Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

AWE Tuning

Old 03-21-2023, 01:48 AM   #169
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Following this thread; reading and learning.

I PM’d you hoping to get more elaboration on why you went with the brake pads you did as opposed to the hawk DCT 70s as well as if you can describe what the DSSV does that makes the car easier and more fun to drive. When you say stable, where and how do you feel that?

I’m impressed with the level of observation assessment and detail, I can’t even begin to notice the things you were talking about in my car ha ha

I’ll be going to the ridge for the first time this year in May or June.

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 03-21-2023 at 02:07 AM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 10:56 AM   #170
GunMetalGrey

Also, I believe one of the critiques of the suspension from motor trend back when they were doing best Driver’s car was that the rear suspension did not have enough travel, and it was hard to put the power down with the ZL11LE, any thoughts on that?
Old 03-21-2023, 11:11 AM   #171
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Following this thread; reading and learning.

I PM’d you hoping to get more elaboration on why you went with the brake pads you did as opposed to the hawk DCT 70s as well as if you can describe what the DSSV does that makes the car easier and more fun to drive. When you say stable, where and how do you feel that?

I’m impressed with the level of observation assessment and detail, I can’t even begin to notice the things you were talking about in my car ha ha

I’ll be going to the ridge for the first time this year in May or June.
Ha! It's my job, I better have that level of assessment.

Ken
Old 03-21-2023, 11:13 AM   #172
khcoaching

Quote:
Also, I believe one of the critiques of the suspension from motor trend back when they were doing best Driver’s car was that the rear suspension did not have enough travel, and it was hard to put the power down with the ZL11LE, any thoughts on that?
I don't have enough time in a ZLE to answer that question....But I am working on that problem as we speak...
Old 03-21-2023, 11:49 AM   #173
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Quote:
That was easily fixed by softening up the rear sway bar in the ZLE. Very different experience.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:40 PM   #174
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
That was easily fixed by softening up the rear sway bar in the ZLE. Very different experience.
Agree. I've been running my rear sway bar on the softest setting since my second track event.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 01:10 PM   #175
khcoaching

Quote:
While not a ZLE, I had the opposite experience on my SLE with the DSSV conversion. I went with stiffer F/R bars and it fixed almost all of my exit grip issues.

Ken
Old 03-22-2023, 10:45 AM   #176
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
Ha! It's my job, I better have that level of assessment.

Ken
Haha good point!
Old 03-22-2023, 10:50 AM   #177
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Oh, OK good to know, and that didn’t affect any other handling characteristics? It didn’t create Understeer on corner entry or mid corner?
Old 03-24-2023, 12:06 AM   #178
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimarshall View Post
Nice write up as usual, Ken! Did you cord the inside of the rear tire? I thought that pointed to a rear toe issue.

How does lowering the front affect the handling? More spring preload? Or just mechanical geometry?

And not to brag, but I think my spin was better. LOL!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...ature=youtu.be
I managed to grab 2nd instead of 4th going into turn 9, but thankfully my engine seems fine. Broke traction instead and sent me into the gravel. I stopped 4ft from the wall. I'll be listening to gravel rattle around for a while.
If you don’t mind me asking, how did you spin there so suddenly and violently? Was there moisture or wetness on the track? Your car seemed very twitchy for a car that should soak up mistakes.

I ask because I’ll be going to the track this summer with a lot more horsepower around that corner so I want to know as much as possible before I go , (it’s a similar high speed corner to my local track except no banking) however, I expected your 6th gen Camaro to start sliding a lot more gradually than that

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 03-24-2023 at 12:24 AM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:14 PM   #179
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
As the post says, I grabbed 2nd instead of 4th gear. You can see my gear selection in the top right.
I usually short shift that corner a little(3>4 around 6K) so that I'm not declutching after the apex where the car becomes very lateral G loaded. That time, I managed to grab 2nd gear instead of 4th. That broke rear traction and caused the rear to step out. The uphill change meant my counter steer suddenly turned into an over correction and I snapped the other way. This probably worked out in my favor, as broad side into the gravel REALLY slowed me down. I stopped 4 feet from the wall.

I think Ken might be fast enough out of 8b(especially on 3Rs) that he doesn't run into that issue. :P

Most folks can take that corner flat footed since the uphill shot really adds significant grip. I'm the only person I've ever seen go off IN turn 9. Hopefully my record will stand for a while! lol.

You'll have a blast! Post on here somewhere when you get dates booked. Hopefully we can have a Camaro party!
eimarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:25 PM   #180
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
He was able to get:

Front -2.5 Camber
Rear -1.5 Camber
Front and Rear Toe -.002 toe in

He said he could get -3 in the front, but only -1.5 in the rear. 1.5 delta is too much and I had him back off the front a bit.

The tech is super knowledgeable on Vettes and Camaros......coming from 20 years in the industry, I was impressed.

Ken
OK You need this to get more camber out of the the REAR

https://www.splparts.com/products/ca...c-lockout.html

I run around -3.9 front and -2.9 rear camber on the street and track. BEFORE the SPLPARTS install , I could only get only around -2.0 rear camber. If you do alot of street driving, run between 38-40PSI in the STREET tires and THAT along with the TOE IN TOE OUT setting you have will minimize the tire wear issues using these aggresive camber settings for street driving
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 06:50 PM   #181
khcoaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
OK You need this to get more camber out of the the REAR

https://www.splparts.com/products/ca...c-lockout.html

I run around -3.9 front and -2.9 rear camber on the street and track. BEFORE the SPLPARTS install , I could only get only around -2.0 rear camber. If you do alot of street driving, run between 38-40PSI in the STREET tires and THAT along with the TOE IN TOE OUT setting you have will minimize the tire wear issues using these aggresive camber settings for street driving
Pretty sure that was 2-3 alignments ago….here’s where I’m at now:

“At the last day with with Randy, we did a mix of bikes and cars and I coached a rider who is the lead data tech for a pretty major race team. It was great to speak data with him and he had some insight for some new alignment specs, based on my feedback with the car. We went with -

Front -3.6 and .08 toe OUT
Rear - 2.7 and .04 toe IN”
Old 03-24-2023, 08:17 PM   #182
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
If you do alot of street driving, run between 38-40PSI in the STREET tires and THAT along with the TOE IN TOE OUT setting you have will minimize the tire wear issues using these aggresive camber settings for street driving
I think higher front tire pressure creates less contact patch and more inside front wear with aggressive camber for street driving. That was my experience when I tried it with -2.8° front camber and 0 front toe. Now I use lower than normal front tire pressure on the street.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote