Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #15
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i did not like it. it felt like an old b&m or pro5.0. trying to be an mgw, but only half ass accomplishing it. i don’t have an issue with the stock stuff, but don’t care for it either. it’ll stay stock unless something better comes out. if not - oh well.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:36 PM   #16
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
nothing wrong with the stock shifter, but the hurst is so much better that just "good". I do want wood inserts now...
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:01 PM   #17
s346k

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
I’ve run mgw before and this shifter is better in this transmission. It sounds like you haven’t installed a hurst in this car
haven't installed one in my car, but i’ve been in a car that has it. the only thing that scares me about the stock stuff is how flimsy it feels.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:48 PM   #18
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Best mod ever
X2! Thanks oldman, if it weren't for this post I think I would have backed out on this modification and missed the results... it does sound daunting and I really am an "oldman" with jack stands and hand tools.

I put the Hurst on my 5th Gen and even modified the bushings/bearing, etc.. Had that one on and off a few times trying to improve it, but I was younger then(and just a few years and a heart attack with 6 stents changes your perspective) and this install sounded like a PIA by comparison.

When I saw your post I knew it had to happen so finally this week it did. Daum! If the last one was a 40% reduction, I know Hurst claims this one is too, but it feels like 60%! I love it, spot on, mechanical in feel but accurate. You actually get it in gear in time for the rev match to match.

Thanks again from another "oldman" but I've read a lot of your posts and you ain't old dude.
Attached Images

Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:38 AM   #19
s346k

perhaps the base ss shifters are a little different than the 1LE? i installed this shifter a couple weeks ago. and to be honest, it didn't fix the floppy shifter issue (which i quickly discovered was not the shifter at all) and the only gain i noticed was a shorter throw. it feels less flimsy when banging gears but still doesn't feel what i would call solid. guess i'm spoiled by the no linkage t56/mgw combos i ran.
Old 03-20-2021, 01:01 PM   #20
Ventmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
perhaps the base ss shifters are a little different than the 1LE? i installed this shifter a couple weeks ago. and to be honest, it didn't fix the floppy shifter issue (which i quickly discovered was not the shifter at all) and the only gain i noticed was a shorter throw. it feels less flimsy when banging gears but still doesn't feel what i would call solid. guess i'm spoiled by the no linkage t56/mgw combos i ran.
I have a "base" SS and yes, the 1LE is supposed to have a factory short shifter (6% reduction in throw- but who knows how they measure these changes... "there's lies, damn lies, and then there's statistics!"). But compared to the stock shifter in my car, this one feels much more heavy duty with no floppy shifter issues at all, IMHO.

I've got no experience with the t56/MGW brands to compare it to, but I've got no complaint with the 6th Gen Hurst manual.
Old 03-20-2021, 02:40 PM   #21
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
But if you don’t have the hurst can you put this cool badge on the back?
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2021, 10:07 PM   #22
s346k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
But compared to the stock shifter in my car, this one feels much more heavy duty with no floppy shifter issues at all, IMHO.

I've got no experience with the t56/MGW brands to compare it to, but I've got no complaint with the 6th Gen Hurst manual.
the floppy shifter is directly related to the linkage coming out of the trans. the end that the hurst is fixed to apparently wobbles a bit, to decrease a chance of binding, i presume. it feels like it is supposed to do that (when moving it around without the shifter attached) but feels wrong to me from inside the car with everything connected.

anyone who has had a t56/mgw combo (direct bolt) knows first hand what i'm referring to. that is, hands down, the most solid, crisp and otherwise confidence inspiring shift setup known to the normal man.

to be fair, i've been known to shift the car pretty hard so i guess i shouldn't be surprised at a linkage style shifter having some play in it.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:52 PM   #23
Ventmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
But if you don’t have the hurst can you put this cool badge on the back?
Where'd you get the badge man? It does look cool. I'm guessing Ebay, right?
Thanks!
Old 03-21-2021, 07:08 PM   #24
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
I was half joking but yes it’s the hurst equipped badge.

I cut the rest of the badge off, sanded the sides, then painted the sides black.

I tried it in a few different spots but seems ok there to balance the SS badge on the driver side.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:10 AM   #25
Jhunsberger

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6 (SOLD)
I recently installed the Hurst shifter as well along with a rebuilt trans and a Mcleod clutch. I have always considered doing the shifter but didnt feel like doing the install, just didnt feel like it was worth it. I regret putting it off for so long, it has made such a positive different in my opinion. Its a precise, positive and direct shift. I feel like there is a much less chance of miss-shifts. I just really like how it feels. There might be another small factor in what I am feeling and that is the bronze shift fork pads in the trans versus the stock plastic ones, but the shifter makes most of the difference.

Stock: 416hp/427tq, 12.21 @ 116.80

Modified 02/2019: Whipple SC w/ 3.500 pulley, LT4 fueling, NW 103 TB, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Kooks 2" jet coated, full Borla ATAK exhaust, DSS axles, Gforce driveshaft.

Tuned by EFX Tuning 688hp/632tq

Best 1/4 to date: 10.705 @ 131.92
Jhunsberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:09 PM   #26
Ponyeatr16ss
retired badass

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Ponyeatr16ss Send a message via Yahoo to Ponyeatr16ss
I did this along with a kooks full exhaust and solid motor mounts in a day all by myself on some quickjacks. Easy like Sunday morning.
Ponyeatr16ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:47 PM   #27
Ventmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyeatr16ss View Post
I did this along with a kooks full exhaust and solid motor mounts in a day all by myself on some quickjacks. Easy like Sunday morning.
Yeah well, I'm originally from W.Va. and I'm calling "malarkey!" on ya.

BTW- how do you like the shifter?
Old 04-11-2021, 01:30 AM   #28
Ponyeatr16ss
retired badass

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Ponyeatr16ss Send a message via Yahoo to Ponyeatr16ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Yeah well, I'm originally from W.Va. and I'm calling "malarkey!" on ya.

BTW- how do you like the shifter?
I’m not originally from here I retired and moved here. Very true story started at about 7 am and fired it up at 8 pm same day. I can’t help that I’m mechanically inclined to do such work. And yes the shifter is very nice. Next project is heads cam fuel and a supercharger 👍🏼🤷🏽*♂️
Ponyeatr16ss is offline   Reply With Quote