Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 12-12-2020, 08:38 PM   #1
Sindri

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Unhappy New Camaro, New Noises

I have a brand new 2021 1SS 1LE that I picked up Nov. 30th and I'm already having an issue. I've been driving the car every day since I got it, and am doing my best to follow the GM break in procedures - not dogging it or thrashing, varying RPM, keeping it under 4,000, etc. I mostly drive it in Sport mode, but have used it in Touring a few times. I feel like I've got a pretty good handle on how the car feels and the noises it should be making.

Well last night I was turning into my neighborhood and I heard a very sharp, distinct noise, like a sudden bang/pop, and then the car was louder. The only way I can describe it is like a hole suddenly appeared in my firewall and I was hearing more wind/road/engine noise coming from that area.

Today I took a look under the hood, my first thought was the sound tube became damaged/disconnected, but it seemed fine. I also looked under the car for anything that was damaged/dragging but didn't see anything.

I took it out for another drive today, and the noise is still there, and seems like it's getting worse. I usually run in Sport but switched to Touring and it's even more apparent. I've also noticed that there's some more vibration in the clutch/shifter and in the bottom of my seat. I also am detecting a sort of clicking/grinding noise that seems to be proportional to engine RPM. I'm familiar with clutch chatter in multi-plate setups but this seems somehow different/worse.

My first thought is something transmission related owing to the vibration in the shifter/clutch area. The other thing I'm thinking is something exhaust related, maybe a leak up near the header or cat? It's obviously still under warranty, so I'll end up taking it to the dealer and letting them address it, but I always like to do my homework before turning my car over to someone.

I'm just curious if anyone has experienced something like this. I find it helpful to be able to show up to the dealer with a list of symptoms and possible explanations.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Do or did you have a check engine light? If yes, it might be the valve spring failure that plagues several GM V8 engines due to a bad batch of springs, see https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2020...-valve-springs.

Regardless of that, I'd take it in ASAP, the majority of engine failures occur during the first few hundred miles and that's what you have the powertrain warranty for. Good luck and hope this gets fixed soon.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:01 PM   #3
Sindri

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Do or did you have a check engine light? If yes, it might be the valve spring failure that plagues several GM V8 engines due to a bad batch of springs, see https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2020...-valve-springs.
No CEL. But thank you for the link, I'll head over and give that a read.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:41 PM   #4
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
I would say Valve Spring issue which is a know issue for car built in the last 6 months or so (LT1 & I think LT4's)...

Also, your 2021 has a Sound Tube??? My mid-year 2020 2SS came without one from the factory...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:58 PM   #5
Sindri

Yeah, I'm starting to think its the valve spring - it would explain both the RPM rate noise and the shuddering/vibration.

The TSB calls out all engines (LT1, 2, 4, as well as some of the LT based truck engines) but specifically says cars built between June and September. But I'm sure these things can grow as more cars come to the forefront with the problem. Guess I'll be the guy to expand it to October cars.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm looking at the right thing... Or maybe it's some other wiring harness.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:22 AM   #6
2004YZFR1

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2SS 1LE
A video of the engine running or driving might help. I would think that a valve spring breaking would cause other issues. Or at least would make a very direct noise/ sound from that head. Good luck.
2004YZFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:59 AM   #7
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I would say Valve Spring issue which is a know issue for car built in the last 6 months or so (LT1 & I think LT4's)...

Also, your 2021 has a Sound Tube??? My mid-year 2020 2SS came without one from the factory...
If a valve went you think that would be it for the engine and it would come to a stop with all kinds of nasty sounds.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:14 AM   #8
Sindri

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLT1 View Post
If a valve went you think that would be it for the engine and it would come to a stop with all kinds of nasty sounds.
I think it depends on the nature of the failure. If it fails catastrophically (i.e. the spring just shatters) then sure, it will drop the valve into the cylinder and the piston is going to play ping-pong with it. But if the valve has a minor issue, such as being stretched, cracked, etc., or the breakage is down low on the spring and it's still able to sit in the seat, it's possible it's still holding onto the valve but is no longer able to effectively control it, meaning it's bouncing off the camshaft.

That's why I was asking in the other thread if anyone had any warning signs before it happened. I've noticed with my issue that if I'm in Sport mode with the NPP exhasut open its very hard to hear, it's much more noticeable in Touring mode when everything else is a bit quieter.

I'll try to get some video later today.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:54 AM   #9
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
I have a brand new 2021 1SS 1LE that I picked up Nov. 30th and I'm already having an issue. I've been driving the car every day since I got it, and am doing my best to follow the GM break in procedures - not dogging it or thrashing, varying RPM, keeping it under 4,000, etc. I mostly drive it in Sport mode, but have used it in Touring a few times. I feel like I've got a pretty good handle on how the car feels and the noises it should be making.

Well last night I was turning into my neighborhood and I heard a very sharp, distinct noise, like a sudden bang/pop, and then the car was louder. The only way I can describe it is like a hole suddenly appeared in my firewall and I was hearing more wind/road/engine noise coming from that area.

Today I took a look under the hood, my first thought was the sound tube became damaged/disconnected, but it seemed fine. I also looked under the car for anything that was damaged/dragging but didn't see anything.

I took it out for another drive today, and the noise is still there, and seems like it's getting worse. I usually run in Sport but switched to Touring and it's even more apparent. I've also noticed that there's some more vibration in the clutch/shifter and in the bottom of my seat. I also am detecting a sort of clicking/grinding noise that seems to be proportional to engine RPM. I'm familiar with clutch chatter in multi-plate setups but this seems somehow different/worse.

My first thought is something transmission related owing to the vibration in the shifter/clutch area. The other thing I'm thinking is something exhaust related, maybe a leak up near the header or cat? It's obviously still under warranty, so I'll end up taking it to the dealer and letting them address it, but I always like to do my homework before turning my car over to someone.

I'm just curious if anyone has experienced something like this. I find it helpful to be able to show up to the dealer with a list of symptoms and possible explanations.
Don't drive the car. Broken valve springs cause excessive valve noise, compression loss and can cause severe internal engine damage. The actual breaking of the valve springs is not always the most serious consequence. Actions following the breaking cause the most serious damage to the engine. When spring breaks, it may collapse just enough to allow the valve to drop into the cylinder, where the piston may strike it. In addition, the valve stem locks or keepers may release the valve and allow it to drop into the cylinder, causing severe damage to the piston, cylinder head, and other nearby parts.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 03:25 PM   #10
JSH

You might also buy a valve spring tester and pull each spring and record their strength so you'll know where they are right now
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:42 PM   #11
Sindri

I did start the car up today, put it up on ramps, and also popped the hood. I'm not so sure it's valve train at this point. Almost seems like it's clutch/transmission related. It seems worse in the car than out of it, which is odd.

Its a brand new car, 2 weeks old, 400 miles on it. Its still within warranty so its the dealers problem at this point.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:27 AM   #12
Sindri

I talked to the dealer this morning, they were hesitant to send a tow based on my description of the problems. We talked a bit and they finally said bring it in, if it grenades it's on them anyways, but I drove it there just fine, other than this clicking/grinding noise.

While driving I tried to pay attention and it seems like the noise/vibration mostly occurs between 1500 and 2500 RPM, approximately. I messed with the mode settings and it's way more apparent in Touring and basically non-existent in Sport mode. My working theory, now, is that its exhaust related, perhaps one of the NPP valves is stuck open or semi-open. It would explain the increase in noise, and why it's way less noticeable in Sport v. Touring modes. It would also explain the noise/vibration in that particular RPM band - it would create a flow imbalance between the sides which would manifest itself as a resonance with that peaks in the RPM band in question.

I'll let you all know once the dealer calls and I find out more.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:24 AM   #13
Speak99

Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
There is a break in procedure for the V8??? I drove it hard since i got it. 3000 KMS on it, converted to miles 1,864. I read the warranty on it, it stated no upgrades to the drive train and no tracking it. Done and done, excet one day i hammered it on the HWY and accidentally hit the paddle shifter and shifted down and the engine revved up to 6,000 rmp.
Speak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #14
JSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speak99 View Post
There is a break in procedure for the V8?
Hope not. Mine was dyno'd a bunch of times at 400 mi, so...
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.