Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-01-2024, 06:13 PM   #15
ls1ya

Drives: triple black 98Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
Thanks, would love to hear from anyone that actually attempted to build this based on the listed parts and instructions. Let us know how it turned out!

We may try to provide one more video on configuring the relay boards since we recorded that process, but there are already videos available for that. Using Mode 12 is the most important part.

Idk how I missed this, well maybe I do. I searched the subject but never signed in until today. I would have definitely given this a shot and still might. it beats paying 1300 for IGLA and I know a lot of people complain about that alone.
ls1ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 12:37 AM   #16
roostere4

Drives: 1987 IROC, 2020 ZL1
Very Very cool!

Quick question, how is the system preventing the start of the vehicle normally? i.e. if nothing is plugged into the OBD port to trip the trigger? From my read of the schematic it looks like starter circuits are normal until the relays are triggered by something being plugged into the OBD port and only then they are broken.
roostere4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 10:26 AM   #17
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by roostere4 View Post
Very Very cool!

Quick question, how is the system preventing the start of the vehicle normally? i.e. if nothing is plugged into the OBD port to trip the trigger? From my read of the schematic it looks like starter circuits are normal until the relays are triggered by something being plugged into the OBD port and only then they are broken.
Correct. If a driver has a valid fob, this won't stop anything from happening. It also won't prevent a relay attack to get the door locks open, only a Faraday pouch will do that.

For an extra $1200 or so, the IGLA system offers two factor authentication, "something you have" and "something you know". If you want that level of protection and are content to run a button sequence every time you start the car, it appears to be a good option. Personally, I didn't want to have to deal with handing a valet or service counter guy a post-it note with instructions every time someone besides me has to drive the car for less than a minute.

Building off of this design, you could reverse the default state on the ignition activation relay or choose a different mode on the board, and require pressing the (hidden) button every time to allow activation. Or, just place another inline switch on the BCM starter wire that you have hold on while you press the PTS button on the dash. Those little relay boards are quite versatile!

Lots of ways to skin the cat if you want to add a secondary condition (something you know) to start the car. This was intended to stop what we believe is the primary vector for theft, key cloning after entry (usually with a rock/brick) with readily available tools.

Last edited by Capricio; 05-04-2024 at 04:00 PM.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 04:02 PM   #18
Jetrep

Drives: ZL1 1LE, bolt, scary flatbed, hhr,
very nice work Capricio!
Jetrep is offline   Reply With Quote