Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-10-2023, 06:25 AM   #57
LeonardS

Drives: 1969 Z28,1992 Z28,1994 Z28,1999 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I've lived in WI my entire life and it is not common here at all. Don't know of a single apartment complex that has this. Not even the new ones they are building. Also in order to charge your EV overnight you need at least a Level II Charger. That is 50 Amps... You are not going to get that out of your block heater 110 outlet at your parking stall.
I live in North Dakota and the outlets are not near as common as Mr Florida is saying. There are a few apartments that have outlets and a few businesses that have outlets for their employees to use. They would be 15 or 20 amp outlets with several on a single 15 or 20 amp breaker. They are not going to work for charging multiple auto EV batteries.
94 Z28, Black, M6, 595 miles
92 Z28, last car built at Van Nuys Plant, Red, A4, 125 miles www.last1992camaro.com
69 Z28, Dusk Blue, M4
29 Ford Business Coupe
28 Ford Pickup
24 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB 4x4
22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
13 Ford F150 Crew Cab 4x4
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 07:13 AM   #58
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
I live in North Dakota and the outlets are not near as common as Mr Florida is saying. There are a few apartments that have outlets and a few businesses that have outlets for their employees to use. They would be 15 or 20 amp outlets with several on a single 15 or 20 amp breaker. They are not going to work for charging multiple auto EV batteries.
I lived in North Dakota and can confirm they’re just as common as I was saying. At least in my town. No idea what amperage they’re putting out though.
Old 05-10-2023, 09:12 AM   #59
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
I lived in North Dakota and can confirm they’re just as common as I was saying. At least in my town. No idea what amperage they’re putting out though.
I'm an not a certified electrician but I've done a fair amount of residential wiring. I have not seen a 110 outlet that is rated over 20 Amps. So you would never get a level II charging system with any existing 110 service to a parking stall. A level II charger requires 50 amps 220 Service.

Last edited by jamala00; 05-10-2023 at 09:24 AM.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 02:32 PM   #60
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I'm an not a certified electrician but I've done a fair amount of residential wiring. I have not seen a 110 outlet that is rated over 20 Amps. So you would never get a level II charging system with any existing 110 service to a parking stall. A level II charger requires 50 amps 220 Service.
So, generally speaking your standard 115V receptacle is rated for 15A max.
They do have 20 amp, but technically that requires a different plug configuration:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/..._AC_SY879_.jpg

And the more uncommon 30 amp 115v:

https://cdn-tp3.mozu.com/24645-37138..._1677685580029

That being said, some EV chargers can use 115V circuits, although they charge VERY slowly and cost twice as much to use as 220-240V service.
Old 05-10-2023, 07:10 PM   #61
Ambush
Rawr!

Drives: Giulia Quadrifoglio, C8 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
I've seen many apartment complexes spend good money to REMOVE any exterior utilities (electric and water) they had for obvious abuse reasons. Now you think they want to install these expensive outlets for everyone? LOL!
well, i mean... you are in ohio...

anyway, check this out.

https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/electr...rest?fuel=ELEC

Retired:
2018 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
2014 Crystal Red Camaro RS
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 01:46 PM   #62
Mike818

Drives: 5.0 Fox, Lancer Evos (8,X),23 ZLE?
So much FUD.

Everyone is walking around with a battery powered super computer in their pocket, wirelessly connected to the global hive mind. I think we can handle some much needed infrastructure upgrade.

Consider what previous generations have achieved, and how crude their tools were compared to what we have now.
Mike818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 11:57 PM   #63
Alan47717

Drives: 2022 1LT RS 2.0t/6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike818 View Post
So much FUD.

Everyone is walking around with a battery powered super computer in their pocket, wirelessly connected to the global hive mind. I think we can handle some much needed infrastructure upgrade.

Consider what previous generations have achieved, and how crude their tools were compared to what we have now.
This isn't the first time I've heard the "Gee, we have smartphones in our pockets, how hard can can upgrading the infrastructure for EV's be?" It's a nonsensical analogy, one took a lot of smart people coupled with lot of people willing to spend a lot of money, the other requires billions of dollars of construction that no one wants to pay for and takes time to build. In other words, demand for one item pays for making it while the other requires a service to be upgraded. Apples and orangutans.
Alan47717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 05:20 AM   #64
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
The people in power now have no interest in building up , they want to tear down.
Old 05-12-2023, 06:54 AM   #65
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Problem is many people want to judge the future based on what they know today. It’s easy to fall into that.

Todays infrastructure probably couldn’t handle 250 million EVs. But replacing every car on the road with an EV is 2050 at best and even that has a lot of wild assumptions like no one makes an ICE after 2030, which isn’t the plan.

Apartments? Well today EVs are most easily and cheaply charged at home. And in time when apartment dwellers need charging and it becomes part of their rental decision and owners realize that to be considered they need charging it will change.

But the future is not what exists today. Thousands upon thousands of people will go to work today to address all the remaining issues with EVs. And those are mostly cost and charge time. I can assure you the battery technology in 2030 EVs simply does not exist today. Charge time will be better simply because it has to. There is so much financial and intellectual capital being applied to this.

And please just stop with the “driving an appliance crap”. An EV may never be as engaging as driving a manual ICE. But they are good looking and they drive very well in their own way.

And I have predicted we will see a Gen7 and it will be a coupe and it will wow your socks off. Just not for a few years.
Old 05-12-2023, 08:15 AM   #66
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
And please just stop with the “driving an appliance crap”. An EV may never be as engaging as driving a manual ICE. But they are good looking and they drive very well in their own way.

And I have predicted we will see a Gen7 and it will be a coupe and it will wow your socks off. Just not for a few years.
Driving an 'appliance' discussion is precisely where our discussions should be, and not on the present practicality/charging/infrastructure issues of EV's. EV's will clearly win over ICE for home owning commuters on so many levels. But the Camaro is NOT about practicality, it's an engaging drivers car you can enjoy on the street and track. Having faith there will eventually be something equivalent is probably true... but when?

I'm waiting for the EV crowd to show us an amateur spec racing series (there was a failed attempt with teslas), I'm waiting for tracks to OK EV's at track events. I'm waiting for the automotive media to have interesting reviews about the EV driving experience (not about charging and practicality).
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 09:03 AM   #67
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
I'm waiting for the automotive media to have interesting reviews about the EV driving experience (not about charging and practicality).
Already exists. Go watch any Porsche Taycan video. Not an EV fan by the way, just letting you know what you’re waiting for already exists.

Also since you want to talk about driving experience, I’d be willing to bet there is a market for an EV coupe. A decent portion of auto enthusiasts are open to an EV power plant. Think people who buy hot hatches for example. If you’re open to turbo 4 power plants, then you’re probably open to an ev power plant. Now for people like us who choose a V8 power plant, I would agree that less of us would be open to an ev power plant.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 09:03 AM   #68
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Problem is many people want to judge the future based on what they know today. It’s easy to fall into that.

Todays infrastructure probably couldn’t handle 250 million EVs. But replacing every car on the road with an EV is 2050 at best and even that has a lot of wild assumptions like no one makes an ICE after 2030, which isn’t the plan.

Apartments? Well today EVs are most easily and cheaply charged at home. And in time when apartment dwellers need charging and it becomes part of their rental decision and owners realize that to be considered they need charging it will change.

But the future is not what exists today. Thousands upon thousands of people will go to work today to address all the remaining issues with EVs. And those are mostly cost and charge time. I can assure you the battery technology in 2030 EVs simply does not exist today. Charge time will be better simply because it has to. There is so much financial and intellectual capital being applied to this.

No no no. It's all a conspiracy to force EVs down out throat as fast as possible! Faster than our infrastructure can keep up!

The government wants to bring our entire economy to a screeching halt, where people can't drive to work or leave their house to buy goods. We won't be able to do anything due to rolling blackouts, 24hr charge times, and nowhere to charge our cars! We'll just sit at home and die. That's what the government wants!!!
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 09:33 AM   #69

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Aside from not having EV charging available at every apartment parking stall, just be glad you have parking for a car at all.

Apartments in the future won't be competing for your tenancy with EV charging. Builders will be lucky to accommodate any vehicle parking at all. Don't count on getting EV charging installed. Instead your parking might get eliminated altogether to fight climate change and provide more space for future homes to solve the housing crisis and stop global warming.

Yes, the plans are to eliminate private ownership of personal vehicles. The more building codes and permit restrictions with no provisions for vehicles at all, the better. R1 zoning has already been made illegal. EVs won't help with anything, so don't hold your breath waiting for easy charging.

The promise of future infrastructure to provide renewable electricity for EVs is a sham. It will never happen. But its a good diversion while the elimination of fossil fuels and ICE marches on.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 09:56 AM   #70
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
The irony is the increase in commuting distance as US cities rot from the inside out.

People who used to drive 5 miles to work in the city have moved so far away to avoid the crime and corruption they're now having to drive 30+ miles one way.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote