Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-22-2020, 10:04 AM   #71
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
Even if oil pump failures only occur with a small percentage of 17's and 18's, I wouldn't touch them. Once you're out of warranty it will happen, that's just how it usually works - and if it's truly a design flaw it's probably just a matter of time/mileage. Once the Camaro ZL1 is officially retired by GM (which is coming soon) I guarantee no one (in the know) will be looking for 17s and 18s
If they truly are “in the know”, they will know build date is very important. Oil pump issues have typically failed with build dates between approx 4/2017 and 11/2017. So any 2018 built past 1/1/2018 should be fine, the 40plus page poll on oil pump failures confirms.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:30 AM   #72
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I wouldn't be afraid to purchase a 2017 or 2018 ZL1. The pump failures are low in relation to production numbers. Aside from that if you scored one with low mileage for a good price, it can be changed fairly easy for piece of mind.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:34 AM   #73
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
I wouldn't be afraid to purchase a 2017 or 2018 ZL1. The pump failures are low in relation to production numbers. Aside from that if you scored one with low mileage for a good price, it can be changed fairly easy for piece of mind.
Wow, this is the exact opposite of what I heard. I've changed oil pumps, but not on this engine or any engine newer than 1980. So that's good to hear. I was under the impression by somebody else on this forum that this was a major endeavor to change the oil pump on an LT4.
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:04 AM   #74
KingLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
Wow, this is the exact opposite of what I heard. I've changed oil pumps, but not on this engine or any engine newer than 1980. So that's good to hear. I was under the impression by somebody else on this forum that this was a major endeavor to change the oil pump on an LT4.
There is definitely some work involved but it's not something that would keep me from buying a low mileage ZL1 is all I meant by me previous statement. The dealer claims 17hours worth of labor but I am sure a competent shop could replace it in less time then that. Dealerships love to milk the clock.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:31 AM   #75
HypeBlueZL1

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Martin View Post
Once my 2021 ZL-1 is built, I'm trading in my 2017 HBM ZL-1. Thanks to this discussion, I see that my 17 is worth more on KBB, so I know to expect a bit more trade value for it. I'm just under 34k miles at three and a half years owning it. I love Camaro6!

Tara

You can always plug your plate in to Carvana or Vroom and get an offer online. I think last time I did mine it was around 44k. Sad to see you trade your 17 in our cars were like a day apart. I only have 11k on mine, I'm the third owner.
HypeBlueZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:44 PM   #76
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
How much is a dealer going to charge? 3-4k? I wouldn't call that "fairly easy" and certainly not a job the average person is going to take on

It's simple, don't buy a '17-18 when there are plenty of good deals on '19+ cars out there, just not worth it so save a few grand when it could bite you in the ass hard later. If and when the pump fails who knows what other motor damage may occur.
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:11 PM   #77
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
There is definitely some work involved but it's not something that would keep me from buying a low mileage ZL1 is all I meant by me previous statement. The dealer claims 17hours worth of labor but I am sure a competent shop could replace it in less time then that. Dealerships love to milk the clock.
OK, Cause as you know, if something were to go out on me here like that, I'd have to buy the A Frame, pull the engine and do it myself. And the last time I did an engine swap was in 1994 (I had forgotten about that one, LOL, Most of the time, it was in the 80's). Engines have changed a great deal nowadays. It seems you have to be an electrical engineer to understand them. I'm totally lost on this ZL1. Simultaneously however, I'm terribly excited by the challenge of this engine, and my ability to drift a car 50% heavier and not quite as balanced as my previous baby through corners at speed. It's an extremely fun art. So what interface do you use to "tune" your ECM?
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:27 AM   #78
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
How much is a dealer going to charge? 3-4k? I wouldn't call that "fairly easy" and certainly not a job the average person is going to take on

It's simple, don't buy a '17-18 when there are plenty of good deals on '19+ cars out there, just not worth it so save a few grand when it could bite you in the ass hard later. If and when the pump fails who knows what other motor damage may occur.

If Toyota Camrys had bad oil pumps, I agree that 99.9% of owners would pay the dealer or an independent shop to swap it out. Camaro owners are in a different category. Lots of us are enthusiasts with well equipped shops, who enjoy working on cars. Most guys in this group would take a '17 - '18 over a 3 - 4k pricier '19 every time. I know I would, to avoid those swimming goggle tail lights if nothing else!
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:22 AM   #79
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
OK, Cause as you know, if something were to go out on me here like that, I'd have to buy the A Frame, pull the engine and do it myself. And the last time I did an engine swap was in 1994 (I had forgotten about that one, LOL, Most of the time, it was in the 80's). Engines have changed a great deal nowadays. It seems you have to be an electrical engineer to understand them. I'm totally lost on this ZL1. Simultaneously however, I'm terribly excited by the challenge of this engine, and my ability to drift a car 50% heavier and not quite as balanced as my previous baby through corners at speed. It's an extremely fun art. So what interface do you use to "tune" your ECM?
That could be an interesting topic. Consider starting your own thread about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
If Toyota Camrys had bad oil pumps, I agree that 99.9% of owners would pay the dealer or an independent shop to swap it out. Camaro owners are in a different category. Lots of us are enthusiasts with well equipped shops, who enjoy working on cars. Most guys in this group would take a '17 - '18 over a 3 - 4k pricier '19 every time. I know I would, to avoid those swimming goggle tail lights if nothing else!
I’m going to have to go ahead & disagree with ya on that one. Meaning all of it. (Well, except the Camry owner part) Just because I can drop the pan, pull the timing cover & swap out the oil pump doesn’t mean I want to. I’ve got better things to do.

The better tail lights are just a bonus.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 11-23-2020 at 07:53 AM.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:49 AM   #80
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
I’m going to have to go ahead & disagree with ya on that one. Meaning all of it. Just because I can drop the pan, pull the timing cover & swap out the oil pump doesn’t mean I want to. I’ve got better things to do.

The better tail lights are just a bonus.

I suppose it just depends on the individual. I still contend that plenty of forum members would be willing to install an oil pump to save $4k. Hell, if anyone wants to give me $4k, I'll swap the pump for you.

Just poking at you '19 & up guys on the tail lights, I have to admit that they have finally started to grow on me
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:21 AM   #81
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
I suppose it just depends on the individual. I still contend that plenty of forum members would be willing to install an oil pump to save $4k. Hell, if anyone wants to give me $4k, I'll swap the pump for you.

Just poking at you '19 & up guys on the tail lights, I have to admit that they have finally started to grow on me
You’re probably right there, but that’s if that 4K is a real number, I didn’t see it when I was looking to buy. Mileage made more of an impact than whether it was a 18 or 19.

I found a 18 & 19 (yellow & shock) with about the same mileage & the price was within $500 of each other with same options.

I’m not dicking around with an oil pump for $500. Even more to the point the dealer that had the 19 was offering $2k more for my trade. The one I bought mine from gave me $1,500 more than that.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:34 AM   #82
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Hey gtfoxy, the taillights on the 19-21s are looking better to me all the time! I’m hoping I don’t have an oil pump failure in my 2017 but at least my drivetrain warranty is still good until 2022 with no mods except a Roto-Fab which is not a problem with the local Chevy dealership.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #83
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Hey gtfoxy, the taillights on the 19-21s are looking better to me all the time! I’m hoping I don’t have an oil pump failure in my 2017 but at least my drivetrain warranty is still good until 2022 with no mods except a Roto-Fab which is not a problem with the local Chevy dealership.
I actually liked the new ones when they came out. Yes it’s a bit of what I would call Jap or European styling, but I just liked it.

For us that stick to mostly stock the power train warranty will cover it. There a lot of guys out there that that option is out the window. Then it boils down to do ya bite the bullet & change it or take the chance of having to do a full tear down & rebuild should it fail.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:59 AM   #84
KingLT1

Quote:

100.00 a hour x 17 hours would be 1700.00 + pump cost. I am sure it could be done for even less then that by a fair and competent mechanic. Dealerships love to overcharge for stuff. Some of us here are fairly mechanically inclined and can work on cars which is why I shared my opinion. I wouldn't take my car to the dealer because warranty was never and never will be a concern of mine with toy cars. If I break it, I can afford to fix it, or it can sit until I get time to fix it.

If I was in the market I would of jumped on a Hyper blue 2017 A10 1 owner with 4k miles for 49k that I seen locally. Pretty sure you won't find a 2019+ for that cheap. Also 2020+ A10's transmissions can not be tuned, so that would be a no go for me. I also don't prefer the 2019 taillight's as much as the 2017-18 but I wouldn't have a issue buying a 2019 if the price was right.

We can all have different opinion's and get a long here. You shared yours and I shared mine. I am not afraid of a potential oil pump issue or losing GM warranty if the deal is right on the car. You apparently are and that is ok.