Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-25-2021, 11:01 PM   #1
Nilly Welson

Drives: Camaro Super Sport, Six on the Stik
Magnaride reset.

My suspension is stuck in track mode. In the settings I can select tour, sport or track and see the check mark selection, but the the ride is still a hard track mode feel. Same thing with the autoselect on the console. Steering and exhaust modes work just Track mode won't physically go to tour or sport. Anyway to reset it? I will do a 20min. battery disconnect this weekend.
Nilly Welson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:50 AM   #2
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Are you seeing a visual indicator? Or are you going off how the ride "feels"? There is little difference in overall ride quality from one mode to the next...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:29 PM   #3
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
In the menu settings you can set the steering, exhaust, and suspension to either be tied to the drive modes, or always set in a specific setting. Have you checked the individual settings to make sure they are tied to the mode settings?

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 01:01 PM   #4
Nilly Welson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Are you seeing a visual indicator? Or are you going off how the ride "feels"? There is little difference in overall ride quality from one mode to the next...

Check marks show as selected. I am familiar with each feel then noticed no physical change in ride about a week ago. All other settings like Steering and exhaust work as indicated.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:10 PM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilly Welson View Post
Check marks show as selected. I am familiar with each feel then noticed no physical change in ride about a week ago. All other settings like Steering and exhaust work as indicated.
Not sure what "check marks" you're referring to... Can you elaborate on how you have it set up and how you're attempting to switch settings?
Old 11-26-2021, 01:40 PM   #6
Nilly Welson

Quote:
Not sure what "check marks" you're referring to... Can you elaborate on how you have it set up and how you're attempting to switch settings?

Check marks under settings on the 8 in. screen.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:46 PM   #7
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilly Welson View Post
Check marks under settings on the 8 in. screen.
Ah... so, you're changing the mode by changing it in the Infotainment settings to a specific MagRide setting?

If so, and that's the only change you're making, the likelihood of you feeling a difference in actual ride quality is pretty small. It is a common misconception that MagRide changes the feel of the ride from very soft to very stiff - the changes have ONLY to do with the dampening rates of the shocks. The springs are what determine how 'soft' the ride feels and those are not controllable.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:35 PM   #8
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Ah... so, you're changing the mode by changing it in the Infotainment settings to a specific MagRide setting?

If so, and that's the only change you're making, the likelihood of you feeling a difference in actual ride quality is pretty small. It is a common misconception that MagRide changes the feel of the ride from very soft to very stiff - the changes have ONLY to do with the dampening rates of the shocks. The springs are what determine how 'soft' the ride feels and those are not controllable.
I'm with the OP on this one. I can absolutely tell the diff between the modes, especially between Tour and Track. And changing the "rate" absolutely affects how the ride "feels". The distance the suspension will travel may be the same in various modes (that's built-into the springs, if you will), but if the "rate" that distance is traveled is less (track mode), the ride WILL feel stiffer. That's the whole point of MRC, to reduce instantaneous roll during quick turns and reduce pronounced body roll.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:54 PM   #9
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
I'm with the OP on this one. I can absolutely tell the diff between the modes, especially between Tour and Track. And changing the "rate" absolutely affects how the ride "feels". The distance the suspension will travel may be the same in various modes (that's built-into the springs, if you will), but if the "rate" that distance is traveled is less (track mode), the ride WILL feel stiffer. That's the whole point of MRC, to reduce instantaneous roll during quick turns and reduce pronounced body roll.
The ride 'feel' isn't really going to change much because of a change to the damping rate on the shocks. True, it will impact things like the total distance the suspension may travel to absorb a bump, and that can lead to some subtle changes in the ride feel, but ultimately the majority of the feel of the ride is related to the springs. Any things that you are feeling along the lines of what you're describing are 'at that moment' things, not 'over time' things. So, while you might feel a bump more distinctly with the MRC set to Track, it's also over much more quickly and you're back to feeling what the springs are providing.

Also - the ONLY way to ensure that ONLY the MRC setting gets changed is to only make the change via the Infotainment system, and I believe that has to be done with the car parked (you can't change it in motion). If you don't control it this way, you will be making other changes to the car's behavior because the Drive Mode selector adjusts things that you don't have an option to force to a specific setting (like the way the engine accelerates, for example). Any change you feel from using the Drive Mode selector will be due to a -combination- of changes at best.

Another aspect of being able to 'feel' the difference in modes is that you would have to travel the exact same terrain (bump for bump) at the exact same speed and such. This is incredibly hard to duplicate unless you're on a track. And then, the different modes are going to be more noticeable due to traction and grip than they would be due to ride feel.

Something else to know is that MRC can't always "get out of its own way" to change ride characteristics. I have purposely set my steering control to a fixed setting and left the MRC to follow the Drive Mode selector and then set out on a specific stretch of highway that will commonly cause my car to feel like it has a vibration in it when in Track Mode. While I'm driving in Tour mode, I set the cruise and choose my lane. All is good. I switch to Track mode and the chattering starts. I switch back to Tour mode and it doesn't change. This is due to limitations in how MRC works and what it can and can't do. In other words, while in motion, once the issue has started (this specific case), the only way to correct is to switch OUT of Track mode, slow way down to allow the damping rate to actually change, then speed back up. I have the schematics for MRC and have discussed in detail with an engineer to ensure that the specific situation I found was not within what the system "should" be able to deal with.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:59 PM   #10
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Exactly. Its.definitely noticeable.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 04:38 PM   #11
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
The ride 'feel' isn't really going to change much because of a change to the damping rate on the shocks. True, it will impact things like the total distance the suspension may travel to absorb a bump, and that can lead to some subtle changes in the ride feel, but ultimately the majority of the feel of the ride is related to the springs. Any things that you are feeling along the lines of what you're describing are 'at that moment' things, not 'over time' things. So, while you might feel a bump more distinctly with the MRC set to Track, it's also over much more quickly and you're back to feeling what the springs are providing.

Also - the ONLY way to ensure that ONLY the MRC setting gets changed is to only make the change via the Infotainment system, and I believe that has to be done with the car parked (you can't change it in motion). If you don't control it this way, you will be making other changes to the car's behavior because the Drive Mode selector adjusts things that you don't have an option to force to a specific setting (like the way the engine accelerates, for example). Any change you feel from using the Drive Mode selector will be due to a -combination- of changes at best.

Another aspect of being able to 'feel' the difference in modes is that you would have to travel the exact same terrain (bump for bump) at the exact same speed and such. This is incredibly hard to duplicate unless you're on a track. And then, the different modes are going to be more noticeable due to traction and grip than they would be due to ride feel.

Something else to know is that MRC can't always "get out of its own way" to change ride characteristics. I have purposely set my steering control to a fixed setting and left the MRC to follow the Drive Mode selector and then set out on a specific stretch of highway that will commonly cause my car to feel like it has a vibration in it when in Track Mode. While I'm driving in Tour mode, I set the cruise and choose my lane. All is good. I switch to Track mode and the chattering starts. I switch back to Tour mode and it doesn't change. This is due to limitations in how MRC works and what it can and can't do. In other words, while in motion, once the issue has started (this specific case), the only way to correct is to switch OUT of Track mode, slow way down to allow the damping rate to actually change, then speed back up. I have the schematics for MRC and have discussed in detail with an engineer to ensure that the specific situation I found was not within what the system "should" be able to deal with.
Whatever. You're just wrong about so many things in the above post. I'm not going to bother arguing any further.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 05:13 PM   #12
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
How long was the car sitting? A flaw of MRC is that the magnetic particles can settle and cake. In days, not weeks.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 06:13 PM   #13
Nilly Welson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
How long was the car sitting? A flaw of MRC is that the magnetic particles can settle and cake. In days, not weeks.

I drive my car every day. Its my DD.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:18 PM   #14
Nilly Welson

Quote:
Whatever. You're just wrong about so many things in the above post. I'm not going to bother arguing any further.

Yeh..you can definatly tell the difference between the modes. Now I can tell its on the stiffest setting/Track mode. Changing it on the screen or setting the default on the console button not changing it. No errors though. I disconnected the battery terminal under the hood for about 10min. today. Didn't fix it..

Last edited by Nilly Welson; 11-28-2021 at 07:13 PM. Reason: lnjj