Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-28-2021, 06:22 AM   #15
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
I realize you have a trailer already, but you can rent this one from uhaul for like $140. It has the fold down fenders, so you can get out of the car and leave your windows up. I left mine in gear, and of course tied down.
I have trailered an SS on one of the U-Haul trailers. The biggest things that would be different for the ZL1 would be that you want the springs to still have the blocks in them so that the front will clear the ramps and such for loading. You will also want some 18" 2x10 pieces of wood to help block / raise the front wheels so that the splitter will clear the front of the trailer.

The U-Haul trailer option is absolutely the way to go if you can not get an enclosed trailer. Your utility trailer isn't ideal for trailering a car, and you might well find when you get there that the car won't fit between the wheel wells on it.

Given the distance, rent the trailer at home on day 1 and drive to where the car is. Load the car the following morning and drive home (day 2). There's your $140 in rental charges because it will simply be for a 2 day rental and you won't pay mileage on it (pick up and return to the same location local to you).

They tow easy and don't have a big impact on MPG.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:50 AM   #16
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Im thinking... first off rent the proper trailer.
But Im 5'8" at 170 lbs. I cant Imagine crawling between the seats to get to the back and crawl out the trunk...
Ours is a vert so I dont really have a good mental picture of that.
I have hard enough of a time getting out of the Recaros through the door.
MR's 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:26 AM   #17
Rhobz

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I have trailered an SS on one of the U-Haul trailers. The biggest things that would be different for the ZL1 would be that you want the springs to still have the blocks in them so that the front will clear the ramps and such for loading. You will also want some 18" 2x10 pieces of wood to help block / raise the front wheels so that the splitter will clear the front of the trailer.

The U-Haul trailer option is absolutely the way to go if you can not get an enclosed trailer. Your utility trailer isn't ideal for trailering a car, and you might well find when you get there that the car won't fit between the wheel wells on it.

Given the distance, rent the trailer at home on day 1 and drive to where the car is. Load the car the following morning and drive home (day 2). There's your $140 in rental charges because it will simply be for a 2 day rental and you won't pay mileage on it (pick up and return to the same location local to you).

They tow easy and don't have a big impact on MPG.
I also trailered my 1LE for a 1200 mile trip from CA to CO on a uhaul trailer after a suggestion from ember.

It worked out really well, was easy to load and that drop down fender made it super easy. For me, the rental charge was worth it even if simply reducing the risk of scratching up the interior trying to climb my happy ass around in there to get out through the trunk etc.

The 2x10 blocks under the front wheels are a must though.
Attached Images

Rhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:05 AM   #18
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhobz View Post
I also trailered my 1LE for a 1200 mile trip from CA to CO on a uhaul trailer after a suggestion from ember.

It worked out really well, was easy to load and that drop down fender made it super easy. For me, the rental charge was worth it even if simply reducing the risk of scratching up the interior trying to climb my happy ass around in there to get out through the trunk etc.

The 2x10 blocks under the front wheels are a must though.
Yeah, the drop-down fender is absolutely essential so you can easily (comparatively speaking, especially in reference to climbing out through the trunk) get in and out of the car using the door.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:08 AM   #19
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
Im thinking... first off rent the proper trailer.
But Im 5'8" at 170 lbs. I cant Imagine crawling between the seats to get to the back and crawl out the trunk...
Ours is a vert so I dont really have a good mental picture of that.
I have hard enough of a time getting out of the Recaros through the door.
Being a 'vert doesn't help you. The only way to put the top up is to have the car in some form of "on" mode and using the switch in the overhead console. This is amazingly hard to do while leaning in through the open window when the car is on flat ground - I could imagine trying to do it on a trailer. To make matters worse, you will then have to figure out how to cleanly close the window of the driver's door afterward.

The grey (NEVER the read) U-Haul trailers will accommodate these cars, even at their wider stances. The drop-down fender on the driver's side allows you to FULLY open the driver's side door for entry / exit.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:32 AM   #20
74z/28

Drives: Looking
Thanks guys, I will look into the U-Haul car trailer and some 2 x 10's.
74z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:11 PM   #21
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
No I just meant I couldnt picture it in the coupe. Not that I would try climbing out because of the vert. I cant imagine getting out of the Recaro...over the console...through the tunnel to the trunk... and then up through the opening...hell... if thats what I needed to do I would send a flatbed.
MR's 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:17 PM   #22
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
No I just meant I couldnt picture it in the coupe. Not that I would try climbing out because of the vert. I cant imagine getting out of the Recaro...over the console...through the tunnel to the trunk... and then up through the opening...hell... if thats what I needed to do I would send a flatbed.
Assuming you were essentially responding to me, I followed where you were going. I was taking it a step further by basically saying "it isn't any easier in a convertible, either" because that fold-down top gives a lot of folks the impression that you can just jump in and out of the car...