Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-22-2020, 02:25 PM   #15
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
Glad to hear you are ok.
Were you out of control when you hit that cattleguard?
I must admit I have never seen a cattleguard before.
I have seen my share in FL. My aunt had a ranch just east of Williston FL so she had a few and seen many others dove hunting.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #16
Flowtie1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Wow glad your ok. Wild ride no doubt. Is the front top part of the clip fiberglass ?
Old 11-22-2020, 03:53 PM   #17
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Deer almost got my ZLE once. Caught it on the PDR.

Was just about to to WOT and catch up to some other Camaros ahead. There were 4 or 5 others ready to cross behind that one too.

Old 11-22-2020, 04:15 PM   #18
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Wowsers!

Hope you were alright, I mean, we know you’re alive but that doesn’t mean you couldn’t have been seriously hurt.
I was just fine! Other than a lot of ugly sounds, it was a pretty smooth slow down.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:22 PM   #19
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
Glad to hear you are ok.
Were you out of control when you hit that cattleguard?
I must admit I have never seen a cattleguard before.
I was in a slight skid but the cattle guard had a bump that upset the suspension.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:28 PM   #20
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5 View Post
Without question it is always safer to drive through an animal than swerve to avoid an animal.
Damn right!!
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:21 PM   #21
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Sucks but most important thing is your okay. You can always get another one.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:16 PM   #22
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
Glad your ok. Years ago we had such a huge deer problem that I'm convinced the insurance companies told the government to have aggressive hunting season.

There are two things that keep me out of trouble in my Camaro. Getting a ticket and hitting a deer. Just missed one a week ago and just missed a bear a week before that. Since our governor stopped bear hunting on state property our bears are thru the roof.

I wish I had an older truck and I would put a freaky bumper on it in the front for the deer and behind for all the idiots that tailgate the crap out of me.
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:53 PM   #23
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Without question it is always safer to drive through an animal than swerve to avoid an animal.
That's what I've always been taught - around here you're likely to swerve and hit a tree. One of my old professors was killed that way. Who knows what we would all do in the split second when a deer jumps out in front of us, though.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:37 PM   #24
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Very true, same goes for all the sh*t on the highways in SoCal...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:03 AM   #25
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Where was it? The scenery kinda looks like Sonoita/Patagonia...

Sorry for the loss.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:15 AM   #26
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
That's what I've always been taught - around here you're likely to swerve and hit a tree. One of my old professors was killed that way. Who knows what we would all do in the split second when a deer jumps out in front of us, though.
Same here. My first thought was the old teaching "don't swerve to miss" . Trees and ditches can be much more dangerous than hitting a deer.

Glad the OP is ok and thankfully the car is totaled (IMO). I would never want to keep or be able to look at a car the same after it has been repaired. Correction - especially after *I know* that it has been repaired. My a**hole eyes have a tendency to find everything. Will you be getting another ZL1??
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:40 AM   #27
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Same here. My first thought was the old teaching "don't swerve to miss" . Trees and ditches can be much more dangerous than hitting a deer.

Glad the OP is ok and thankfully the car is totaled (IMO). I would never want to keep or be able to look at a car the same after it has been repaired. Correction - especially after *I know* that it has been repaired. My a**hole eyes have a tendency to find everything. Will you be getting another ZL1??
For sure. If it can’t be avoided by braking only, it’s going to get smacked.

I mentioned the wife tagged one couple years ago, but I have crazier stories.

I was heading north bound just south of LaCrosse & there was this tree line & I saw two deer come bounding out from my left about a 100yrds away. The road has a wide curve there so my brain is trying to figure with our speeds, my changing of direction & how much brake I can give the truck & trailer I was hauling all in a matter of a few seconds. Jammed the brakes & reached for the brake controller. First deer got a right ass cheek pounding by the bumper & the second dear ran right into my drivers door.

A guy that works for us had one literally try to jump into his passenger window. He said he was just driving along & all of a sudden he hears the glass shatter, looks over & for a few seconds sees hooves dangling in the window.

Oh, another one was a friend of a friend that rolled his truck trying to miss a deer. He had just gotten it back from hitting one. He almost died because he got his head pinned between the roof & steering wheel. He came to choking & couldn’t breathe.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 11-23-2020 at 08:01 AM.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #28
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
gotroost, sorry for your loss... but happy to see you have a replacement on the way!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote