Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-02-2024, 07:17 PM   #15
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
No dyno... no care.

It's like all the other companies that do a dyno...but of course use the small lid z06 and then their own lid and are shocked there is a change.
He did dyno them though...

Last edited by Z OH 6; 05-02-2024 at 07:30 PM.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:00 PM   #16
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
In fairness, you could make the same argument about a Rotofab intake. Very little power on a stock car but with more mods, even FBO, it starts to pay dividends.
Not disagreeing with you. Certainly the Rotofab flows air and probably alot more so with a modified car. However, I still have concerns about heatsoak with intakes that aren't completely sealed. Especially when ambient temperatures are over 80 degrees. That's why I went with a Green Filter on my relatively stock car over the Rotofab.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)

Last edited by ZPirate; 05-02-2024 at 08:10 PM.
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 11:03 AM   #17
KamZL1

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
I agree. I've got E50 cars with a 2.3 upper & headers running a drop in filter on the stock airbox pulling draggy times equal or faster than the same setup plus a rotofab. It's just not a restriction yet. Now add a 103/107/112TB and a ported blower and the stock airbox will become a restriction.

Yup I've spoken with him before. He's been around here longer than he's had his current shop open. His shop is very close to me. Always seen good things from him.
E50 and upper with no fueling mods???
KamZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 02:37 PM   #18
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
He did dyno them though...

Yeah....thats my bad. I saw the thumbnail and thought it was an older lid video with a early z06.

This video was actually pretty solid. I have to say though, the "gains" could just as well be minor dyno "error" or 1 thing or another being cooler. A 5hp and 2tq gain isn't exactly showing much.

But also as he said, I think after porting these blower and alittle more mods, the aftermarket lids may start to shine over factory.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 02:39 PM   #19
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamZL1 View Post
E50 and upper with no fueling mods???
Low side is needed. Didn't mention it because it's mandatory and part of any Flex Fuel setup we do.
Old 05-04-2024, 03:20 PM   #20
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
Yeah....thats my bad. I saw the thumbnail and thought it was an older lid video with a early z06.

This video was actually pretty solid. I have to say though, the "gains" could just as well be minor dyno "error" or 1 thing or another being cooler. A 5hp and 2tq gain isn't exactly showing much.

But also as he said, I think after porting these blower and alittle more mods, the aftermarket lids may start to shine over factory.
For sure, all of these could be within a margin of variability, but at least he did the test as scientifically as possible to eliminate as many variables as possible. This video should not be about which lid to choose based on which one gives you more power, we should all know by now that lids don't gain enough power if any to matter, it's all about the sound, look, and price, unless you have a 2015-2016 Z06 in which case, the gains are much more significant. We'll see what part two shows on a car with a lot more airflow, maybe then there will be some decisions to be made on which lid to choose for more power.
Old 05-04-2024, 05:10 PM   #21
KamZL1

Quote:
Low side is needed. Didn't mention it because it's mandatory and part of any Flex Fuel setup we do.
what is gain (e % and rough hp) over same setup without low side?
Thinking of either doing this or the new katech drop in pumps next. Katech pumps seem to be able to output much more. (in theory)
Old 05-05-2024, 07:49 AM   #22
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Quote:
what is gain (e % and rough hp) over same setup without low side?
Thinking of either doing this or the new katech drop in pumps next. Katech pumps seem to be able to output much more. (in theory)
It varies. 2022+ ZL1's seem to have a stronger OEM low side (allegedly its the C7 ZR1 low side).

You certainly don't need anything more than a JMS BAP for this level of mods on E50 for any year ZL1.
Old 05-06-2024, 07:33 AM   #23
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Found out my ARH header cats were gone (after 5k miles) as I was doing an oil change. Replaced with GESI high flow cats and went back to the NPP muffler after removing the AWE Touring mufflers (just too loud with my build).

What I discovered was I can now really hear that blower whine after having the Kong Xport done with the WeaponX lid. So yes, these lids will allow more sound with a ported blower spinning faster but, doubt any negligible hp increase.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 07:53 AM   #24
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
Found out my ARH header cats were gone (after 5k miles) as I was doing an oil change. Replaced with GESI high flow cats and went back to the NPP muffler after removing the AWE Touring mufflers (just too loud with my build).

What I discovered was I can now really hear that blower whine after having the Kong Xport done with the WeaponX lid. So yes, these lids will allow more sound with a ported blower spinning faster but, doubt any negligible hp increase.
Yea, I could hardly hear any blower whine with my previous exhaust setup, now with NPP functionality again, I can hear the blower again, ported blower with stock lid and damper removed. I will eventually buy a lid but waiting to see Part 2 of this test on a modified LT4. I'll probably go with DSX anyway just because of the price and customization options.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:52 AM   #25
KamZL1

Quote:
It varies. 2022+ ZL1's seem to have a stronger OEM low side (allegedly its the C7 ZR1 low side).

You certainly don't need anything more than a JMS BAP for this level of mods on E50 for any year ZL1.
No shit? someone should do testing on that. pretty sure a lot of guys would switch over to that to avoid tapping into tank if true...

And yeah it might be overkill at that level but if you are already spending the money to upgrade low side why not give yourself some head room to 1000

Side bar: I just got tuned on e50/headers, i think i want to tune tcm next. Does it have to be pulled and sent to HP and how much do you charge for a TCM tune?
Old 05-06-2024, 01:20 PM   #26
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Quote:
No shit? someone should do testing on that. pretty sure a lot of guys would switch over to that to avoid tapping into tank if true...

And yeah it might be overkill at that level but if you are already spending the money to upgrade low side why not give yourself some head room to 1000

Side bar: I just got tuned on e50/headers, i think i want to tune tcm next. Does it have to be pulled and sent to HP and how much do you charge for a TCM tune?
I have tested it and it seems to hold true. The 1LE SS cars get the ZL1 low side pump which I assume is now the C7 ZR1 low side from 2022+. No REAL proof on this other than I see the 2019 Z06's (with proven ZR1 low side) and 2022+ ZL1's hold low side pressure better. It's not a huge amount but it is noticeable. If I had to guess they are about 10% more capable in stock form and 25% more capable with a JMS voltage booster.

TCM tune is a must IMO if you're not stock. But there are also things in the ECU that go hand in hand with TCM tuning. email me for TCM tuning at jason at snackbartuning dot com.