Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-17-2021, 02:38 PM   #1
Royal Dutch

Drives: 2021 Chevy ZL1 A10 Cpe Shadow Gray
NJMP 10/8/21 Track Day

I just signed up for 10/8 Track Day at NJMP, intermediate paced laps.

Who's in?
Royal Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 07:28 AM   #2
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Dutch View Post

Who's in?
I am about to sign up for that this week except I’ll be doing the beginner one. Question, does an instructor sit next to you or is everyone just following a pace car? If we are just following a pace car does that mean no passing is allowed?
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 12:07 PM   #3
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
I am about to sign up for that this week except I’ll be doing the beginner one. Question, does an instructor sit next to you or is everyone just following a pace car? If we are just following a pace car does that mean no passing is allowed?
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...ts-park-631131

It doesn't look like these are regular track days. They're more of an introductory to track days. It says you're behind a pace car in all groups so I can't imagine there's passing.

Better to run a Track night event or with a club IMO. If you have absolutely no track experience and are easily spooked of fast cornering then maybe this will be of benefit. Otherwise, I'd personally join a club event in beginner to learn.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 03:00 PM   #4
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...ts-park-631131

It doesn't look like these are regular track days. They're more of an introductory to track days. It says you're behind a pace car in all groups so I can't imagine there's passing.

Better to run a Track night event or with a club IMO. If you have absolutely no track experience and are easily spooked of fast cornering then maybe this will be of benefit. Otherwise, I'd personally join a club event in beginner to learn.
As a novice I think I should probably start with this and then move up to a real track day. A buddy of mine did something similar at vir’s patriot course. Everyone had instructors sitting next to them and passing was allowed/the car in front had to let you go if you were faster.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:52 PM   #5
Royal Dutch

Drives: 2021 Chevy ZL1 A10 Cpe Shadow Gray
Behind pace car, with professional driver who goes all out by the 4th session. It's great for beginners, I've only done it twice. Also much less expensive than club day. Intermediate and advanced do allow passing later on in the day. This will be my first time with the new ZL1, wanted to feel it out and get comfortable next time will definitely be club day with open passing.

I made friends with the pace car driver, and waited until the last session to make sure I was first in line he saw I knew what I was doing and had the fastest car in the bunch he said follow me and see if you can keep up. I caught him every straight but in the corners he was crazy fast lifted up the back inner tire with the all wheel drive Subaru race prepped pace car. We ended up catching the slowest car by the 4th lap and it was over but it was great fun while it lasted. I would slow down to give me some room on the back straight and hit 129 mph at NJMP lightning.
Royal Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #6
KindaOrange

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
What kind of tires are you all running? My oem's GYEF1Assym3 are balding (car is my DD). About to replace.
But I just moved here from Virginia & winter doesn't really get below 40 much...
To handle PA winters... do y'all run All-seasons?

Interested in tracking the car more. Just need a solid DD + trackday tire.

Thanks in advance for any insight,
KindaOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 02:39 PM   #7
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindaOrange View Post
What kind of tires are you all running? My oem's GYEF1Assym3 are balding (car is my DD). About to replace.
But I just moved here from Virginia & winter doesn't really get below 40 much...

I bought a set of ss 1le wheels and tires (essentially brand new) off someone that sells sets of them over in New Jersey about 2ish hours from where you are. I run those in the summer and I bought cheap all seasons that I mounted to the stock wheels so that I can drive my car in the winter on nicer days. I used to live right by exton. I got cracks in two of my Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 3’s when I had to use my camaro while my daily was down. The all seasons I wound up buying were nankang ns-25. They are just as loud and ride quality is just as bad as the runflats were. They actually handle very nicely for an all season. I’m not complaining about it’s short comings because they are dirt cheap. If you can’t get a second set of wheels and tires and can only have one, then I suggest Michelin ps4s or continental dws. Not sure I would ever do a track day in them though.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:56 PM   #8
jgenestra2012

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindaOrange View Post

On my 2015 Camaro SS with the 1LE package, I swapped the Summer Only Tires for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and I was really happy with how those tires performed.

For my current Camaro, I picked up a set of SS rims and bought BFGOODRICH G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S PLUS tires and I use that setup for the winter months. Overall, I’m happy with the Comp-2 A/S, but they aren’t the most aesthetically pleasing tire, but the tires do the job of providing a good balance between grip and performance during the cold months.

Years ago, I had a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires on a 2005 GTO that I really liked, and the tires performed well in all four seasons.

I have no experience tracking any of the tires I listed.
jgenestra2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 03:14 PM   #9
jgenestra2012

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Dutch View Post

Who's in?
I signed up today for Paced Laps Beginner. I've never been on a track before, so I figured this was a good place to start.

Hope to see you there.
jgenestra2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:10 AM   #10
m6-lt1

Just signed up for the 10/8 progressive paced laps beginner session as well.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:06 AM   #11
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Drives: 1SS M
Im doing 9/22 track night
BTR 225 w/CNC Heads|JLT intake|Speed Engineering 1"7/8 long tube and mid pipe|LT2 manifold w/95mmTb|Self tuned w/HPtuners|Silvers 2Way coilovers|Hotchkis front sway|Advan AD08R|BMR solid cradle bushings|Recaro SR7| Work ZR10 19"
Joey Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:26 AM   #12
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Soul View Post
Im doing 9/22 track night
I'll be there also
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:41 PM   #13
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
I'll be there also
Registered as well. I'm at Pocono on 9/13 too
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:38 PM   #14
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
I'm registered for Watkins Glen 10/22-10/24 with Hooked on Driving. I'll try to also make one of these NJMP track days.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote