratches
8/24. IT HAS ARRIVED at the dealer
8/25- It is in the Garage
ACS ZL1 Sideskirts, 20% tint, CAI Intake
22SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 05:27 PM   #4
SlizzardLizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SS1LE View Post
was the car ever ceramic coated. those streaks look like high spots that never been wiped off properly. or was anything rubbed on the trunk lid like a box that slid back and forth and caused those scratches
Thanks for the reply. I believe the dealership I purchased from (used) possibly put some crappy sealant on it when I purchased. One of the upcharge things dealerships like to add into the price. I could see them doing a sub par job... I havn't placed anything on the trunk as I am very particular in not wanting to scratch or swirl my paint.

I imagine this "coating" could be the case as it does seem like it's under the clear coat or I guess, above the clear coat but under a sealant, if that makes sense. Because it's definitely smooth to touch and only seen at certain angles. I'm guessing if this is the case the only way to get rid of it would be some good stripping washes and a detail with paint correction?

Last edited by SlizzardLizard; 05-12-2024 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-12-2024, 05:51 PM   #5
22SS1LE

get a bottle of polish, something easy access like Meguiars ultimate polish at walmart and a MF towel.
Put a dab of polish on the towel and work it in by hand and see if it removes it.
Old 05-12-2024, 06:55 PM   #6
SlizzardLizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SS1LE View Post
get a bottle of polish, something easy access like Meguiars ultimate polish at walmart and a MF towel.
Put a dab of polish on the towel and work it in by hand and see if it removes it.
Thanks for the advice. I will have to try this next time I give her a good wash.
Old 05-13-2024, 06:29 PM   #7
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
If you think it is a hard water issue, try 3 to 1 water vinegar ratio. It will cut out and resolve any hard water stains.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 07:52 PM   #8
SlizzardLizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
If you think it is a hard water issue, try 3 to 1 water vinegar ratio. It will cut out and resolve any hard water stains.
If it is a hard water thing, it's definitely under some kind of coating. I think at this point I will have to get rid of whatever coating the dealership put on first. I will definitely give it a shot though. Thanks
Old 05-14-2024, 04:51 AM   #9
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
I'm not a "Pro" detailer, but I do have severe OCD when it comes to my cars.

You DEFINITELY need a paint enhancement (light polish - preferably by machine), if not an actual correction. Either one of these things will easily strip off any coating and begin to take care of the paint issues.

While the Meguiar's is a valid suggestion, it is very oily and more difficult to remove and see the actual condition of the paint. I suggest the Turtle Wax One - N - Done compound. Just by switching applicators, it can either be a heavy compound or a light polish, and it removes clean.
Old 05-14-2024, 05:26 AM   #10
SlizzardLizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post

You DEFINITELY need a paint enhancement (light polish - preferably by machine), if not an actual correction. Either one of these things will easily strip off any coating and begin to take care of the paint issues.

While the Meguiar's is a valid suggestion, it is very oily and more difficult to remove and see the actual condition of the paint. I suggest the Turtle Wax One - N - Done compound. Just by switching applicators, it can either be a heavy compound or a light polish, and it removes clean.
Thanks for the reply. I am pretty ocd as well when it comes to keeping my car clean. I have done a bunch of research on removing the possible coating and apparently the only way to ensure you get down to the clear coat is with a compound/polish.

I was hoping i could use a product to eat through whatever it is (strip wash/ipa etc) but it seems the only true way is as you described. I appreciate the recommendation.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:14 AM   #11
22SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post

Guess you missed the point of my suggestion. It was something that is all over and can buy at any store for a quick test.
I wouldnt use it to actually polish a car. If you want something top tier look at DIY gold standard polish. It is the only thing I use anymore. I have used so many in the past from Carpro, Menzerna, scholls, Optimum and Gold standard wins in being pad dependent cut, ZERO dust, super long working time and easy removal also its a spray application on the pad so you use such a small amount 1 bottle I have done 8 cars already and still have half left.
But like I said it was for a test only. so there was no reason for me to try and suggest a specific better polish as the Meg will do just fine to determine if it can be removed with polish or not.

Tags
paint, smudge, spots, streaking, water